Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Magazine Tube Failure

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Magazine Tube Failure

Post by Ojaileveraction » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:54 pm

The HRA mag tube closure is one of those money saving details that detracts from the overall finish.
There are many really good mag tube closure designs that have Been out there for years.
JEBar wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:45 pm
metal fatigue makes sense to me and having it take place at weak spot in the outer tube seems like a logical probability .... as to the design, I can see where a solid tube or one welded at strategic spots would be stronger .... I remember when they had to completely redesign the outer tube for the 45-70's .... in thinking back, I believe it was for much the same type of failures .... I suspect that if/when it should be warranted, they would reengineer as needed .... given, ours has most probably fired as many or more than most and I fully intend to keep up the pace .... having a lifetime warranty sure ain't a bad thing ;)
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:53 pm

The HRA mag tube closure is one of those money saving details that detracts from the overall finish.
There are many really good mag tube closure designs that have Been out there for years.
This is true.
It would have been nice to see a 'sleeve' on the bottom of the knurled finger knob that would have covered the end of the stationary tube to the pin recess, not unlike that of say a Marlin 39 load tube.
It would have 'contained' the end of the stationary tube and the cracking most likely would have not occurred.
When I saw the lack of the sleeve on my BBB I was examining at the store (and the 'O' ring) I though this was a bit 'cheesy' but figured I could eventually machine a new finger knob with a sleeve if it became problematic.
Actually the 'O' ring idea was not a bad 'stopgap' but a flat, round spring might have been a better idea as it would keep the tube snug and not allow it to move fore and aft slightly - and, quite frankly, most guns do not have rubber parts.
IMG_1498[1].JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:13 pm

Depends on the Henry rifle. The BB Steel Carbine has a machined sleeve closure design as does the new side gates and a few others.

357 mag tube end.jpg
Ojaileveraction wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:54 pm
Mistered wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:53 pm
This is true.
It would have been nice to see a 'sleeve' on the bottom of the knurled finger knob that would have covered the end of the stationary tube to the pin recess, not unlike that of say a Marlin 39 load tube.
It would have 'contained' the end of the stationary tube and the cracking most likely would have not occurred.
When I saw the lack of the sleeve on my BBB I was examining at the store (and the 'O' ring) I though this was a bit 'cheesy' but figured I could eventually machine a new finger knob with a sleeve if it became problematic.
Actually the 'O' ring idea was not a bad 'stopgap' but a flat, round spring might have been a better idea as it would keep the tube snug and not allow it to move fore and aft slightly - and, quite frankly, most guns do not have rubber parts.
IMG_1498[1].JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:29 pm

Depends on the Henry rifle. The BB Steel Carbine has a machined sleeve closure des
The O ring should be integral not a after thought.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:40 pm

A mice nuts detail. The o-ring on my .30-30 I consider integral. Heck I didn't even know there was an o-ring until it came up in someone else's post a few months after I bought the rifle. Then I had to get the rifle out and take a good look at it to confirm that yup there's an o-ring there.
Ojaileveraction wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:29 pm
Depends on the Henry rifle. The BB Steel Carbine has a machined sleeve closure des
The O ring should be integral not a after thought.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:23 am

A mice nuts detail.
It's the only detail that makes a difference.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:06 am

The o-ring is more prominent on some Henry models, especially those few where the o-ring is prone to fall off unnoticed. Not so much on others where the o-ring has a good fit and for the most part is nearly cosmetically invisible.
Ojaileveraction wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:23 am
A mice nuts detail.
It's the only detail that makes a difference.
0 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:53 pm

This is what is on a Marlin mod 23 a pump action 22lr. Was my Great-grandfather's.
its unshootable.
20190614_204016.jpg
unlocks an outer sleeve that is over the mag tube and the as the outer sleeve moves the spring and followed move with it.
0 x
Pax at Justitia