Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry Long Ranger .308 experience?

Sunday Creek
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Henry Long Ranger .308 experience?

Post by Sunday Creek » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:19 pm

Greetings. I'm a first-time poster. I've had a Long Ranger in .308 since January but haven't had time to do much shooting. I'm an experienced, though not an expert, reloader. I was wondering if anyone had developed a good load for this rifle or knows what bullet weights it seems to prefer, and I do understand that all barrels are individual, but sometimes they follow a fashion. My interest is for elk and black bear as I have a very special hunt coming up, but it is for 2019 so I have lots of time. (I'm not new to Henry rifles as I have a .22, 22Mag, and a .357.) Thanks.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Henry Long Ranger .308 experience?

Post by PT7 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:58 pm

3HRF.jpg
Welcome from the Show-Me-State, Sunday Creek.
Enjoy your Forum visits.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

~Пока~

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:10 pm

Greetings and welcome to the forum! You'll find this to be a great place. I'm a relative newcomer myself and have learned SO much in the past few months.

I'm also a fairly new 308 Long Ranger owner, but have put it through some paces, zeroed in a 4-12X42 Leupold VX Freedom, etc. Early on, I read a quote attributed to Anthony Imperato, the owner of Henry, where he allegedly said that Federal Fusion was what the LR 308 seemed to like best, based on what he was hearing. I've also learned that he doesn't remember ever saying that, so who knows? I also learned that "under 160 grain" was performing best (from another Henry insider).

Anyway, the Federal Fusion I've been tuning up with, at 150 grains. Here's a pic of a recent target, indoors, at 50 yds, and I just returned from an outdoor range trip where I was ringing steel targets at 400 yds with the same load. I'm looking at moving into reloading, so this will be my "model," so to speak, as it seems to be very compatible with the barrel length, twist rate, etc. My tutor on my outoor trip commented that the chamber fit was very good, based on the residue marks left on the lip of the case (very slight). He also figured that, even though I had this pretty much dialed in at 50 yds, based on the initial rise and drop rates, that this was pretty much zeroed in out to 200 yds.

I've tried other ammo, all 150 grain, but I just have more downrange with the Federal Fusion has by far seen the most action and the best, most consistent results.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:40 pm

Sunday Creek welcome to the forum please take a look at our how many thread and add your Henrys to our running total.
http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... &start=600

I would try some Barnes TTSX bullets in that 308 if it were mine. I have used there ammo in my hunting rifle and I do reload have for 40 plus years. Its some fine shooting ammo and I dont think I could load any that shoots better than theres for my rifle.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:56 pm

Welcome to the forum from the TV Oregon!
Sunday Creek wrote:Greetings. I'm a first-time poster. ....
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:05 am

Sunday Creek wrote:My interest is for elk and black bear as I have a very special hunt coming up
first of all, welcome to our forum, delighted to have you join us .... looking forward to your coming range and use reports .... many years ago I took both black bear and elk with a 308 Browning BLR .... within its range, it is a very effective caliber .... we hand loaded our ammo and found that for both bear and elk 180 gr deep penetrating Nosler Partitions worked well .... for deer we use 150 gr bullets ..... please be sure to follow the link Al provided and add all your Henry rifles to our community's total
0 x

Sunday Creek
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Sunday Creek » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:28 am

Thanks for the welcome guys. I had a BLR in .308 for many years. I took numerous deer and antelope with it as well as several elk and one Shiras moose. It blew up on me the fault of one company's bulk bullets when I was practicing for a sheep hunt. (I did take a ram with a BLR in 7-08.) I also had a fancy BLR in .300WSM and another in .358. I traded all the BLRs off for one reason or another. For a number of years I took all of my game, including elk and a wolf, with my Marlin 1895G. As I've gotten older, and due to numerous injuries as the result of being a rancher in Montana, I dropped down to the 6.5s (all single-shots) in recent years. But, then came the opportunity to hunt with the legendary Warren Johnson of Hell's A'Roarin' Outfitters and decided I need something in .30 cal again and had to choose between the BLR and the Henry. I was impressed with my other Henry rifles so I decided to go that way. When the rifle arrived it had a very rough action so after playing with it for about 30 rounds I sent it back to Henry and they improved the cycling and the trigger and added a different stock. I am particular in wanting to take game with reloads, I just feel more satisfaction about that, and I am a bit of a terminal ballistics wonk. I have three piles of newsprint soaking in a water tank as I write this. Being a one-man ranching operation as well as a professional writer, I don't have a lot of time to shoot. Fortunately, being a rancher, my range is located about 150 yards from my house so it is convenient. Testing bullets is a real weakness of mine and becomes very expensive. I am leaning Nosler at the moment because of the Partition, Accubond, and E-Tip. But have not ruled out the TTSXs. I also have bullets from a number of boutique bullet makers like Cutting Edge, DRT, Lehigh Defense, and Hammer. I would love to find and use something different, but the tried and true are established for a reason. By the way, the photos posted on this thread wouldn't open for me, so there is something I need to do on my end yet, plus I may be slow in learning to post photos. I have a lot of cattle work coming up this week but will try to report back with results as I can. Thanks again for the welcome.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:01 am

Sunday Creek wrote:I had a BLR in .308 for many years. I took numerous deer and antelope with it as well as several elk and one Shiras moose. It blew up on me the fault of one company's bulk bullets when I was practicing for a sheep hunt.
I bought our Belgium made BLR during their second year of production .... the thought of blowing it up is nothing less than shocking ....

Sunday Creek wrote:I was impressed with my other Henry rifles so I decided to go that way.
well understood .... if I was in the market today for a 308, I'd go with a Long Ranger for the same reason

Sunday Creek wrote:Testing bullets is a real weakness of mine and becomes very expensive. I am leaning Nosler at the moment because of the Partition, Accubond,
when it comes to hunting, since the mid 60's I only use Nosler bullets for big game hunting ..... not to say that I haven't experimented with other brands but in the end I always come back to Noslers .... my elk hunting with a 308 was before Nosler came out with its Accubond line ..... if I was going elk hunting today, I'd load Accubond bullets
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:29 am

Sunday Creek wrote:Greetings. I'm a first-time poster.
Welcome to the forum from CT. It will be fun to read your range reports and hunting experiences.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

TraderVic
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by TraderVic » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:10 pm

Sunday Creek wrote: As I've gotten older, and due to numerous injuries as the result of being a rancher in Montana, I dropped down to the 6.5s (all single-shots) in recent years.

Interesting. My wife and I loaded out the last of our cattle about a year and a half ago, just her and I - and the farm took it's toll on a few things, including my shoulders (I'm older too). Had a medium tear on my right rotator cuf (strong side) and needed surgery about six years ago and now considering a new deer rifle with less recoil. I'm looking at the 6.5's and/or maybe a 7mm-08. I like to shoot and also I reload, but have been shooting my 270 a lot less than I used to, so I'm thinking a short action rifle of one sort or another.

I don't have a lot of time to shoot.

Yep, I certainly understand this one.

I have a lot of cattle work coming up this week but will try to report back with results as I can. Thanks again for the welcome.

No doubt - as we're heading into winter. I load some Nosler and quite a bit of Hornady bullets. Looking forward to hearing about your new Henry 308 after you've done some shooting and hunting.
0 x