Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Magazine Tube Failure

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Magazine Tube Failure

Post by JEBar » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:45 pm

metal fatigue makes sense to me and having it take place at weak spot in the outer tube seems like a logical probability .... as to the design, I can see where a solid tube or one welded at strategic spots would be stronger .... I remember when they had to completely redesign the outer tube for the 45-70's .... in thinking back, I believe it was for much the same type of failures .... I suspect that if/when it should be warranted, they would reengineer as needed .... given, ours has most probably fired as many or more than most and I fully intend to keep up the pace .... having a lifetime warranty sure ain't a bad thing ;)
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:19 pm

it's the best! :!:
JEBar wrote: .... having a lifetime warranty sure ain't a bad thing ;)
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

mrguvna
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by mrguvna » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:19 pm

Hey I will bet they will get this done and you will be happy. I sent mine back a few weeks ago for a problem with the mag tueb and within 7 days back good as new, maybe better, with a thank you note, and a follow up to see if I was satisfied.

good luck and let us know how it works out
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:45 pm

mrguvna wrote:Hey I will bet they will get this done and you will be happy. I sent mine back a few weeks ago for a problem with the mag tueb and within 7 days back good as new, maybe better, with a thank you note, and a follow up to see if I was satisfied.

good luck and let us know how it works out

of that there I have absolutely no doubt .... this is the second time I've had to send it back .... coverage of doing so is being posted in the following link :

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 1&start=50

I most certainly plat to keep that thread updated .... in answer to how I feel about a rifle that has had to be sent back twice, I'm perfectly content with it .... its a machine and like any machine, if used hard enough and often enough it will eventually need some work .... our rifle has literally been fired tens of thousands of rounds .... there has to be some but I'd bet that there aren't many privately owned big bore rifles that have have fired more full power loads .... this weekend we plan to load another 1,000 or more rounds for it .... when it gets back, she'll quickly be back on the range again
2 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon May 13, 2019 9:03 pm

UPDATE :

earlier today I took our Henry 44 back to the same range shown in the picture in Post 1.... since Dec when this thread was started, I've had to remove and reinstall the scope twice .... after bore sighting it with our Wheeler Laser Magnetic Bore Sighter ===> http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... ter#p93149 my goal for today was to fine tune the sights to where the impact point is 1.6" high at 25 yds ,,,, realistically having the center of the 44 caliber hole be exactly 1.6" high ain't likely so further refinements are anticipated when I get a chance to fire it at a 100 yards I should need to make a few small adjustments .... per our ballistics calculator that will give us a trajectory dead sighted at 125 yards and 3" low at 150 yards .... mission accomplished for today .... 150 rounds down range later, is it clear that if I do my part, she will now consistently take out dime to nickle size pieces of broken skeet
4 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue May 14, 2019 7:45 pm

Nice work! Sounds like you have it tuned up just fine. Would love to shoot that one in KC later this summer.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue May 14, 2019 7:46 pm

ESquared wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:45 pm
Nice work! Sounds like you have it tuned up just fine. Would love to shoot that one in KC later this summer.
it and several hundred rounds will be there .. ;)
1 x

Firefly
Tenderfoot
Great Britain

Post by Firefly » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:14 am

My BBB in .44 mag has just done the same thing, split in exactly the same place as the photo, problem for me is I am in UK so returning the gun is impossible, have to try a local gunsmith and see what he can do
0 x

Firefly
Tenderfoot
Great Britain

Post by Firefly » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:32 am

Update

I contacted Henry who replied in minutes with the UK importers details, contacted them and was given the part number for my gunship to order, so information given very quickly. Don't know what the part and work is going to cost but at least I can get it fixed.
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:37 pm

no surprise but always really good to hear :D
0 x