Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Magazine Tube Failure

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Magazine Tube Failure

Post by JEBar » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:02 pm

earlier today Mike (The Wiz) (first picture) joined me at a local private range during a really nice day in our part of the country .... he brought his beautiful Henry 357 Golden Boy & a 22 LR both equipped with rear peep sights .... early on I ran about 20 rounds through our 45-70, 7 through the chrony and the rest testing grouping (results posted in another ongoing thread) .... after firing at 20 yards (first picture), we moved back to 50 yards and finally to 100 yards .... at 100 we were both firing my Henry 44 Mag with it's Nikon scope at skeet mounted on the range's backstop .... the last time Mike fired it he was on his way to put up more skeet when I noticed a split in outer magazine tube .... I've already called Henry .... first thing in the morning a return label will be emailed to me .... this the rifle I plan to take with us on our coming trip to Texas .... they have promised to expedite the repair so as to make that possible
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Magazine Tube Failure

Post by GFK » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:16 pm

Sorry about your situation. Glad you got a return slip. I guess the 45-70 has a kick! About how many rounds have you ran through it so far? From your posts, I gather it is a lot.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:09 pm

JEBar wrote:.... at 100 we were both firing my Henry 44 Mag with it's Nikon scope at skeet mounted on the range's backstop .... the last time Mike fired it he was on his way to put up more skeet when I noticed a split in outer magazine tube .... I've already called Henry .... first thing in the morning a return label will be emailed to me .... this the rifle I plan to take with us on our coming trip to Texas .... they have promised to expedite the repair so as to make that possible
Keep us posted, JEBar.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:33 pm

GFK wrote:Sorry about your situation. Glad you got a return slip. I guess the 45-70 has a kick! About how many rounds have you ran through it so far? From your posts, I gather it is a lot.
the tube issue is on our Henry 44 Mag that has literally had 10's if thousands of rounds fired through it .... I seem to remember the same type of issue with the early 45-70's but so far it hasn't been one with ours .... I know she's fired well over a thousand rounds, probably closer to a couple of thousand
0 x

shootinthecinders
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by shootinthecinders » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:49 pm

JEBar, I hope that Henry can rectify the mag tube split and return your rifle before you leave for Texas. Were there rounds in the magazine tube that pushed the inner mag tube out or did you pull it out after noticing the split?
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:39 pm

JEBar wrote:
GFK wrote:Sorry about your situation. Glad you got a return slip. I guess the 45-70 has a kick! About how many rounds have you ran through it so far? From your posts, I gather it is a lot.
the tube issue is on our Henry 44 Mag that has literally had 10's if thousands of rounds fired through it ....
Oh. Sorry. Thanks!
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:45 pm

Seems like an odd failure, but must just be metal fatigue from all that shootin'!

Here's hoping you get it back in time for your trip!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:00 pm

shootinthecinders wrote:JEBar, I hope that Henry can rectify the mag tube split and return your rifle before you leave for Texas. Were there rounds in the magazine tube that pushed the inner mag tube out or did you pull it out after noticing the split?
Mike said the inner mage tube came out a few inches when he fired his last round .... when I walked over to it with the intent of loading 10 more rounds I immediately noticed the inner tube sticking out and the split in the outer tube .... as an interesting side note, when I first called Henry, I spoke with the same fellow who handled shipping our 44 back for the ejection problem .... his first question was, "How far did it launch the tube?" .. :lol: .. tomorrow morning I'll pull the scope, give hear a good cleaning, box her up and wait on the return label .... less than an hour after it does, she'll be handed over to UPS
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:07 pm

ESquared wrote:Seems like an odd failure, but must just be metal fatigue from all that shootin'!

Here's hoping you get it back in time for your trip!
in thinking back, I believe it had been failing for a while... I'd noticed that it had gotten very easy to lock the inner tube .... I thought the O-ring probably needed to be replaced .... never considered the outer tube was failing
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:02 pm

I go with metal fatigue as well. But there is also a design contribution to the failure. The outer mag tube is not a solid tube. It's a curled piece of metal formed into tube with an open seam that runs the length of tube. The open seam is facing the barrel making it nearly unnoticeable. One can see the open seem by looking through the loading port of the outer mag tube. Because of this the weakest part of the mag tube metal is between the locking notch on one side of the tube and the open seam on the other side. The outer mag tube would be more durable in this area if the mag tube seam opposite the notch had been spot welded (then machined smooth).
2 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234