Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Brass vs steel

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Brass vs steel

Post by Mags » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:34 pm

Having one of each solves the dilemma of having to choose one or the other. Have both!
Vaquero wrote:.... Guess I weren't much help as I have one of each. :lol:
RP
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:41 pm

At the LGS I was smitten by the brass. If there were any steel there, they would have been hiding in plain sight. I wouldn't have even noticed them.
Mistered wrote:I Bought my BBB .357 partly because it was brass AND steel was about a year away. My point being if I really wanted the steel I would have waited but I really like the brass. Weight is not an issue as I carry mine in the field regularly. Also if the brass starts to tarnish or I get a minor scuff or scratch I can polish it out easily - and it is in need of a polish session. Another point is it was THERE, in the store when I discovered it and it probably wouldn’t have lasted long.
I will admit when the steel did come out and I finally held one I really liked the way it felt, the balance and the slightly less weight and if I had to choose at the time I really don’t know which way I would have gone. I am glad i didn’t have to choose - heck I probably still wouldn’t own one.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:43 pm

Mags wrote:.
Having one of each solves the dilemma of having to choose one or the other. Have both!
RP

I want a, wait......................................................................fer...........................................................................................................................................................................................it................................................................................................................................
a 1860 :D yeah, but
do I want case color steel model, or Brass? :?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:05 am

Well guess what I'd suggest? In line with the have it all theme, GET ONE OF EACH! :lol:
Vaquero wrote:
RP

I want a, wait......................................................................fer...........................................................................................................................................................................................it................................................................................................................................

RP
1 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:13 am

Well guess what I'd suggest? In line with the have it all theme, GET ONE OF EACH! :lol:
Vaquero wrote:

RP
Gonna be tough to swing the first one, let alone the second.
Maybe a long term loan. :lol: maybe :lol:

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:46 am

Mags wrote:At the LGS I was smitten by the brass. If there were any steel there, they would have been hiding in plain sight. I wouldn't have even noticed them
The brass guns are beautiful in person. Pictures don't do them justice.
3 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:17 pm

I've never hunted with a brass receiver. I'd be inclined to put camouflage tape it to avoid light reflection. That's just my OCD.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:07 pm

Shakey Jake wrote:I've never hunted with a brass receiver. I'd be inclined to put camouflage tape it to avoid light reflection. That's just my OCD.
That is a point.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:18 am

Is the Big Boy Classic linie a matter of the business end of things dictating that HRA builds rifles within some sort of pricing/margin parameters, and that these don't have checkered stocks, don't have swivel studs and don't have butt-pads, OR is it a "heritage/history" thing that these rifles are built this way?
I think the brass is a very nice look, but I also like checkered stocks, swivel studs and padded butts (so to speak), which, I guess, is what keeps leading me back to the CCH line. It has all of the above, plus an octagonal barrel. It's not brass, but it's not just a black steel rifle, either.
Sure would like to see one in person. More research.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:09 am

I'm nostalgic, so I'd like to think (true or not) that it is a "heritage/history" thing. Personally I don't care that much for checkering. It has it's practical use to help with grip, especially on the forearm, but appearance-wise it does nothing for me. Similarly with butt pads. As painful as the consequences might be they just don't look right with the rest of the Henry. Might as well also have a stock/forearm that is synthetic too. Swivel studs that come on the Henry from the factory are fine. But I won't drill a stock to add one.

You might email patrick and see if he can give you the name of a LGS that has a CCH. Then you could go visit and give us a report on your real life observations.
ESquared wrote:Is the Big Boy Classic linie a matter of the business end of things dictating that HRA builds rifles within some sort of pricing/margin parameters, and that these don't have checkered stocks, don't have swivel studs and don't have butt-pads, OR is it a "heritage/history" thing that these rifles are built this way?
I think the brass is a very nice look, but I also like checkered stocks, swivel studs and padded butts (so to speak), which, I guess, is what keeps leading me back to the CCH line. It has all of the above, plus an octagonal barrel. It's not brass, but it's not just a black steel rifle, either.
Sure would like to see one in person. More research.
1 x