Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Long Ranger Barrel Threading?

Vigiance
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Long Ranger Barrel Threading?

Post by Vigiance » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:12 pm

I have been eyeing the Long Ranger 308 w/ iron sights for a while now. The only thing stopping me from buying is the lack of a threaded barrel, but I want the quality of Henry so I'm not getting a Browning. Has anyone had any luck with threading the LR 308 barrel and moving the front sight back? Is the front sight dovetailed or banded-in?
Or, is there any word of a threaded version being released?
Thanks.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Long Ranger Barrel Threading?

Post by PT7 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:13 pm

KCMO.jpg
Vigiance wrote:I have been eyeing the Long Ranger 308 w/ iron sights for a while now.
Welcome to the HRF from the Show-Me-State, Vigiance.
Is the LR 308 going to be your first Henry, or do you have others already?

Enjoy your time on the Forum.
PT7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

~Пока~

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:31 pm

Vigiance wrote:I have been eyeing the Long Ranger 308 w/ iron sights for a while now. The only thing stopping me from buying is the lack of a threaded barrel, but I want the quality of Henry so I'm not getting a Browning.
I can't answer your questions, but I can welcome you to the forum from CT and tell you that if anyone here can answer you, they will. Otherwise, a quick call to Henry Customer Service ought to provide you with the answers. I look forward to reading about it.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wingnut » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:06 pm

Vigiance wrote:I have been eyeing the Long Ranger 308 w/ iron sights for a while now. The only thing stopping me from buying is the lack of a threaded barrel, but I want the quality of Henry so I'm not getting a Browning. Has anyone had any luck with threading the LR 308 barrel and moving the front sight back? Is the front sight dovetailed or banded-in?
Thanks.
There are 2 LR 308 versions. 1 with iron sights and 1 without. I doubt a threaded version will be released. Easy to get the sightless 1 threaded for a 1/2" or 7/16" thread and scoped. For the irons, the front sight is attached with at least 1 screw with a probable additional 1 under the blade. The barrel is not pinned nor glued but the action timing of the lever gearing is critical in reassembly. Henry recommends the action not be disassembled/reassembled by anyone but them. It might not be required in order to remove/reattach the barrel.

If/when loading for subsonic, remember the LR 308 has a 1:10 twist. This will not support an exotic very high BC, long boat tailed bullet. The best you could probably do is the Nolser 220g blunt nosed Partition or a heavy round nosed hardcast powdered with Trailboss.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
1 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:03 pm

I believe only the Frontier has a threaded barrel.

Welcome from the TV Oregon!
Vigiance wrote:I have been eyeing the Long Ranger 308 w/ iron sights for a while now. The only thing stopping me from buying is the lack of a threaded barrel, but I want the quality of Henry so I'm not getting a Browning. Has anyone had any luck with threading the LR 308 barrel and moving the front sight back? Is the front sight dovetailed or banded-in?
Thanks.
Last edited by Mags on Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Vigiance
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Vigiance » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:06 pm

PT7 wrote:KCMO.jpg
Vigiance wrote:I have been eyeing the Long Ranger 308 w/ iron sights for a while now.
Welcome to the HRF from the Show-Me-State, Vigiance.

Enjoy your time on the Forum.
PT7
Hi PT7, this would be my very first Henry. Also eyeing a 45-70 all-weather but that's a different story. Thanks for the welcome.
0 x

Vigiance
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Vigiance » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:10 pm

wingnut wrote:
Thanks.
There are 2 LR 308 versions. 1 with iron sights and 1 without. I doubt a threaded version will be released. Easy to get the sightless 1 threaded for a 1/2" or 7/16" thread and scoped. For the irons, the front sight is attached with at least 1 screw with a probable additional 1 under the blade. The barrel is not pinned nor glued but the action timing of the lever gearing is critical in reassembly. Henry recommends the action not be disassembled/reassembled by anyone but them. It might not be required in order to remove/reattach the barrel.

If/when loading for subsonic, remember the LR 308 has a 1:10 twist. This will not support an exotic very high BC, long boat tailed bullet. The best you could probably do is the Nolser 220g blunt nosed Partition or a heavy round nosed hardcast powdered with Trailboss.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the info, I didn't know about the barrel removal... And interesting about the front sight. It would probably cost a pretty penny to get it threaded and front sight moved. The 1:10 twist doesn't bother me. I'll just wait for now...might give Henry a call. Just looking for a top quality 308 lever gun with irons and I hate how the BLR is a pain to disassemble and how the trigger moves with the lever. Gross.

Does anyone happen to have a close-up picture of the front sight?
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:41 pm

Vigiance wrote:
PT7 wrote:
PT7
Hi PT7, this would be my very first Henry. Also eyeing a 45-70 all-weather but that's a different story. Thanks for the welcome.
Being your first Henry, that will make the LR 308 a special rifle for you....cool 8-) .

Although a different caliber, two months ago I got a new Henry BB All-Weather in .357 Magnum. Winter weather has slowed my range visits down, but once spring settles in, I only need to get to an outdoor range to fine-tune my initial sight-in. This Henry model is a really sharp-looking rifle, and the fit & finish on mine is all-around excellent. I think the .45-70 AW is a good second choice. You definitely are on the right trail! ;)
PT7
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:42 pm

Vigiance wrote:And interesting about the front sight. It would probably cost a pretty penny to get it threaded and front sight moved.
I believe that to remove and relocate the front site would require a skilled gunsmith .... the same would be true for threading the barrel ... if you have a gunsmith capable of handling those mods, it might be worthwhile to seek his advice and get a cost estimate .... should you reconsider adding a scope or other such sight, purchasing a LR without open sites would only require threading the barrel .... just curious, what attachment do you plan to attach to the threaded barrel
0 x

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wingnut » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:35 pm

And interesting about the front sight. It would probably cost a pretty penny to get it threaded and front sight moved.
The cost should be less than $200. However, unless you have a very skinny can you will not be able to see over it. The front sight will be blocked.

The barrel must be detached from the action to thread. It will be the item spinning in the lathe for machining.

Here is the front sight:
LR308FS.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob