Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Long Ranger Out of Rehab

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Long Ranger Out of Rehab

Post by ESquared » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:35 am

It's on its way back, should be here tomorrow. Patrick advises that this is in the repair notes:

"Replaced bolt assembly, spur gear, magazine, smoothed chamber, and adjusted lock up."

So, it apparently wasn't me, or the ammo. Will report back after receipt and a range trip.
4 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

ihatechicago
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Long Ranger Out of Rehab

Post by ihatechicago » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:52 pm

I just got mine back also. Almost identical wording on my paper work.
0 x
Long Ranger .243
Ruger American 22wmr
Ted Williams 22lr
Ithaca 22lr
Ruger LC9S
Ruger LCP2
Ruger SR 22
Savage 17hmr
NAA 22wmr

ihatechicago
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by ihatechicago » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:15 pm

Have you had a chance to shoot it yet? After getting mine back it cycles pretty good. The 4th round is a little difficult to eject. If I do the 4+1 trick the 5th round is extremely difficult to eject. This is with about a minute between shots. It's obviously a heat expansion issue that will never be a problem while hunting. But is a bit of a pain at the range.
0 x
Long Ranger .243
Ruger American 22wmr
Ted Williams 22lr
Ithaca 22lr
Ruger LC9S
Ruger LCP2
Ruger SR 22
Savage 17hmr
NAA 22wmr

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:11 pm

Haven't shot it yet, but will be at the range on Thursday. Hadn't thought of the heat expansion angle, but it makes sense. Man, does that barrel heat up! I haven't really timed myself between shots, but I'll try to slow it down and see how that goes. Thanks for the tip!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Pudsky
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Pudsky » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:18 pm

I just received my 308 long ranger back yesterday. Repair is very close to what you describe. On my 308 they replaced spur gear, bolt assembly, magazine, and buttstock. Buttstock was for some flaws on the wood. My rifle would jam when cycling rounds from the mag, and wouldn't eject empty shells very good. I am hoping to get it to the "range" sometime in the next few weeks to assess the repair. The manufacture time frame on my rifle was the end of 2016. I wonder if for newer batches of Long Ranger they have this problem figured out.

I must say, the customer service I received from Henry Repeating Arms was about the best I have ever received, ever. My next several rifles will defiantly be Henry's. A golden boy 22 is gonna find a new home in my closet real soon.

Edit 12/16/2018 5:54pm: I looked again at the manufacture date of my Long Ranger 308, and it was Nov. of 2016, not 2017. So that rifle sat around for 2 years before I bought it.
Last edited by Pudsky on Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:50 am

Pudsky wrote:I just received my 308 long ranger back yesterday. Repair is very close to what you describe. On my 308 they replaced spur gear, bolt assembly, magazine, and buttstock. Buttstock was for some flaws on the wood. My rifle would jam when cycling rounds from the mag, and wouldn't eject empty shells very good. I am hoping to get it to the "range" sometime in the next few weeks to assess the repair. The manufacture time frame on my rifle was the end of 2017. I wonder if for newer batches of Long Ranger they have this problem figured out.

I must say, the customer service I received from Henry Repeating Arms was about the best I have ever received, ever. My next several rifles will defiantly be Henry's. A golden boy 22 is gonna find a new home in my closet real soon.
Glad to hear you got your 308 sorted out, Pudsky. Mine was about the same vintage (Q4, 2017 mfg), so I'm guessing the issues were related to those earlier production runs.

If you're considering a 22LR, I'll offer my completely biased view and recommend taking a look at the Small Game Carbine. Fun gun, peep sights, large loop, slightly shorter barrel. Worth investigating...
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:23 am

You might want to get a hold of a Golden Boy if you are ordering one online before you order it. They are great rifles but for some the drop in the stock is different. For me I cannot get a good cheek weld when shouldering the gun to shoot it because I need to raise up the get the right sight picture.
3 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Pudsky
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Pudsky » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:54 pm

ESquared wrote:
Pudsky wrote:I just received my 308 long ranger back yesterday. Repair is very close to what you describe. On my 308 they replaced spur gear, bolt assembly, magazine, and buttstock. Buttstock was for some flaws on the wood. My rifle would jam when cycling rounds from the mag, and wouldn't eject empty shells very good. I am hoping to get it to the "range" sometime in the next few weeks to assess the repair. The manufacture time frame on my rifle was the end of 2017. I wonder if for newer batches of Long Ranger they have this problem figured out.

Glad to hear you got your 308 sorted out, Pudsky. Mine was about the same vintage (Q4, 2017 mfg), so I'm guessing the issues were related to those earlier production runs.

If you're considering a 22LR, I'll offer my completely biased view and recommend taking a look at the Small Game Carbine. Fun gun, peep sights, large loop, slightly shorter barrel. Worth investigating...
I will give the small game carbine a look. A peep sight is something I probably would add anyway. Nice that it comes with one. My 1991 Marlin 30AW 30-30 is going to be getting a peep sight sometime soon. Although it has shot nice with the standard open sights for the past 27 years. So who knows.
1 x

Pudsky
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Pudsky » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:56 pm

BigAl52 wrote:You might want to get a hold of a Golden Boy if you are ordering one online before you order it. They are great rifles but for some the drop in the stock is different. For me I cannot get a good cheek weld when shouldering the gun to shoot it because I need to raise up the get the right sight picture.
I will do that before I order one. I know of a few shops around that have several different Henry's in stock. Thanks!
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:35 pm

Pudsky,

I emphatically ditto ESquared's recommendation of the Henry SGC (maybe that's called ditto-squared?).

This coming February I'll have had my SGC for three years, and have enjoyed sending 2400+ rounds down range so far. I am more biased than ESquared, because I've been at it longer. ;)

I know this thread initially focused on the Long Ranger. But whenever the excellent .22LR SGC is mentioned, I cannot keep my mouth shut. :lol:

Enjoy your decision making on what your next Henry will be.
PT7

ESquared wrote:Glad to hear you got your 308 sorted out, Pudsky. Mine was about the same vintage (Q4, 2017 mfg), so I'm guessing the issues were related to those earlier production runs.

1 x

~Пока~