Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Slings and things

Shawn1974
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Slings and things

Post by Shawn1974 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:24 pm

Just ordered my second Henry....a Big Boy Brass .44 carbine. Now the waiting begins! I was looking to put a sling on it but I don't think it comes with studs installed. Looking for advice on which way to go: install studs and traditional sling, or get one of the no-drill slings. I have ordered a set of fiber-optic sights as well. I have never used them but I think they might be agreeable to me. Also I thought about trying a Williams FP peep like I put on my H010 .45-70. Any thoughts?
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Slings and things

Post by JEBar » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:15 pm

welcome indeed, delighted to have you join us .... all three of our Henry rifles (2 BBS & 1 CCH) came with sling swivel studs .... one of ours is a 44 Mag and 1 is a 45-7, both are fine calibers .... I've seen several recommendations for Brass sling options, no doubt some of our folks will be along with recommendations .... please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add your Henry rifles to our community's total ....

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 969#p81969
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:48 pm

Welcome from the TV Oregon! Take a look at Brass Stacker no-drill harness slings for Henry rifles: https://brassstacker.com/No-Drill-Harne ... HENRY.html There are other merchants for no-drill and I'm sure other members here will offer their suggestions too.

This is what I have on my Henry .30-30.
20180425_184606sm.jpg
Shawn1974 wrote:Just ordered my second Henry....a Big Boy Brass .44 carbine. Now the waiting begins! I was looking to put a sling on it but I don't think it comes with studs installed. Looking for advice on which way to go: install studs and traditional sling, or get one of the no-drill slings. I have ordered a set of fiber-optic sights as well. I have never used them but I think they might be agreeable to me. Also I thought about trying a Williams FP peep like I put on my H010 .45-70. Any thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Shawn1974
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Shawn1974 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:33 am

Thanks for the replies! I was just looking at Brass Stacker. Might pick me up sling, she'll holder, and lever wrap! Those things look great! Where the sling clamps on the mag tube...is it sturdy? I know my H010 tube has a seam in it that would allow it to squish down a bit. Is the tube on the Big Boys different?
0 x

JayZuv
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by JayZuv » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:00 am

I have a brass stacker sling on my BBB, and I love it. When I got my Henry I saw how gorgeous the wood was and refused to do anything to it. The clamp on the mag tube feels very sturdy and I wouldn’t worry about it coming lose. Also, their slings use very good quality leather that accents all the brass and wood well
1 x
H006 .41
H006 .44
Win. 94 30-30
Weatherby Mark V .300 Wby
Ruger .44 Carbine

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:08 am

Welcome from Alberta. Best way I know to pack a rifle...bit more investment required though... :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:52 am

I think owning the horse overhead would put it out of the reach of most of us ;) . Beautiful tack, on a nice Palomino Quarter Horse, right? :)
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:56 am

Welcome from the Show-Me-State, Shawn.
KCMO.jpg
At times I've thought about adding a sling. I shoot almost always off hand and standing. Know a sling would help stabilize that barrel to a certain degree. Every little bit helps! ;)

I did have a "Quiver" scabbard for my first BBB, which I purchased through Skinner Sights. I gifted it to my son-in-law to carry his Henry .45-70 when we deer hunt together. So at the very least, a sling would make my hike to the deer blind somewhat easier.

I'd look forward to your photos when you sling your sling onto your BBB .44 carbine.
PT7
0 x

~Пока~

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:08 pm

Great photo of your scabbard and Cowboy gear, RR. I remember when you stepped us through the different iterations of how to carry your rifle on horseback. Great photos in that thread, too.

Sure do miss Badger's ears though this time. :)
PT7
RanchRoper wrote:Welcome from Alberta. Best way I know to pack a rifle...bit more investment required though... :roll:
1 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:57 pm

I had the same feelings as JayZuv. "I saw how gorgeous the wood was and refused to do anything to it." The tube clamp grips well and does not slip. There are 2 hex screws and you tighten them such that the 2 halves of the tube clamp have equal gap above and below the mag tube. That way it doesn't pinch or crimp the mag tube. Make sure to leave gap of about and inch between the forestock and the clamp location.

If you order one from Brass Stacker measure the diameter of your outer mag tube first. Some of the Henry rifles changed mag tub diameter between gen1 and gen 2 versions. So you want to make sure when you 'checkout' you select the correct tube clamp size. With a phone call or email you can custom order the sling (at a discount) without the tube clamp. Brass Stacker buys their tube clamps from GrovTec. GrovTec has a wider selection of tube clamp sizes to choose from. Both companies have excellent customer service. Their people are every bit as nice as the people at HenryUSA. I have names and contact information at Brass Stacker if you need them and coupon codes that should still be valid with GrovTec.
Shawn1974 wrote:Thanks for the replies! I was just looking at Brass Stacker. Might pick me up sling, she'll holder, and lever wrap! Those things look great! Where the sling clamps on the mag tube...is it sturdy? I know my H010 tube has a seam in it that would allow it to squish down a bit. Is the tube on the Big Boys different?
JayZuv wrote:I have a brass stacker sling on my BBB, and I love it. When I got my Henry I saw how gorgeous the wood was and refused to do anything to it. The clamp on the mag tube feels very sturdy and I wouldn’t worry about it coming lose. Also, their slings use very good quality leather that accents all the brass and wood well
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234