Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New Henry!

TNman
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: New Henry!

Post by TNman » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:37 pm

Awesome....getting her set up will be a lot of fun...keep us posted on progress...
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:35 am

'shooter, I'll be using a RCBS "Rock Chucker", cica 1977. Works just fine for my needs.
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:18 pm

Rifletom wrote:'shooter, I'll be using a RCBS "Rock Chucker", cica 1977. Works just fine for my needs.

ours has been churning them out since the mid 60's .... loaded over a 100 308's along with topping off boxes of 44 Mag and 45-70 New Year's day .... I have no doubt that it will still be doing so long after I'm gone
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:51 pm

Congrats & Enjoy, Tom!

I really like the caliber you've selected. Recently started shooting .45 Colt, although using a revolver, not a rifle. Keep on looking at the Henry BBS model H012C, too. It would be my choice to get. The last time I checked the BGS price it seemed pretty reasonable to me. Maybe someday...

Looking forward to some pics and Range Reports, too. Does sound like fun is heading your way.! :D
Rifletom wrote:Ordered a new Henry HO12C[.45 Colt] from Bud's...... Can not wait to receive that from local FFL. This is gonna be a fun winter. Yeaa!
1 x

~Пока~

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:46 pm

Thanks PT7. Dies will be here Mon, then Thursday, I'll pickup some Starline cases. I am ready to roll! I have some 200gr LRNFP to try. But, the main load will be Missouri 250 or 255 LRNFP and either Unique or Universal. Yep, fun winter project in the works.
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:58 pm

This caliber has me very intrigued, and I really look forward to hearing how you like it. Looks like you got the Classic (Brass), right? I know that some day I'll have to own a Brass Henry, and I'm just trying to figure out which caliber (and why). So far, I really like reloading 357, and more straight-wall seems to make more sense to me than another rifle caliber.
Will be most interested in how you think it feels in terms of felt recoil without the padded stock and how you feel it handled that caliber without the checkered stocks. Those have been the two things that have prevented me from getting really serious about a Classic (and my indecisiveness over caliber), so please keep us posted!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:18 pm

Rifletom wrote:Thanks PT7. Dies will be here Mon, then Thursday, I'll pickup some Starline cases. I am ready to roll! I have some 200gr LRNFP to try. But, the main load will be Missouri 250 or 255 LRNFP and either Unique or Universal. Yep, fun winter project in the works.
I don't know about the .45 Colt Henrys but my .44 Mag loves the Missouri Bullets HI-Tec coated 240 gr. SWC bullet.
It feeds them like butter and leaves a very clean bore! 9 to 9.5 gr. of Unique should work well with the .45 Colt in the rifle or even a nice Ruger 6 shot companion revolver!
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:23 pm

Here is my rear sight mod you were interested in...
Makes it a bit easier for me to get a good sight picture.
4 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:32 pm

Yes, I see! Hmm, a little dremel work perhaps. Looks very good. Thanks.
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:50 pm

ESquared wrote:This caliber has me very intrigued, and I really look forward to hearing how you like it. Looks like you got the Classic (Brass), right? I know that some day I'll have to own a Brass Henry, and I'm just trying to figure out which caliber (and why). So far, I really like reloading 357, and more straight-wall seems to make more sense to me than another rifle caliber.
Will be most interested in how you think it feels in terms of felt recoil without the padded stock and how you feel it handled that caliber without the checkered stocks. Those have been the two things that have prevented me from getting really serious about a Classic (and my indecisiveness over caliber), so please keep us posted!
ESquared, the .45 I bought does have the recoil pad. It's the Big Boy Steel with the 20" round barrel. Blued/walnut.
I don't even have the rifle yet, but, I'll start handloading for it next week! Ready for this rifle? You bet!
1 x