Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

My First Henry...

Koyote
Cowhand
United States of America

My First Henry...

Post by Koyote » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:33 pm

Originally, I was looking for a Winchester '94. I looked up the Henry site as their firearms evolved into Winchester and were older. In early 2015 Henry, the company, asked patrons what they were looking for in a lever rifle. I told them I would like to see one in 30 WCF aka: .30-30, with an Octagon Barrel (yes, I know they are heavier, but they look different and way cool! I was not a big fan of brass receiver, so I would like one in steel/blued. Sometime during the summer of 2015 I discovered the process of color case hardened receivers. I got email back from the President who said I should look for something in the fall. When I got an email showing the new H009CC, I had to have one. I went down to one of my several LGS and they ordered me one. Within a week I had a beautiful one with the serial number of ...500! On the Saturday after Halloween I went to a pumpkin shoot to try it out. Worked beautiful! However, there were a couple of changes I wanted to make. First of all, I ordered a large loop lever. FYI: Chuck Connors in the Rifleman has an even larger loop lever, more rectangular shaped. Next, I did not like the semi-buckhorn rear sight and ordered a flat top. After receiving these two items and having them installed. I had pretty much what I wanted. Well, almost. The President of Henry will not change from the tubular magazine to the Winchester style, which is his prerogative, so eventually when I do find a Winchester, will get one. I am planning on getting a Henry in .22 Magnum, but there are no plans for color case hardened at this time, so not high on my priority list.
Well I tried posting three pictures, but each one of them was too large. I guess this site is going to have to work on that if they want any pics from me!
Good Shootin'!
1 x

Deadwood Dutch
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: My First Henry...

Post by Deadwood Dutch » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:38 pm

Congratulations on your rifle, I know it's a beauty!
0 x
U.S. Navy ⚓️ 1965-1969 - NRA Member - Henry H004, Henry H001

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:42 pm

Glad your first Henry turned out so good. Sir Henry will be around shortly I suppose. He has some very nice larger than usual loops. He has the one you are talking about from Chuck Conners. On the old forum we had a member who makes them. I hope he gets to this one.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:36 pm

RetiredSeabee wrote:Glad your first Henry turned out so good. Sir Henry will be around shortly I suppose. He has some very nice larger than usual loops. He has the one you are talking about from Chuck Conners. On the old forum we had a member who makes them. I hope he gets to this one.
I have several like what Chuck Connors used but also a couple like what John Wayne used in Rio Bravo.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:59 am

Congrats on your HENRY rifle!

Cate
0 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:22 pm

Congrats. I personally like the tube magazines. I have recently shot a Winchester 30-30. I find the side loading gate nothing but a finger pincher and don't understand the attraction personally. Unless of course you are reloading on horseback while being chased by bad guys.

The original Henry was a tube loader. Even though the New Henry is not the same company They are designed around the same traditions. I like that they are Henry's and not replica Winchesters. Plenty of folks make those. Rossi and Uberti come to mind.
2 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

Koyote
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Koyote » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:14 am

While home on leave from the Army (18 yrs and counting), my son and I took my/our Henry out to the range. He fired almost a box of ammo thru it and loved it. Unfortunately, a round FTE and while he got it out, he had to do a little field stripping to do so. When he tried to put it back together, he could not get a part to align so that a screw would go in properly. Took it home and he tried there, but still no luck, so finally had to take it down to a local gunsmith. He finally got 'er done.
As for the large loop lever made by Henry, it is absolutely perfect!! Can't say enuff about it. I finally did get a Winchester, a 1894 mfg. in 1908. I ordered a large loop lever (Rifleman style) which is rather large, but my gloved/ungloved hand does not fit in a regular size loop. Wish I could have gotten a Henry shaped one, but they are not made for Winchester, of course. Perhaps, I will have one made up down the road.
Anyways, both my son love the Henry and plan on getting a rimfire in the future.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:57 am

Another option would be to get Henry of your own :D
Koyote wrote:... Wish I could have gotten a Henry shaped one, but they are not made for Winchester, of course...
Anyways, both my son love the Henry and plan on getting a rimfire in the future.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:29 am

Welcome back Koyote! Where have you been for 3 years? I’d love a .30-30 like yours, but in a carbine length like my 1911 built Model 94 Winchester and my 2 Henrys, but the pay don’t seem to want to make one that short.
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:19 pm

Koyote, welcome back indeed .... delighted to hear from you again .... hopefully, you will be able to report in more often .... please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add your Henry to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 266#p87266
0 x