Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Split Case remover - .44 Magnum Big Boy

DoctorBill
Tenderfoot

Split Case remover - .44 Magnum Big Boy

Post by DoctorBill » Wed May 11, 2016 6:49 pm

I recently had a second case (Nickel Plated) split and leave the front half in the
Chamber of my Henry Big Boy .44 Magnum Rifle.

Couldn't get it out with the old oversized barrel brush technique or a 'pick', so I developed
(or invented) a SPLIT CASE REMOVER for myself.

I had posted it on another Forum (where my handle is "Martini-Shooter") before I could get on THIS forum.
I just found out about THIS FORUM from a fellow on a local gun trading site.
http://www.spokaneguntrader.com/viewtop ... 9&t=103200

Was trying to find out why the old Henryfirearms.org site was unresponsive.
The owner vanished....as it were.

Have a look: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... ry-Big-Boy

It looks like very few folk are interested in it. Otherwise I might have tried to have it made
by someone.

DoctorBill
Eastern Washington State area
Last edited by DoctorBill on Thu May 12, 2016 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
I wouldn't trust Hillary Clinton
with the Church's Poor Box
let alone our Nation's Treasury.

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Split Case remover - .44 Magnum Big Boy

Post by PT7 » Wed May 11, 2016 6:55 pm

Welcome from the Show-Me-State, DoctorBill.
You'll find the owners here are doing a great job, and do plan to stick around! ;)
Enjoy your visits to the Forums.
0 x

~Пока~

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Wed May 11, 2016 7:00 pm

Welcome and thanks!
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed May 11, 2016 8:07 pm

I find this topic to be fascinating .... we've been firing and reloading large numbers of 44 mags since the mid 60's .... I honestly have no clue how many tens of thousands of rounds that has included, we've fired over 300 in the last 8 days .... we've had numbers of cases to split but never had one to separate and leave part of the casing in the chamber ....
0 x

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Wed May 11, 2016 8:20 pm

Nickle plated brass splits super fast . I'm not going to go into why but you can look it up on the internet . The fix is easy just do not use nickle plated brass . The way you resize the brass and a Lyman M-die keep you from over work the brass . Most people over crimp and there brass because is not all the same length . I've use this brass for 16 yrs and loaded over 90 times and used in 4 different guns in SASS/CAS matches and practice without single failure . I never annealed the brass ever either . I got 500 new Remy piece of brass to replace the original brass if I ever got a failure 13 yrs ago . The still new :D :D :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Wed May 11, 2016 10:59 pm

I did something similar in the seventies to get the front half of a case out of a Navy Arms 1866 in .38 special. I just took a bolt , turned down the head and cut self taping slots in the end after turning down the diameter slightly.
i took out the bolt and used a screwdriver slot cut in the bolt head to tighten it into the brass stuck in the barrel.
after that a few taps with a hardwood dowel and out she came. The rifle is now a wall hanger and that's why I don't like toggle link leverguns. The head separation was from a factory load.
0 x

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Wed May 11, 2016 11:46 pm

Travlin wrote: The rifle is now a wall hanger and that's why I don't like toggle link leverguns. The head separation was from a factory load.
The toggle system was design for low pressure black powder ammo . The 1892 Winc was design high pressure smokeless powder . I know over 20 people in SASS that shoot 38 special in a 1866 and shoot a 1000 a month in them for 10 yrs or so with no problem . But 60% of them roll there own ammo too . Would you be interested selling it . If so pics and price please I think Uberti made most of them for Navy Arms .
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Thu May 12, 2016 8:26 am

Thanks for the offer TX. The rifle feeds and ejects loaded rounds fine. I loaded up so very mild 158 gr. round nosed ammo for it. It would not extract the fired shell which was easily picked out with my fingernail. So I think there is an extractor issue. I would not feel right selling it knowing it has that issue. I know that type of action is favored by the CAS .bunch because of the straight line feed.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu May 12, 2016 8:34 am

Welcome from CT, DoctorBill. You've started an interesting discussion.

And, I agree with tx gunrunner
tx gunrunner wrote:Nickle plated brass splits super fast.
Early on, I had three Remington nickel plated cases from the same batch that split at the rim after three reloads. Since then, I only use them for sub-sonic lead loads with a gentle crimp, and so far, so good.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Thu May 12, 2016 8:52 am

Travlin wrote:Thanks for the offer TX. The rifle feeds and ejects loaded rounds fine. I loaded up so very mild 158 gr. round nosed ammo for it. It would not extract the fired shell which was easily picked out with my fingernail. So I think there is an extractor issue. I would not feel right selling it knowing it has that issue. I know that type of action is favored by the CAS .bunch because of the straight line feed.
I'm a gunsmith so I can fix it . The extraction problem is normally a loose screw or not adjust correctly . ...... The straight wall cartridge works best in the toggle system because of that straight feed . That is one reason why I have a 73 is for 38 spec [ below ] . This is the 1st and only target I shot at 50 yds with this gun .

I've seen nickle brass split on 1st firing .....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x