Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Bolt Removal

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Extractor

Post by JEBar » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:53 pm

Araknd1984 wrote:I have a H006M .38/.357 mag. I've had a problem with the extractor falling out. I lost one last year and Henry sent a replacement. I lost the replacement while at the range. Looking at the slot in the bolt where it sits, it would appear there is nothing holding it in place. I've seen some extractors held in place with a pin that passes through the bottom making it function like a rocker arm.
When you look into the H006 slot you simply see the firing pin.
Has anybody else experienced this?
Thanks
Dennis

first, welcome to our forum .... happy to have you join us .... most interesting that you've had extractors to fall out .... your rifle's bolt should be in contact with it at all times and prevent it from falling out .... the only way I can see that happening is for the bolt to move too far back when the lever is pushed all the way down to eject a casing .... if that is what happens its most certainly a return to Henry for repair type of problems .... have you spoken to their customer service .... please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add your rifle to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 337#p91337
0 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: Bolt Removal

Post by Cofisher » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:27 pm

It is just a little awkward to place it. Once you get the hang of it, easy peasy.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:31 pm

Araknd1984 wrote:I have a H006M .38/.357 mag. I've had a problem with the extractor falling out. I lost one last year and Henry sent a replacement. I lost the replacement while at the range. Looking at the slot in the bolt where it sits, it would appear there is nothing holding it in place. I've seen some extractors held in place with a pin that passes through the bottom making it function like a rocker arm.
When you look into the H006 slot you simply see the firing pin.
Has anybody else experienced this?
Thanks
Dennis
I have not had this happen to me. But, the manual shows the extractor together with a spring. I assume the spring holds the extractor in place while seated in the bolt (parts number 57 and 58):

https://assets.henryusa.com/uploads/201 ... Manual.pdf
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:10 pm

GFK wrote:the manual shows the extractor together with a spring. I assume the spring holds the extractor in place while seated in the bolt (parts number 57 and 58):
are you referring to the ejector spring or extractor spring falling out
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Bolt Removal

Post by GFK » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:52 pm

From what I have gathered, Dennis stated he is losing his extractor. I am guessing that the extractor is not seated well in the spring. If the spring was not present, the extractor probably would have not stayed in place for a year or so. Mind you, this is just a guess though.
1 x

Araknd1984
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Araknd1984 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:07 pm

Thanks for the input. There is a spring right behind the extractor. I would estimate it's about 2 mm in diameter and about 11 mm long. I noticed also, that it does not protrude from the bore in which it sits. I had wondered if it is intended to protrude and exert forward pressure on the rear of the extractor. That would tend to keep it tight in the slot in the bolt.

Henry is sending me a replacement extractor.
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:51 pm

Araknd1984 wrote:Thanks for the input. There is a spring right behind the extractor. I would estimate it's about 2 mm in diameter and about 11 mm long. I noticed also, that it does not protrude from the bore in which it sits. I had wondered if it is intended to protrude and exert forward pressure on the rear of the extractor. That would tend to keep it tight in the slot in the bolt.

Henry is sending me a replacement extractor.
I would try and seat the extractor as far into the spring without the rear end protruding, then seat the extractor and the spring into the bore together. If you have tried that and still had an issue, I would get Henry to address the issue.
0 x