Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Frustrated Owner

rls58
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Frustrated Owner

Post by rls58 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:49 pm

I bought a new Big Boy in 44 magnum last night at Bass Pro Shop, boxed it up this morning and returned to Henry for repair. Would have returned it but the store is 70 miles away and I bought the last one. When I opened the lever the bolt got stuck on the hammer. It seems the hammer is sitting slightly high or the bolt is sitting slightly low. It worked fine one time then hung up ever time thereafter. I realize manufacturing problems happen from time to time but this is frustrating. Hunting season starts in a week. I have other rifles but was looking forward to carrying this one on opening day.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Frustrated Owner

Post by JEBar » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:23 pm

first, welcome to our forum, delighted to have you join us .... your frustration is well understood .... have you already contacted Henry to make arrangements to send it back .. :?: .. if not, when you do, I'd recommend you make the urgency in getting yours fixed very clear .... they will take care of it .... our Henry 44 Mag BBS is one of our favorites .... please keep us informed on your rifles repair .... I'm looking forward to your future hunting, range, and use reports .... please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add yours to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 445#p73445
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:34 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Question - did it NOT hang up while you were looking it over in the store?
0 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:40 pm

welcome!
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

mlrifleNY
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by mlrifleNY » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:44 pm

Bass Pro might be able to get one from another store quicker than out and back from Henry. Just a thought

Jim
1 x
Henry BBB 44mag
Henry 1860
Henry 45/70 Brass

rls58
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by rls58 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:51 pm

Thanks everybody. The gun has been dropped off at UPS. Henry was very quick to send me a shipping label. Unfortunately the Bass Pro Shop that I went to had locks on all their guns so I couldn't try the action. Maybe that's standard practice for the company but it was a first for me. They said to take the lock off and throw it away once I got the gun home. I understand their safety concerns. I was taught in the Army to never assume anything but I assumed that it being a Henry I probably wouldn't have any issues. I did lots of research before I made the 70 mile trip to the store. I told Henry hunting season starts here in a week and I'd appreciate a quick turn around. Won't but another gun without being able to test the action first. Lesson learned.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:15 pm

Won't but another gun without being able to test the action first. Lesson learned.
Yea this is pure BS if a customer cannot perform a function check on a gun. If this in fact some sort of ‘policy’ then it should be changed as there is no rational for it.
Kind of like buying a car with no test drive.
1 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:25 pm

Please keep us posted, rls58; and welcome to the forum. This is a great place to share and learn about firearms of all kinds. There are some real experts here! Glad you joined us.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:43 pm

Sorry to hear of your experience, but glad to hear that Henry is responding appropriately (at least so far). Also very disconcerting to hear about BassPro's policy, which, as pointed out, is beyond ridiculous. Had you known that, you might as well have bought one online through GunBroker, saved yourself some money, time and effort - chances are probably pretty good that the GunBroker seller would have at least checked the rifle for basic functionality (I'd hope, anyway).
In any case, welcome to the Forum, hope you get all squared away in time for the hunt and that you'll come back and fill us in on how everything worked out, both with the rifle and with the deer!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:02 pm

I agree with the statement this is BS but society in general has forced these big box stores to take this approach. Exactly why I wont buy one from them. I think even a GB seller will know if a gun is defective before he posts it for sale before a big box store will. I hope you get it handled quickley and you are able to still use it.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55