Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Long Ranger

TraderVic
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Long Ranger

Post by TraderVic » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:16 pm

I've handled and cycled several LR rifles in recent months, however they typically did not have their magazines as they were on display. I handled and cycled one with the magazine the other day, and it cycled very rough. Is this common and if so, do they smooth out with use ?
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: Long Ranger

Post by ESquared » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:26 pm

Whatever was going on with the rough one you cycled the other day had nothing to do with the magazine being in place. Mine cycles like butter with or without the magazine. Once you get the lever started, gravity takes over and it almost cycles itself.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

TraderVic
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by TraderVic » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:43 pm

I'm hearing the rough cycling issue from different people with new rifles. So this may be something to call up Henry and send it back in for "factory smoothing" ?
0 x

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wingnut » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:54 pm

The mag follower is a little rough on top and does put a small amount of pressure on the bolt. Lightly oil the follower and putting some gun grease (Gunslick or other) on the bolt & lever gearing will smooth the action greatly. Lightly oil all the other innards too.
0 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

Pudsky
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Pudsky » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:29 pm

I just got my Long Ranger back from Henry service. New bolt, spur gear and magazine. The new magazine has a stronger spring than the old mag. It does provide a bit more drag on the bolt, but not enough to worry about. It cycles perfect while loaded. I have yet to get it to the range. Probably smooth out after cycling and oiling.
3 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:44 pm

please continue to post updates so that we can follow along
1 x