Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Big Boy Brass 357 accuracy

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Big Boy Brass 357 accuracy

Post by Steve51 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:26 am

Good Shootin!

I once had a scope on my .44 Big Boy Brass and it improved my accuracy but I also did not like the look of a scope on a lever gun so am back to iron sights. I replaced the buckhorn sight with a Skinner barrel mount sight.
1 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:33 am

Echo the above statements about your impressive POIs, Dean. I didn't see anything about the sight you used, but looks like you're using the stock buckhorn rear sight? If so, your Range Report is even more impressive.

I also prefer the looks of a Henry rifle sans scope. You really don't need to "wonder" if you'd get smaller groups with another optic. I'd vote to keep your .357 stock, and I'd take any of your targets, any day. ;)

Well done!
PT7
2 x

~Пока~

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:17 am

Great shooting, Deano. Thanks for posting the report and the photos. I'm impressed.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:24 am

Nice work right there, Deano! I understand what you mean about the front sight basically covering things up at 50 yds, which makes your 50 yd groups even better.

You might consider the Skinner Peep and Lyman globe on the front as a nice middle ground between the buckhorns and a small scope. A set of Shaver inserts for the Lyman globe will get you to an even more exact sight picture. This pic is from my SGC, but you get the idea...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

deano5150
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by deano5150 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:55 am

PT7 wrote:Echo the above statements about your impressive POIs, Dean. I didn't see anything about the sight you used, but looks like you're using the stock buckhorn rear sight? If so, your Range Report is even more impressive.

I also prefer the looks of a Henry rifle sans scope. You really don't need to "wonder" if you'd get smaller groups with another optic. I'd vote to keep your .357 stock, and I'd take any of your targets, any day. ;)

Well done!
PT7
The sights are all stock, PT. For awhile I had a Skinner barrel mounted peep on my Golden Boy 22LR. It worked and it looked great but my groups were not as tight. I ended up putting the factory rear sight back on. At some point I may put the Skinner back on. It’s certainly easier to pick up the front sight with the peep. And my eyes are showing signs of wear. :lol:
0 x

deano5150
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by deano5150 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:56 am

CT_Shooter wrote:Great shooting, Deano. Thanks for posting the report and the photos. I'm impressed.
Thanks!
0 x

deano5150
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by deano5150 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:59 am

ESquared wrote:Nice work right there, Deano! I understand what you mean about the front sight basically covering things up at 50 yds, which makes your 50 yd groups even better.

You might consider the Skinner Peep and Lyman globe on the front as a nice middle ground between the buckhorns and a small scope. A set of Shaver inserts for the Lyman globe will get you to an even more exact sight picture. This pic is from my SGC, but you get the idea...
I am very interested in your sight system. I’m planning on getting a BBS Carbine in 357 soon. I would be more willing to try different sights on that rifle and keep my brass babies stock.
2 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:41 pm

deano5150 wrote:
ESquared wrote:Nice work right there, Deano! I understand what you mean about the front sight basically covering things up at 50 yds, which makes your 50 yd groups even better.

I am very interested in your sight system. I’m planning on getting a BBS Carbine in 357 soon. I would be more willing to try different sights on that rifle and keep my brass babies stock.
Sounds like a plan! If you haven't already, digi into the "Sights" sub-forum. Lots of posts on Skinners, Lyman globes, etc. Forum member TractorTad was my go-to expert on the Lyman globe front sight (they come in various heights, like all front sights, and there's math/geometry involved in figuring out which one to get; talk to Tad!).

Keep us posted on your progress. You'll love the BBS Carbine, lots of fans of that rifle around here!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

deano5150
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by deano5150 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:22 am

ESquared wrote:
deano5150 wrote:

Sounds like a plan! If you haven't already, digi into the "Sights" sub-forum. Lots of posts on Skinners, Lyman globes, etc. Forum member TractorTad was my go-to expert on the Lyman globe front sight (they come in various heights, like all front sights, and there's math/geometry involved in figuring out which one to get; talk to Tad!).

Keep us posted on your progress. You'll love the BBS Carbine, lots of fans of that rifle around here!
Thanks for the advice! I’ll post when I get my new rifle. It may take a 2-3 months to afford one.
0 x

TN Mark
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by TN Mark » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:48 pm

Nice grouping. What kind of rest are you shooting from? A simple front support or are both ends secured in a rest?
1 x