Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

"Frozen" Screws on Receiver

lovesleverguns
Tenderfoot
United States of America

"Frozen" Screws on Receiver

Post by lovesleverguns » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:38 pm

Purchased a scope for my H009 and have only been able to remove one of the top screws on the receiver. The others, no matter how much torque I apply won't budge them and I'm using a Grace screwdriver. I certainly don't want to strip them so any advice would be greatly appreciated. This is a much different scenario than the You Tube video I watched. You could have turned them with a fingernail. Thanks, Mike
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: "Frozen" Screws on Receiver

Post by PT7 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:29 pm

I had one "frozen" receiver screw on my BBS Carbine when I went to install a Skinner Express. I also used my Grace screwdriver.
What I did to loosen it was to drop some RemOil onto the screw. Waited a while, and when the oil penetrated was able to get it out (although it was still plenty tight). That was my experience. Hope other Folk have some suggestions, as well.

PT7
0 x

~Пока~

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:39 pm

Heat the area with a HAIR DRYER on high - NOT a heat gun and put some Rem Oil on the edge of the screw. Let cool and repeat a couple times, let sit for a day or two then heat again and try to remove it.
1 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:08 pm

Oil, heat, repeat. I use that technique all the time in instrument repair. I usually use a flame from my torch or a resistance soldering unit. I'm not sure that either should be adapted to firearms. Also, two other suggestions: 1. find a good fitting screwdriver, fit it in the slot, rap the end of the screwdriver several times lightly then try to turn. 2. Get a candle and melt some of it around the screw. Try to turn it out after some of the candle wax has had time to work it's way to the threads. I've also use that trick a few times. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFdFsfSAuyc
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:37 pm

Shakey Jake wrote:Oil, heat, repeat. I use that technique all the time in instrument repair. I usually use a flame from my torch or a resistance soldering unit. I'm not sure that either should be adapted to firearms. Also, two other suggestions: 1. find a good fitting screwdriver, fit it in the slot, rap the end of the screwdriver several times lightly then try to turn. 2. Get a candle and melt some of it around the screw. Try to turn it out after some of the candle wax has had time to work it's way to the threads. I've also use that trick a few times. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFdFsfSAuyc
interesting .... using a candle is completely new to me .... thanks for the info and link .... I'm filing this one away for use down the line
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:01 pm

I've found PB Blaster to be a very effective penetrating oil .... so far, I've not used it on a firearm ...my concern has been not knowing what, if any, affect it would have on the firearm's finish .... if anyone has any experience using it, I'd sure appreciate use evaluations
0 x

lovesleverguns
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by lovesleverguns » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:47 am

Thanks all for the suggestions! Much appreciated.
0 x