Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Long Ranger bolt clearance

Blue62
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Long Ranger bolt clearance

Post by Blue62 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:13 pm

Just got a 308 Long Ranger- have not fired it yet. The bolt has a lot of clearance when fully open- measured with a dial indicator the vertical movement of the rear of the bolt is .130. This movement decreases pretty quickly as the bolt is closed. I don’t think there is any problem with excess clearance when the bolt is closed. Would like to know how much play is normal when the bolt is open. Thanks everyone.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Long Ranger bolt clearance

Post by JEBar » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:39 pm

first, welcome to our forum, delighted to have you join us .... I'm highly interested in Henry's 308 Long Ranger, so I'm looking forward to your continued range and use reports .... the best way I know of to answer your clearance question is to call Henry's customer service .... I would recommend running a bunch of rounds through it before calling .... IF there is an issue, you will have info that would help diagnose it .... if it performs well, you probably have answered your own question .... please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add your Long Ranger to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 714#p72714
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:02 pm

Blue62 wrote:Just got a 308 Long Ranger- have not fired it yet. The bolt has a lot of clearance when fully open- measured with a dial indicator the vertical movement of the rear of the bolt is .130. This movement decreases pretty quickly as the bolt is closed. I don’t think there is any problem with excess clearance when the bolt is closed. Would like to know how much play is normal when the bolt is open. Thanks everyone.
Welcome to the forum! Fellow LR 308 owner from KC here. Glad you've joined and congrats on your new Henry! It is one sweet shooter!

When you say "clearance", do you mean that the rear end of the bolt sort of 'drops' a bit over a tenth of an inch?

Have to say, I never noticed this movement (if that's the right term), but the bolt is pretty darn long. Any 'drop' from just open to fully open would ber incidental, in my opinion. As long as it's not bumping into anything, I wouldn't worry about it.

FWIW, Federal Fusion 150 grain does very well in my LR. Here's a target after I got things sorted out...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Blue62
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Blue62 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:45 pm

The rear end of the bolt can be moved up and down a little over 1/8 inch when the bolt is all the way back. I agree that it will not have any effect on operation since the bolt tightens up farther forward in its travel. This is a long bolt and is not far into the receiver when the bolt is back. Just seems a bit sloppy compared to my other Henry stuff. I have talked to Henry and they are supposed to get back with me. My other point of reference is a Browning BLR which of course is a similar mechanism with a long bolt. It’s bolt moves up and down .035 measured the same way as the Henry. Thanks.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:52 pm

Blue62 wrote:Just got a 308 Long Ranger- have not fired it yet.
Welcome to the forum from CT. I'm sure you'll get a few responses, though it's such a new model there may not be too many. The good news is you bought a Henry. Satisfaction is guaranteed. For real.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:02 pm

Had to go pull mine out to see, and there's a bit of up-and-down play when the bolt is fully extracted, but I certainly don't have the equipment to measure that movement out to 1/1000th of an inch!
Will be interested to hear what Henry has to say.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:11 pm

3HRF.jpg
Welcome from the Show-Me-State!

Congrats on your new Henry .308. I'll echo what has been said many times on the Forum. If any issues with any Henry, without a doubt Henry will take care of it. Their CS is that good.

Looking forward to your range reports down-the-trail.
PT7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:07 pm

Welcome to the forum from the TV Oregon. Please visit this topic and share how you discovered this forum: http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5160
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:24 pm

The bolt has a lot of clearance when fully open- measured with a dial indicator the vertical movement of the rear of the bolt is .130.
This seems normal.
I suspect because of the length of the bolt in both the Henry and the BLR there is probably a bit of 'roll' designed into the action to prevent hanging up on a 'squared off' pivot point and the movement of the bolt is necessary to allow for the rolling motion - which is probably not really noticed when cycling.
0 x

Blue62
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Blue62 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:44 am

Henry’s reply was that this is normal.
0 x