Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A part just broke on my BBSC 357

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: A part just broke on my BBSC 357

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:52 am

I understand the disappointment. But Im pretty sure they wont send you the part they will want the gun back. Things like that just happen sometimes. Give them a call I know they will fix it without any issues.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:14 am

Very odd, and doesn't seem like a part that would undergo much violent movement or pressure in normal operation. As noted, the good news is HRA will take care of it, and, NO, they'll very likely want the rifle back, for inspection, training and, hopefully, a parts supplier chat.

Please keep us posted on your progress.
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:17 am

But Im pretty sure they wont send you the part they will want the gun back.
Hopefully this is not the case and if so will at least sell the part so as to accommodate an owner who is capable of replacing it himself. I would not want to be burdened with sending it back over something this simple.
1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:27 am

ESquared wrote:Very odd, and doesn't seem like a part that would undergo much violent movement or pressure in normal operation. As noted, the good news is HRA will take care of it, and, NO, they'll very likely want the rifle back, for inspection, training and, hopefully, a parts supplier chat.

Please keep us posted on your progress.
When I was working for Boeing, supplier control was one of my primary responsibilities. I once put a fastener supplier out of business and the CEO in jail for deliberately producing substandard fasteners that were used on every plane Boeing Commercial built. We could not tolerate that kind of thing, either financially or per FAA regulations. It could have cost us our Production Cert. and/or a multi-million dollar fine if they had gotten into our assembly process. We were lucky that our Receiving Inspection caught it in time.
2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

deano5150
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by deano5150 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:56 am

Guess I’ll email Henry RA Monday. Dang. I just sent the slide of my Sig Sauer P365 back to Sig to replace a very dim front night sight. That will probably take 4-5 weeks to get back. Now this. Looks like the gun gods are frowning on me right now. Oh, well. Time to take the Golden Boy to the range. And the BBB 357. It’s good to have options. :D
2 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:02 pm

Sure does look to be made from very porous metal and not machined steel. Henry will take care of it.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:15 pm

probably MiM (metal injection molding) made part. Basically a metal powdered sludge that get cold molded by injection into a fragile part that is then baked at high temperature. Probably the failed part wasn't thoroughly baked enough to bind the metal powder.
bandit1250 wrote:Sure does look to be made from very porous metal and not machined steel. Henry will take care of it.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:17 pm

Why not email Henry today? Then the email is already waiting for them to see first thing Monday.
deano5150 wrote:Guess I’ll email Henry RA Monday. Dang. I just sent the slide of my Sig Sauer P365 back to Sig to replace a very dim front night sight. That will probably take 4-5 weeks to get back. Now this. Looks like the gun gods are frowning on me right now. Oh, well. Time to take the Golden Boy to the range. And the BBB 357. It’s good to have options. :D
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

deano5150
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by deano5150 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:19 pm

Mags wrote:.
Why not email Henry today? Then the email is already waiting for them to see first thing Monday.
deano5150 wrote:Guess I’ll email Henry RA Monday. Dang. I just sent the slide of my Sig Sauer P365 back to Sig to replace a very dim front night sight. That will probably take 4-5 weeks to get back. Now this. Looks like the gun gods are frowning on me right now. Oh, well. Time to take the Golden Boy to the range. And the BBB 357. It’s good to have options. :D
I’ll do that.
0 x

deano5150
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by deano5150 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:30 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
deano5150 wrote:
Mistered wrote:Look at the exploded parts diagram in your manual and identify it to start.
I think it’s part #35 locking bolt but I’m not positive. That part appears to attach to the carrier (or what I think of as the lifter).
That's what it looks like to me. There's a small spring associated with it also, which may be rattling around in the gun somewhere or maybe fell out. Stuff like this should never happen. Very disturbing. There is no room for substandard parts in a $700 gun, especially given Henry's reputation for quality firearms.

If I was Henry's QA Director, I'd be taking a hard look at whoever is the supplier for this or other small parts.

I couldn’t agree with you more. This is the third bad part I’ve had on this rifle. The rear sight had the white diamond painted off center and the magazine tube was bad. Henry shipped me both parts quickly and at no charge. If this locking block had broken and fallen out at the range I probably wouldn’t even know it. The only difference I can tell in the operation of the rifle is that the lever pops open much easier than it should.

Here’s a picture of that same part in my BBB 357.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x