Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry Big Boy Brass .45LC ejection issue

CurtZHP
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Henry Big Boy Brass .45LC ejection issue

Post by CurtZHP » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:34 am

Got a goofy thing going on with my BBB .45.

It does everything it's supposed to do right up until I go to eject the last round. The spent brass simply will not leave the gun without help. I usually have to turn the rifle on its right side with the bolt back and shake, sometimes jiggling the lever a little, to get the shell to drop out. On one or two occasions, I've actually had to resort to fishing around in there with my finger to get it loose. And it's not like it's lodged in there somehow. The shell rattles around freely in the chamber, but consistently wears out its welcome.

Always on the last round in the magazine. All others, whether I've loaded five or ten, eject just fine.

This is a recent development, so I initially chalked it up to dirt. But, even after a good cleaning, it still gags on that last shell.

Thoughts?
0 x
Aim small, miss small.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Henry Big Boy Brass .45LC ejection issue

Post by Mags » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:54 am

In ejecting the last round there is no next round coming up on the elevator. Prior to the last round, there is always a next round coming up that probably is helping push the spent round out. Think maybe a malfunction in the ejector spring that isn't noticed until the last round is ejected. That last round, instead of being ejected is maybe dropping into the cavity where the next round would normally be sitting on top of the elevator.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:30 pm

IF I remember right mine kinda does the same thing. My bad but I would be interested to see what Henry had to say about it. I just kinda let it go and never did email them or call them. Al
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

CurtZHP
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by CurtZHP » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:31 am

Mags wrote:In ejecting the last round there is no next round coming up on the elevator. Prior to the last round, there is always a next round coming up that probably is helping push the spent round out. Think maybe a malfunction in the ejector spring that isn't noticed until the last round is ejected. That last round, instead of being ejected is maybe dropping into the cavity where the next round would normally be sitting on top of the elevator.

Looking at where that ejector spring lives, I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's some schmutz down in there that a normal cleaning is just missing.
And I tend to use cowboy action ammo in this gun, which is dirty to begin with.
0 x
Aim small, miss small.

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:37 pm

wouldn't be at all surprised if there's some schmutz down in there that a normal cleaning is just missing.
Ditto this - the Henrys have a ‘soft eject’ by design and it wouldn’t take much to inhibit the ejection action given there is not a lot of spring tension to begin with.
0 x

CurtZHP
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by CurtZHP » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:50 am

When we last left our hero.....

Took her to the range yesterday. Still not spitting out that last shell without help, so I guess it's time for a takedown.
0 x
Aim small, miss small.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:10 am

I recently had to replace the ejector spring in our 44 Mag .... yesterday I took it out to test the new spring .... loaded her 10 times with 10 round .... all 10 times the last case failed to eject .... it was pulled out of the chamber and pivoted to where the front was sticking out the ejection port .... this is something new for our rifle .... there wasn't any grit in the track and as noted it has a new spring .... I've taken it apart, recleaned and thoroughly inspected it .... I can't see a thing wrong .... sometime next week I hope to take her out and retest .... I'm considering calling Henry to see if they have any recommendations
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:39 am

oh well, once I got to thinking about calling Henry, I did .... told the rep what was going on .... he said that with a new spring, there most likely has to be another issue .... he's emailing a return label .... I hope to get it shipped out on Monday
2 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:25 pm

I will be curious to see what they find out Jim as my 45 Colt carbine also does this with the last round ejection. I haven't called them yet but I will be doing that also. Al
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:30 pm

BigAl52 wrote:I will be curious to see what they find out Jim as my 45 Colt carbine also does this with the last round ejection. I haven't called them yet but I will be doing that also. Al
as noted it failed to eject the last case 10 straight times .... with my luck, when they get it in their shop and test it, the last case will fly out, travel all the way across the shop and break a storm window before hitting the ground ... :?
1 x