Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Removing fore stock on carbine?

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Removing fore stock on carbine?

Post by fortyshooter » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:52 am

My steel carbine has that little up and down movement at the receiver end.
Do you have to remove the magazine tube assembly to remove or slide the fore grip forward?

Wanted to try and tighten up the fit a little.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Removing fore stock on carbine?

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:24 am

I'm assuming your fore end is a bit loose on the receiver end. I had the same problem with my H001. I found that if I loosened the barrel band screw, then pulled the fore end snugly toward the receiver and re-tightened the barrel band screw that it solved the problem. Let us know if that helps you. Good luck.
fortyshooter wrote:My steel carbine has that little up and down movement at the receiver end.
Do you have to remove the magazine tube assembly to remove or slide the fore grip forward?

Wanted to try and tighten up the fit a little.
3 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:52 pm

Yeah I tried that before but after a shooting session it has loosened up a bit.
My plan was to remove the grip and put a single layer of that black Gorilla tape just on the milled edge that sits inside the receiver.
You wouldn't see it and it would take up that little bit of extra clearance.

I had the rifle down for cleaning but didn't want to get into removing the mag tube which looks like is the only way to remove the
dove tail bracket keeping the grip from moving forward.
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:46 pm

From talking with Henry....you have drive out the mag tube dove tail retainer at the end of barrel which lets the tube drop down enough to slide out the fore stock cap retainer. Think I will just leave it be as it's just a tiny bit of up and down stock movement just at the receiver end.
Now if you ever have to remove the mag tube you will have to remove that bottom plate on the receiver which contains the lever assembly to GET to the tube lock screw.
They should have drilled an access hole thru that plate to get to the lock screw!
2 x

Hidden Mortimer
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hidden Mortimer » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:43 pm

I’m recurectimg this thread because my Henry 45 colt has the same issue. I already sent it back to Henry and it was tight until I shot it and the play came back. Also when I tap the side of the stock, it sounds hollow and almost like it’s hitting the side of the tube. The movement is very tiny but it’s enough to make me wonder if it’ll get worse. I’ll contact Henry right now and report back later. The issue with stock fitting on this rifle has been ongoing. I wonder what it could be.
1 x

Hidden Mortimer
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hidden Mortimer » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:47 pm

So I just got done emailing with Henry and they are sending me a new forearm. Thomas Kotz said it is very easy.
1 x

Omegaspeedy
Wrangler
Australia

Post by Omegaspeedy » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:48 am

Mine had a small amount of movement so I unscrewed the two screws on the barrel band, and carefully manipulated the fore end forward and down (takes a bit of jiggling) then packed some rubber between it and the magazine so there is a continuous pressure applied. Was easy and took 20-30mins all up. No movement at all now.
0 x
H006MR .357 Carbine How many 746
HO12R .44 How many 857

Hidden Mortimer
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hidden Mortimer » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:59 am

Yeah it should be an easy fix. I did also noticed that the band keeps separating from the stock even after smoking the screws on there. I think that it might be an issue with the shape of the stock. I got faith that the new one will fix it.
0 x