Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New Long Ranger in .223/5.56

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: New Long Ranger in .223/5.56

Post by ESquared » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:37 pm

I remember that pain. My 308 LR was a low serial number and it wasn't long at all before it seized up on me. But, it was worth the trip back to Rice Lake, as it's just a "ragged hole maker" now. Will never know for sure what it was with the early Long Rangers - parts not exactly de-bugged, assembly issues on the line with such a different firing mechanism? Unfortunately, not all that uncommon for many new firearm releases these days. I went through a few of those in my Sig days, but mostly from the sidelines (fortunately).

Who knows, but you also know Henry will make it right. And once you get it back, get it dialed in and shoot a few (dozen? hundred?) rounds, I'm going to predict it won't be your last Henry.

You'll make it! Don't let the New Model Blues get you down! Your best shooting of that rifle is right around the corner!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:54 pm

Mags,
Go to the gun safe look in the back and pull out something you forgot about.
That will calm you down.
2 x
Pax at Justitia

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:06 pm

Excellent idea!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:35 pm

Kinda did that last night before sitting down with the Uberti. Some hadn't been out in a long while so pulled each out and double checked they were unloaded. Temporarily soothing.
Ojaileveraction wrote:Mags,
Go to the gun safe look in the back and pull out something you forgot about.
That will calm you down.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:55 pm

I figured you would. Thing that is annoying to myself, I fully anticipated the return and thought I was mentally/heartly prepared for it. The logic of my brain says no big deal. My heart however was not as prepared as I thought. I have high (logic) confidence Henry will make it right (even though there are rare instances shared here where it didn't (heart)). Thing is not sure at this point if I would want to put my heart through this again on some future Henry purchase. If the scaring is deep enough I won't. That is what I have to wait and see on.
ESquared wrote:I remember that pain. My 308 LR was a low serial number and it wasn't long at all before it seized up on me. But, it was worth the trip back to Rice Lake, as it's just a "ragged hole maker" now. Will never know for sure what it was with the early Long Rangers - parts not exactly de-bugged, assembly issues on the line with such a different firing mechanism? Unfortunately, not all that uncommon for many new firearm releases these days. I went through a few of those in my Sig days, but mostly from the sidelines (fortunately).

Who knows, but you also know Henry will make it right. And once you get it back, get it dialed in and shoot a few (dozen? hundred?) rounds, I'm going to predict it won't be your last Henry.

You'll make it! Don't let the New Model Blues get you down! Your best shooting of that rifle is right around the corner!
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:11 pm

The LR is on it's way back to me. No information on the repair specifics. It was there such a very short time I'm now suspicious as to what the repair involved.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:16 pm

Inbound updates
04/08/2019 HWS: "Henry warranty service has completed. Shipment will be sent to you shortly."
04/08/2019 7:55 A.M. UPS label created.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:48 pm

Wow, that was fast. You must have been at the head of the line! Sounds to me that they knew exactly what needed to be done, vs. doing a lot of trouble-shooting/diagnosis. New bore assembly, spur gear, magazine, and some other doo-dads, I'm guessing.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:33 pm

I had emailed Jeff this morning. He looked up the repair notes.
"Replaced magazine and adjusted lock up." I know what lock up is, but it's a mystery how one adjusts it.
ESquared wrote:Wow, that was fast. You must have been at the head of the line! Sounds to me that they knew exactly what needed to be done, vs. doing a lot of trouble-shooting/diagnosis. New bore assembly, spur gear, magazine, and some other doo-dads, I'm guessing.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:13 pm

Mags wrote:.I had emailed Jeff this morning. He looked up the repair notes.
"Replaced magazine and adjusted lock up." I know what lock up is, but it's a mystery how one adjusts it.

as is the case with a Browning BLR, a gear driven system is used to operate a Long Ranger's bolt .... if gears don't mesh correctly, the action will be off .... with that being the case, properly locking all of the various components into place when the lever is worked one way or the other could be jeopardized
0 x