Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Trade the Long Ranger

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Trade the Long Ranger

Post by bandit1250 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:23 pm

I may trade the Long Ranger 223 off for a bolt action Varmint model Remington or Savage with the stainless bull barrel. One of the Remington's I really like does not have a stainless barrel. I am just not sure I will like a lever action varmint caliber rifle. I never did like straight grip rifles as well as pistol grip and can't really warm up to liking this one. The stock shape looks like a boat paddle. It is a nice made gun and I can find little to complain about on workmanship and I got a great buy on it. Two guys at the range were shooting one last week in 223 Rem. and having issues with some very stiff spots when working the action. Also had trouble with extracting the fired round with factory ammo. Also a two inch at a 100 yds. 22 center fire is not something I care to own. I believe theirs is going to be sent back to the factory soon. Mine is still NIB and will remain that way until I make a decision on what to do with it. I will not shoot it and then pass it on to some one if it has issues. I will trade it unfired and then they are on their own just like when I just got it. Right now I am leaning 22-250 Rem. in a bolt rifle with the heavy barrel and a wide forearm wood stock. I am slowly getting back to bolt action rifles except I will keep my Henry Frontier 22 and my Marlin 39A 22's to enjoy shooting. I will also keep my very accurate Marlin 444. Hope I didn't offend to many members by not liking this Henry. I guess that is why they make different brands and action types to choose from.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Trade the Long Ranger

Post by PT7 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:35 pm

Got to go with the important "like" factor, Bandit.
Otherwise, the Long Ranger would become the LONE Ranger, gathering dust in a corner of the gun cabinet.
Definitely not offended here!
PT7
3 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:33 pm

You can always count on me to understand how important it is to shoot the kind of gun you like, bandit, and, for people like us who place a premium on performance, I do understand a preference for bolt guns. The bolt gun is still the benchmark for rifle accuracy. Other types of guns can be very accurate, too, of course, but consistent and predictable accuracy still favors the bolt gun.
2 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:14 pm

The 223 LR is on Mags' wish list (last time I looked). Maybe you two can strike a deal! Sorry to hear it's not your cup of tea, but that's the beauty of this hobby - there are lots of choices and you might as well end up with what you really are comfortable with.
Best of luck in finding a new home for the LR and keep us posted on what you end up with and how you like it!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:22 pm

I've got a Ruger American All Weather, although not bull barrel, that I really like. The trigger is nice and light and I can eat up a bullseye at 100 yards with 40 rounds. You might want to add that to your list of models to look at.
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:12 pm

"You have to be one with your rifle Grasshopper. Only then can you achieve true harmony." ...I think that was in a Kung Fu episode, except the rifle part....:)
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:21 pm

The Long Ranger for me is one I would not buy either. I just dont care for the looks of them not to mention like the Single Shots there isnt one in a caliber that I really need right now. I like 308 but if I was to buy a 308 it would be like you Bandit in a bolt gun. Not offended at all here I think alot of guys on the forum here have other gun interest besides lever guns. We still luv you Bandit
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:28 pm

It is. I PM'd bandit this morning shortly after I saw his post.
ESquared wrote:The 223 LR is on Mags' wish list (last time I looked). Maybe you two can strike a deal! Sorry to hear it's not your cup of tea, but that's the beauty of this hobby - there are lots of choices and you might as well end up with what you really are comfortable with.
Best of luck in finding a new home for the LR and keep us posted on what you end up with and how you like it!
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:03 am

[quote="Mags"]It is. I PM'd bandit this morning shortly after I saw his post.

Good luck with making a deal! Hope you two can work something out.
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:39 am

Maybe. We'll see, haven't gotten a reply yet.
ESquared wrote:
Mags wrote:It is. I PM'd bandit this morning shortly after I saw his post.
Good luck with making a deal! Hope you two can work something out.
bandit1250 wrote:I may trade the Long Ranger 223 off ...
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234