Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

First Henry... H012M

vtyler98
Tenderfoot
United States of America

First Henry... H012M

Post by vtyler98 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:13 pm

Well I finally purchased my first Henry after much reading and research! I’m a big fan of the old style lever guns, have a few Marlin 30-30s and decided to get a Henry .357 steel version to go with my .357 revolver! I’m excited about shooting it in the next few days but did have a few concerns with it.

The rifle forearm is a bit loose, I checked both screws and they are snug. I was going to try to take it off and maybe shim it but couldn’t figure out how to remove the dovetailed insert that the barrel band screws go into. The other issue is the wood on the stock doesn’t match up very well with the metal and there is a fairly big gap of just the metal and no wood covering it. There was also an area near the barrel band where the blueing was completely scraped off and a tiny patch of rust. I’ll try to take some pictures and post tonight to help show it.

My question is, from what I’ve read, Henry has great customer service. Would it be worthwhile to get them to send me a box and ship to them or would it be something they could send a new forearm/stock and I replace them myself? Thanks!
3 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: First Henry... H012M

Post by markiver54 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:27 pm

First off...welcome to a great forum from Western North Carolina. I too have the BBS 357 20". Mine also has very slight movement of the fore end. It is very slight, so not enough to bother me. I did however have a small blueing and rust area on the lever. Contacted Henry and they promptly sent me a replacement. Yes, their customer service is second to none. I know they will take care of ANY issues you have. I love mine!...post often...glad you are here!
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:39 pm

I would email them with all the details you included above, along with photos and let Henry take it from there. My prediction is that they'll send you a prepaid shipping label and have you return it to them for either repair or replacement.
None of what you described is acceptable to an owner or to Henry, in my experience, so I'm sure I'm not alone here in urging you to contact Henry.

A great place to start is with Dee, in customer service: dee@henryusa.com

Please keep us posted and WELCOME TO THE FORUM!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:01 pm

welcome indeed, happy to have you join our community ... as already noted, please do feel free to read and post often .... our Henry 357 has quickly become one of our favorites .... sorry you are having issues and I do concur with the recommendation for you contact Henry where you can give them the details and they can guide you as to how to proceed ... in addition, please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add your Henry to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 394#p82394
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:32 pm

Welcome from the Show-Me-State, Vtyler.
KCMO.jpg
Excellent choice in caliber for your first Henry. And there are a bunch of .357 owners here on the Forum; lots of Folk to chat with about your rifle.

No doubt about it. Go after the top-notch CS, which Henry offers. They will take care of your BBS and be sure you're satisfied. Enjoy taking it out for your first range time.
PT7
vtyler98 wrote:Well I finally purchased my first Henry after much reading and research! I’m a big fan of the old style lever guns....decided to get a Henry .357 steel version to go with my .357 revolver! I’m excited about shooting it in the next few days.

My question is, from what I’ve read, Henry has great customer service. Would it be worthwhile to get them to send me a box and ship to them or would it be something they could send a new forearm/stock and I replace them myself? Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

~Пока~

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:44 pm

Hey Tyler. Welcome from Nebraska! Three years ago I placed one of these rifles on lay away at Cabelas. 40 days later I learned that they had come out with the carbine. I ate the charge and returned the rifle. It took me a year to find a deal, and it paid off. I've owned my 357 steel carbine for 2 years and could not be more pleased.

Short answer, send it in. When finished, you will have a rifle to make your day.

Good luck, keep us posted.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:03 pm

Welcome to the forum from CT. You will not be disappointed by HRA. I look forward to your posts about this. Glad you joined us.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:10 pm

Welcome! !
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

vtyler98
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by vtyler98 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:19 am

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and advice! Here are the pictures of the areas I mentioned, maybe I’m being a bit too picky? It’s a fine rifle and I definitely can’t wait to test it out; super smooth action that’s even better than my JM Marlins and I actually like the feeding tube a bit better personally.

The first pic is of the rifle and the next 3 are the areas I noticed some issues with.
B92948C1-91F5-4241-83D1-5D7946B14C72.jpeg
F4A7ECE9-BCF1-42BB-BA56-63AD191F9917.jpeg
FFA74C85-4F25-4F48-A45E-A4BEC2246DBD.jpeg
BDC8DBF0-A195-4E39-A135-CB1180E6A2AF.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:19 am

Send it back to Henry. They'll make it right.

Welcome from the TV Oregon!
TV Geo Map sm.jpg
vtyler98 wrote:...My question is, from what I’ve read, Henry has great customer service. Would it be worthwhile to get them to send me a box and ship to them or would it be something they could send a new forearm/stock and I replace them myself? Thanks!
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234