Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A part just broke on my BBSC 357

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: A part just broke on my BBSC 357

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:07 pm

JEBar wrote:I think its more than a good bit of a stretch to jump from a confirmed report of a part breaking that no one here has ever seen break before to the assertion that Henry has systemic quality control, design and/or manufacturing issues .... I couldn't agree more that in a perfect world its best for every item a company produces to be perfect and last for several generations .... right off, I can't think of any company producing large quantities of any simple or complex products that ever has met that standard .... Henry has a proven history of making changes in design when proven necessary .... further, they have proven they will recall and retrofit all rifles returned to them .... the fact is, they mass produce a quality product at a reasonable price and support it with high quality service after the sale .... in my book, that's about as good as it gets
I did not "assert" there was a problem. I said IF (there was a "systemic" issue), it needed to be addressed. Please don't read anything into what I said. And I'm well aware of Quality Assurance/Process Control as a field of expertise. I was (once upon a time) Chairman of the Puget Sound Chapter of the American Society for Quality, and Senior Quality Engineer (ASQ Certified) for Boeing Commercial Aircraft.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:47 pm

I have a BBB from NJ and its been there twice for repair. Last time they replaced the entire insides. I also have some Rice Lake guns that I havent had any trouble with. I own Marlins to. One should have never left the factory it was so poorly put together. I have a Jeep a Dodge,Ford and a Pontiac. Fords been in for warranty work twice. Jeep needs to go in now for a recall. Ive got a Montana fifth wheel that left the factory with 7K axles and 6K rims. Things just happen. Perhaps the metal in the part that let go was no good. I read and followed a thread for many pages on another forum of one fella sending his Marlin 45-70 in a half dozen times and finally ended up with his money back.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:27 pm

Agreed, it is unfortunate but HRA will take care of it. Mechanical stuff happens. That's probably the scariest thing for me about reloading; if the press doesn't work like it's supposed to...I am not the guy to fix it! :)
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:33 pm

I also have a Q&R background. So I have a different take on this that I have shared before. Taken altogether, the problems we've seen shared here (not just this broken part) are indicative of outgoing quality problems. In any outgoing quality statistical sampling model used, what has been shared in this forum very likely represents the 'tip if the iceberg' in number of excursions as not all Henry owners are members here. I share MisterEd's opinion "Henry is spread far too thin in too many areas and this is what is contributing to some of the quality issues being experienced.". We all (or most all) recognize Henry also has "Best in Class" warranty and customer support. Unfortunately, we have seen some of our members give up and get a full refund and use the refund to buy something not-Henry. That spreading might turn into a long term problem for Henry. Let's hope not, I love mine and want another 1 or 2 or more!
GunnyGene wrote:
JEBar wrote:I think its more than a good bit of a stretch to jump from a confirmed report of a part breaking that no one here has ever seen break before to the assertion that Henry has systemic quality control, design and/or manufacturing issues .... I couldn't agree more that in a perfect world its best for every item a company produces to be perfect and last for several generations .... right off, I can't think of any company producing large quantities of any simple or complex products that ever has met that standard .... Henry has a proven history of making changes in design when proven necessary .... further, they have proven they will recall and retrofit all rifles returned to them .... the fact is, they mass produce a quality product at a reasonable price and support it with high quality service after the sale .... in my book, that's about as good as it gets
I did not "assert" there was a problem. I said IF (there was a "systemic" issue), it needed to be addressed. Please don't read anything into what I said. And I'm well aware of Quality Assurance/Process Control as a field of expertise. I was (once upon a time) Chairman of the Puget Sound Chapter of the American Society for Quality, and Senior Quality Engineer (ASQ Certified) for Boeing Commercial Aircraft.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:24 pm

Mags wrote:.
I also have a Q&R background. So I have a different take on this that I have shared before. Taken altogether, the problems we've seen shared here (not just this broken part) are indicative of outgoing quality problems. In any outgoing quality statistical sampling model used, what has been shared in this forum very likely represents the 'tip if the iceberg' in number of excursions as not all Henry owners are members here. I share MisterEd's opinion "Henry is spread far too thin in too many areas and this is what is contributing to some of the quality issues being experienced.". We all (or most all) recognize Henry also has "Best in Class" warranty and customer support. Unfortunately, we have seen some of our members give up and get a full refund and use the refund to buy something not-Henry. That spreading might turn into a long term problem for Henry. Let's hope not, I love mine and want another 1 or 2 or more!
GunnyGene wrote:
You're exactly right. My point was if - stress if - there is a issue, Henry cannot allow it to fester. It won't fix itself. Management needs to investigate and if there is a problem, get on top of it before it gets out of control. Too often, I've seen management ignore a problem that could have been taken care of easily in it's early stages. An example is the supplier problem I mentioned up thread, but there were others.
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:40 pm

Precisely. There was an article written a long time ago that analyzed the cost of quality issues based on who found them. Those experienced by the end user customers are the most expensive to mitigate.
GunnyGene wrote:...You're exactly right. My point was if - stress if - there is a issue, Henry cannot allow it to fester. It won't fix itself. Management needs to investigate and if there is a problem, get on top of it before it gets out of control. Too often, I've seen management ignore a problem that could have been taken care of easily in it's early stages. An example is the supplier problem I mentioned up thread, but there were others.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:51 pm

I will venture to state that a lot of companies have issues with their parts and products. The good part about Henry, it has a lifetime guarantee. So, if a customer is not satisfied with a product, it will attempt to address the issue for life. Not many companies will do that nowadays. I guess it is like an issuance policy. One does not want to use it; but, it does come in handy when required. The best part, the shooting can continue! :)
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:52 pm

It's like anything else; after the 1st one is sold, product support sells the next one.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:01 pm

absolutely correct for now. but can eventually catch up to a company as too costly after the fact. at some point folks get fed up and return their purchase for a refund regardless of the best warranty and customer support.
GFK wrote:I will venture to state that a lot of companies have issues with their parts and products. The good part about Henry, it has a lifetime guarantee. So, if a customer is not satisfied with a product, it will attempt to address the issue for life. Not many companies will do that nowadays. I guess it is like an issuance policy. One does not want to use it; but, it does come in handy when required. The best part, the shooting can continue! :)
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:08 pm

Mags wrote:.
Precisely. There was an article written a long time ago that analyzed the cost of quality issues based on who found them. Those experienced by the end user customers are the most expensive to mitigate.
GunnyGene wrote:...You're exactly right. My point was if - stress if - there is a issue, Henry cannot allow it to fester. It won't fix itself. Management needs to investigate and if there is a problem, get on top of it before it gets out of control. Too often, I've seen management ignore a problem that could have been taken care of easily in it's early stages. An example is the supplier problem I mentioned up thread, but there were others.
Probably written by Juran or Deming, or one of the other big names back in the 50's or 60's.
0 x