Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Brass vs steel

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Brass vs steel

Post by Mags » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:54 pm

Thanks. Yup the brass Henrys are HEAVY compared to their steel counter parts. When I first got it that gorgeous shiny brass blinded me and I didn't care. My first nutria hunt was about an hour. By the end I was starting to care. Hence the sling. With the sling the weight hasn't bothered me since.
TNman wrote:Beautiful rifle mags...brass vs steel? ...I purchased my first Henry, a steel .357 carbine, after seeing and shooting a friend’s brass/octagon .357. His rifle was/is awesome but HEAVY imo. I went with steel for that reason and the trimmer receiver is a plus too.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:01 pm

I like them both Color Case and Brass. But if I wanted a brass 30-30 and was going to use it to hunt with Id say by all means go get it. Especially if thats the one you want I know it will do every thing you want it to. Welcome from Colorado.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:15 am

I imagine I will own a Brass Henry some day, just haven't figured out which one.

I'm with you, Al, I like the Color Case, and the 30-30 seems like a good caliber for it (in my mind, anyway).
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:29 am

I'm ecstatic about shiny brass rifles! So I like to sway others toward it. If you want solid brass buy a Henry centerfire. The rimfire I understand are made of brass plated zamak.

Receivers on some Henrys are painted and others blued steel.

CC I'd have to see in person. I haven't seen a picture on the computer screen that does it justice.
ESquared wrote:I imagine I will own a Brass Henry some day, just haven't figured out which one.

I'm with you, Al, I like the Color Case, and the 30-30 seems like a good caliber for it (in my mind, anyway).
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:12 pm

I too, went with the steel in .357 magnum. I just didn't like the extra weight, and the balance of the brass. Going to a carbine length would probably take care of that, if you really want the brass.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:48 pm

OP, I recently bought a BB Brass .357/.38 with the 20" octagonal barrel. It is heavy, but, it will probably will never go a field to hunt. Strictly a plinker, if you will. And a fun one. I thought about a .45 Colt in a Henry but, thinking instead of another .357/38 BB Steel. These rifle's do not recoil enough to matter. A lighter rifle would be easier for my wife to shoot if she chooses. Do like my brass one tho. Fun gun.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:18 pm

Mags wrote:I'm ecstatic about shiny brass rifles! So I like to sway others toward it. If you want solid brass buy a Henry centerfire. The rimfire I understand are made of brass plated zamak.

Receivers on some Henrys are painted and others blued steel.

CC I'd have to see in person. I haven't seen a picture on the computer screen that does it justice.
ESquared wrote:I imagine I will own a Brass Henry some day, just haven't figured out which one.

Bummer, you just burst my bubble. I was scoping out a Golden Boy in 17 HMR. Didn't realize the receiver wasn't 100% brass. Will have to peruse the centerfires more carefully (again!).

I agree on the CCH. Probably the best picture of the way the finish actually looks are on HRA's website (big surprise!). Really wish I could find one around here to look at in person. The big box guys don't seem to want to stock them and they might be too pricey for the smaller shops.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

bobtodrick
Tenderfoot
Canada

Post by bobtodrick » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:54 pm

Went with the brass because it is so pretty.
Had it out (the 30-30) a half dozen times hunting, some in inclement weather.
Looks as good as the day I brought it home.
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:32 pm

I Bought my BBB .357 partly because it was brass AND steel was about a year away. My point being if I really wanted the steel I would have waited but I really like the brass. Weight is not an issue as I carry mine in the field regularly. Also if the brass starts to tarnish or I get a minor scuff or scratch I can polish it out easily - and it is in need of a polish session. Another point is it was THERE, in the store when I discovered it and it probably wouldn’t have lasted long.
I will admit when the steel did come out and I finally held one I really liked the way it felt, the balance and the slightly less weight and if I had to choose at the time I really don’t know which way I would have gone. I am glad i didn’t have to choose - heck I probably still wouldn’t own one.
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:33 pm

My first centerfire Henry was/is :lol: a used 44 mag.,
the brass was already a little faded.
I wasn't really concerned a lot about it as I bought it to hunt. :)
And I kinda like it, gives it that look.
Then the second, well I went with the steel version in 41 Mag.
I have it scoped at the moment, looks like the one Mags has on his 30-30.

Guess I weren't much help as I have one of each. :lol:

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012