Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Brought the Long Ranger home

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Brought the Long Ranger home

Post by bandit1250 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:48 pm

I went to the shop and did the paper work on the new 223 Long Ranger this morning. He was as good as his word and I left with the new rifle for $530 OTD. I asked again if he really wanted to sell it and lose that much on it and he said " That is the price I gave you so it is yours now." So I brought it home and cleaned the barrel and gave it a good wipe down. My wife really likes it. I checked the trigger and it is 3lb. 10 oz. Wish it was lighter but at
least it breaks very clean. It may lighten up with break in. That is why I shoot bolt rifles more with their better triggers. The action is a little stiff but it will break in. It does have nice wood grain. The wood to metal fit is really close. I kind of wish it was a very small amount proud of the metal just in case I ever refinish the wood I would have a little wood to work with. This would have to be a chemical strip and no sanding. The bluing on the barrel is not up to Henry standards in my eyes.
One thing nice is my full sizing die is right on for the headspace on this Henry where it is set now for my bolt rifles. Helps to not have a separate set of dies for the different 223 rifles. I didn't check the length of the throat yet but I will soon. I imagine the throat will be long because of being able to shoot 5.56 ammo. I don't shoot that stuff any way so 223 Rem and a 1 in 12 twist would have been fine. I will use a one piece Weaver base and it may be the same base as the 336 Marlin which I already have a few. Thinking about putting a Leupold 4-12X40 on it to find what loads it likes then pull it back off and put my 3-9X33 Leupold compact on just to have a better looking set up and not ruin the lines of the rifle. Big scopes on lever rifles turn me off. I will see how I like it and if I don't I will trade it on a Remington 700 VLS in 22-250. :shock: :)
3 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Re: Brought the Long Ranger home

Post by Vaquero » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:43 pm

I've not seen or even handled any of the LR's. But
then again this past year I haven't seen the inside of to many shops.
I know, I know, and the few times I have I just get more or less what I needed and left.

I'd like to hear how she shoots and what you think about.
Congrats to ya.

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:53 pm

congrats again .... really looking forward to your coming pictures, range reports and comments
2 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:03 pm

Congrats Bandit. I think sounds like you are a little skeptical maybe. Picture to we need pictures. At my house anyway if the wife likes it and I dont check with her before it leaves there could be trouble in paradise.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:35 pm

225049d1414547805t-new-me-308mx-worthlesswithoutpics.jpeg

RP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:25 am

JEBar wrote:congrats again .... really looking forward to your coming pictures, range reports and comments
What he said!
1 x
Pax at Justitia

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:36 am

bandit1250 wrote:I went to the shop and did the paper work on the new 223 Long Ranger this morning. He was as good as his word and I left with the new rifle for $530 OTD.
Hey, Bandit. Congratulations on your new Long Ranger. Like so many others, I wish you'd take another stab at adding photos to your posts. I'd be happy to help you out with that. Let me know.

By the way, have you added your Henrys to the "How Many?" thread?
http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 393#p71393
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:54 am

Congrats. Here's a pic of my LR 308 with the 4-12X40 Leupold. It's very subjective, but, to my eye, the proportion of the scope/barrel/overall length is just fine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:42 am

A couple thoughts, here.

On the scopes, I think ESquared has a good point. One of the reasons I've always liked Leupold scopes is that they keep the dimensions for a given size of scope on the more compact size. A lot of scopes, these days, go with oversized eyepiece bells and big tall turrets. Those features have their place and are certainly legit, but, to my eye, they make a scope look a bit too tactical in looks for a lever gun. It's why most of my single shots that wear scopes wear Leupolds. Here's a 4-12x AO on our Low Wall 22 mag.

That trigger pull is actually pretty useable for a hunting gun and still pretty doable for range work. My beloved 1885 single shots all have identical triggers right at 3.5 pounds of pull and I do very well with them, now that I've had experience with them. I'd recommend just getting out and shooting your new LR for awhile before messing with the trigger. A good shooter such as yourself won't have any problems with that trigger.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:53 am

drooling,,,,
ESquared wrote:Congrats. Here's a pic of my LR 308 with the 4-12X40 Leupold. It's very subjective, but, to my eye, the proportion of the scope/barrel/overall length is just fine.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234