Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New 45-70 AW already going back for warranty work.

Hunter2678
Tenderfoot
United States of America

New 45-70 AW already going back for warranty work.

Post by Hunter2678 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:28 am

So I picked up my new 45-70 AW the other day, gave it a decent once-over and when I got home to start putting on my rail I noticed the front sight was pushed noticeably to one side. Seems it drifted on the car ride home. To my surprise I was able to easily push it back into center with my fingers as it was wayy too loose. I can push it out with my pinky and the sight isn't the slightest bit scored from friction. Makes me wonder how it got missed at the factory. Sooo..the the wheels in my head started turning. Do I even bother to call henry about it or do I make a fix it later myself?. Im gonna shoot it scoped anyways. So after some thought I call Henry to see what they say and they want me to return the rifle immediately. Call me crazy but for some reason I feel like there might be a bigger issue with this rifle bc of the way the guy talked to me. I told him my friend is a gunsmith and could easily fix it if I ever wanted him to in the future. The guy said no we want to make sure its in spec and that no gunsmith would be able to fix it. ......OK I thought to myself seems pretty far fetched, to be honest sounds a little suspect to me. Im thinking what else is possibly wrong with this gun? I mean its either the sight was milled too small or the dovetail in thew barrel was cut a thou too big or a some combination of both...Its not rocket science. Very annoying to have to do this as I was anxiously planning to load test this weekend. Just makes me wonder if anyone else has had this specific issue?
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: New 45-70 AW already going back for warranty work.

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:04 am

Hunter
No one wants to send there gun in. I just sent one in. I have had the gun sine 2004. I have sent guns back to Henry more that once. It just happens. Im sure the warranty person on the other end has specific guidelines with which to go buy when dealing with the warranty issues. Im not making excuses for Henry I get youre frustration. I have not had this issue with mine or the gun I sent in. If it was me I would send it in and let them go over it once again to check it out.
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:16 am

No doubt it's a bummer to have to send it back before even shooting it, but a) it's not right; b) they'll make it right; and c) you deserve to have it be right on their dime vs. putting up with it or having someone else fix it.

Maybe they'll use it as a "training moment" with their folks in the plant...
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:35 am

well understood on hating to have to send your Henry back .... I can't think of anything I purchase that I don't feel pretty much the same way when I have to take it in or send it back for service .... your assessment that its either the sight was milled too small or the dovetail in thew barrel was cut a thou too big is dead on .... Henry needs to know which or as you also mentioned could be a combination of both .... if one dovetail was cut too large, how many others did it cut .. :?: .. if the sight was milled too small, how many others were done the same way .... I doubt that there is some other systemic issue, rather just the most efficient way for Henry to address your issue and to determine if there are other similar ones
2 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:41 am

I would start by having them send you a new front sight.
It could very well be the front sight was improperly fitted and it the root of the problem.
You can also measure the front sight dovetail with calipers to see if it was cut properly and compare it to the sight base.
Do what you feel is best but this is not necessarily a 'send back' need at this point.
1 x

Hunter2678
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Hunter2678 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:54 am

Mistered wrote:I would start by having them send you a new front sight.
It could very well be the front sight was improperly fitted and it the root of the problem.
You can also measure the front sight dovetail with calipers to see if it was cut properly and compare it to the sight base.
Do what you feel is best but this is not necessarily a 'send back' need at this point.
Those were my thoughts too..I wanted to go down those paths while on the phone with them but had to cut the call short bc my kids were acting up. Ill try to call them back today and discuss these options.
0 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:10 am

I had the same issue on my .22 I used Blue Loctite once I centered the sight. Still can drift it if needed. About a year now.
1 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

Hunter2678
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Hunter2678 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:29 am

The Wiz wrote:I had the same issue on my .22 I used Blue Loctite once I centered the sight. Still can drift it if needed. About a year now.

Ah, good to know wiz...makes me think I should just put a small crater in the bottom of the sight bead to create some resistance in the dovetail and get on my my life!!
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:05 am

A better way than buggering up the front sight or dovetail is to cut an aluminum shim from an aluminum can and place it under the front sight, between it and the bottom of the dovetail. This creates enough upward pressure on the front sight against the wings of the dovetail to keep things nice and snug.
1 x

Flinch
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Flinch » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:17 am

I would send a new rifle back to Henry if there was an issue with it.

Can you determine the date of manufacture by looking at the box and paperwork? Could this possibly be a new old stock firearm you purchased?

This is the sort of thing people like myself look at when contemplating their next purchase and I am actively looking for a centerfire lever action rifle to purchase in the near future. Please keep up updated.
0 x
Be thankful we are not getting all the government we are paying for. - Will Rogers