Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry 308 Long Ranger

TraderVic
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Henry 308 Long Ranger

Post by TraderVic » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:57 am

Looking at this rifle pretty closely for deer hunting. Several questions come to mind ;
1. Does/will Henry offer a large loop option for this rifle ?
2. Does anyone make "see-thru" mounts for this rifle ?
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Henry 308 Long Ranger

Post by PT7 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:15 am

TraderVic wrote:Looking at this rifle pretty closely for deer hunting. Several questions come to mind ;
These are the large loop levers available on Henry's web site: https://henrypride.com/collections/rifle-parts
If yours is not there, I'd check with Henry. They list a contact person at the bottom of that parts page.

Sorry, can't help out on the mounts question. Others may chime in on this.
0 x

~Пока~

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:18 am

1. No large loop lever from Henry at this point, but who knows what's in the works?
2. Not aware of any third party manufacturers making see-through mounts, but a quick email to Henry C/S would be your best bet. I take it by your question that you're looking at the version with sights; I opted to go straight to scope, so bought one without sights and never really searched for see-throughs.
dee@henryusa.com will help you, drop her a note...
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:26 am

TraderVic wrote:Looking at this rifle pretty closely for deer hunting. Several questions come to mind ;
a Henry Long Ranger should make an excellent deer rifle ....

1. as noted above, Henry doesn't list a large loop lever for the H014 Long Ranger .... I'd recommend you call Henry at 201-858-4400 to make sure

2. Henry does offer a Long Ranger Picatinny Rail ====> https://henrypride.com/collections/rifl ... 3736093721 .... see through Picatinny scope rings are widely available from Amazon and most sources that handle scope rings
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:02 pm

The skinner two-piece mounts might be low enough to see over. Scroll down to the Two-Piece section for the Long Ranger.
http://www.skinnersights.com/scope_mounts_31.html
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:42 pm

As an advocate of mounting rifle scopes as low as possible, I'd recommend going with a quick detachable rings instead, as Mags suggested, to maintain open sight use as an option. I suspect that "see thru" rings would place the scope pretty high above the comb. Warne, Weaver Grand Slam, and no doubt other QD rings are also available for Weaver type bases.
1 x

TraderVic
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by TraderVic » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:02 pm

I'll contact Henry this week for more information regarding the LR.
A very good hunting friend and I are both seriously considering a LR 308. While I would likely mount a scope in a low profile manner, my friend likes his lever gun set up with see thru mounts. I understand that these mounts raise one's cheek, thus compromising the needed three point anchor on a rifle for accurate, consistent shooting. My friend has hunted this way for years and he isn't going to change. Considering all of these mannerisms, he shoots a lot of deer.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:53 pm

If you haven't already, and you can, I'd recommend getting your hands on one. The stock has a higher comb and is really set up for a scope. I put Medium height Warne rings on mine and there's absolutely no need for a cheek pad. This is a 40mm objective bell and sits low, but with enough room for the Butler Creek cover.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

TraderVic
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by TraderVic » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:09 pm

ESquared - that's a nice looking setup. Which Leupold scope is that ?

My friend is planning to buy the LR 308 sometime after deer season this year. I'm wrestling between the LR and several bolt rifles, but I am changing from what I have right now.
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:26 pm

TraderVic wrote:ESquared - that's a nice looking setup. Which Leupold scope is that ?

My friend is planning to buy the LR 308 sometime after deer season this year. I'm wrestling between the LR and several bolt rifles, but I am changing from what I have right now.
Thanks, TV. It's a Leo VX Freedom 4-12X40. This particular rifle was very early production and I've got a post elsewhere about it taking a trip back to Henry for a bolt assembly replacement, new mag, etc., but it's been flawless and just super accurate ever since (see recent Range Report for 400 yd experience). Here's a target after I tuned it up, post repair trip...As well as a pic of the rear stock, which is what sold me on buying an early production LR in the first place.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x