Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Pistol caliber shell holder

shootest
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Pistol caliber shell holder

Post by shootest » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:24 am

Where can I find a rifle stock shell holder for pistol calibers? I would like one in .357 mag. All I see are rifle which are too long or for the .45 caliber size cartridges. Thanks!
0 x
Texas, not just a State but a state of mind.

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: Pistol caliber shell holder

Post by ESquared » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:30 am

"Shell holder" in my mind is a machined part that holds the base of the shell in a reloading press. Is that what you mean?
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:55 am

Where can I find a rifle stock shell holder for pistol calibers?
I think he means a buttstock style lace on or elastic to carry extra ammo. At least this is what I interpret it as.
2 x

shootest
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by shootest » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:55 am

ESquared wrote:"Shell holder" in my mind is a machined part that holds the base of the shell in a reloading press. Is that what you mean?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
Texas, not just a State but a state of mind.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:59 pm

shootest wrote:Where can I find a rifle stock shell holder for pistol calibers? I would like one in .357 mag. All I see are rifle which are too long or for the .45 caliber size cartridges. Thanks!
back in the late 60's I wanted a rifle stock ammo holder for 44 Mags and couldn't find one .... I finally bought a made out of nylon (or that type of material) that was designed to hold shotgun shells .... I then sewed a seam down the center of each loop .... it served me well for many years
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:16 pm

Shootest,

I've look at a variety of rifle stock shell holders when I had my .357 Magnum BBB. Very hard to find that accessory in a pistol caliber; most all are made for rifle calibers or shotshells.

If I wanted to carry some .357 cartridges on my rifle stock, I would have a simple DIY holder. In fact, this is one I would select to put on a Henry wood stock....I think the leather color looks great, and would go alongside the beautiful colors of Henry wood.
https://www.amazon.com/vsdfvsdfv-Cartri ... 207&sr=8-2

Although it's a slide belt carrier, I'd strap it on the rifle stock with paracord. And actually I think paracord would secure it better than a slip-over-the-stock holder. Would work just fine for me; might not be what you would want to do.

If you do find the specific product, I'd bet others on the Forum might be interested. Best on your search.
PT7
shootest wrote:Where can I find a rifle stock shell holder for pistol calibers? I would like one in .357 mag. All I see are rifle which are too long or for the .45 caliber size cartridges. Thanks!
1 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:20 pm

Would one for .30-30/.308 work for the .357?
For example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K45KKVW/re ... il_1?psc=1.

.30-30
Neck diameter: .330 in (8.4 mm)
Shoulder diameter: .401 in (10.2 mm)
Base diameter: .422 in (10.7 mm)
Rim diameter: .422 in (10.7 mm)
Neck diameter: .379 in (9.6 mm)
Shoulder diameter: .379 in (9.6 mm)
Base diameter: .379 in (9.6 mm)
Rim diameter: .440 in (11.2 mm)
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:42 pm

What you're looking for is called a Butt Cuff. Been thinking about getting one for my .41mag carbine. I've done business with the below for about 3 years and they produce the finest sturdiest gun leather I've ever run across. But if you're looking for fancy embossing, etc. you won't get it from them. They make serious working mans leather for serious shooters/hunters/guides.

Right here:

Diamond D Custom Leather. They ain't cheap tho.

https://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/p ... -butt-cuff
2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:24 pm

Someone.. maybe RR...not sure posted some pricey, but beautiful ones maybe 2 or three weeks ago. Can't remember the web site. Thought I saved to favorites, but can't find now. Maybe whoever it was will come forward because I would like to have the link again. Some were even two tone versions. Really nice!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:27 pm

markiver54 wrote:Someone.. maybe RR...not sure posted some pricey, but beautiful ones maybe 2 or three weeks ago. Can't remember the web site. Thought I saved to favorites, but can't find now. Maybe whoever it was will come forward because I would like to have the link again. Some were even two tone versions. Really nice!
Might have been this guy. Also custom and VERY expensive. But any custom work ain't gonna be cheap no matter where you find it. :o I used to do a fair bit of custom woodwork, but I always had to explain to customers that I could not compete with Chinese imports or factory made stuff. My selling point was multi-generation level quality, but it came at a price. Lost a few who thought that I would make them something cheaper than they could buy at WallyWorld - not a snowballs chance in the nether regions. :lol: . It's the same with other crafts. Makes for a small market base, but I didn't care about that.

http://www.levergunleather.com/p_buttstock_covers.htm
Last edited by GunnyGene on Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.