Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

My First Henry...

shootest
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: My First Henry...

Post by shootest » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:17 pm

Here’s an app that will resize your photos, I use it all the time, it works great!
416D9ABF-21F3-4727-ACC1-62677874914F.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
Texas, not just a State but a state of mind.

Koyote
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Koyote » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:16 am

[quote="Squatch"]Congrats. I personally like the tube magazines. I have recently shot a Winchester 30-30. I find the side loading gate nothing but a finger pincher and don't understand the attraction personally. Unless of course you are reloading on horseback while being chased by bad guys.

I too had probs with loading the Winnie by the side loading gate, but earlier today, I looked at YouTube and saw how they did it. Load the first one into the loading gate about 3/4 of the way in, the with another round, push in the first one, followed by the 2nd one, also 3/4 of the way in, etc., etc., etc. No pinched fingers. Another guy just wore a pair of light shooting gloves and pushed them in. Another guy loaded sans gloves.
Don't worry about setting off a round by pushing it into the magazine tube as my gun smithy said, the primer would not go off!
FYI: My Winnie is a Sporting Rifle with a 26" barrel and the mag tube cannot hold 9+1. I guess that is what was meant by loading it on Sunday and shoot it all week! :)
0 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:34 am

2 of my levers have gates (Winchester 1894 and Marlin 1895). I have never really pinched my fingers, but I still prefer the tube feed on my Henrys. There is a very slight concern about loss of the feed rod in the back of my mind, but it’s not a huge concern. The ease of loading, and unloading quickly is more the point.
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:51 am

My main worry with the tube feed is during loading. I'm out in the field with the heavy scoped .30-30 brass/octagon barrel Henry gripped in one hand, loading the mag with the other hand with the mag tube sticking out, I worry about loosing my grip and dropping the heavy Henry and bending the mag tube. For that reason I'd prefer a side gate. I'd learn how not to get pinched. Otherwise the side gate is a nostalgic cowboy TV/movie hold over. I might make a sticky picture of a side gate and stick it on the side of my Henry for the nostalgia look. ;)
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234