Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

50 yd sight in & dirty ammo

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: 50 yd sight in & dirty ammo

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:22 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:
GunnyGene wrote: I wish y'all would accept what I said about the GA ammo and quit trying to lay the blame elsewhere. I've been shooting for 60+ plus years including 20+ in the USMC, and I do know a bit about it.
These folks are not trying to challenge your experience or knowledge. They simply want to help.
I know that, which is why I tried to be courteous and gentle with that comment. :)
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:26 pm

GunnyGene

thanks for mentioning Georgia Arms Ammo .... I'd never heard of them so I did a bit of research .... from what I could tell, they seem to be a well known outfit .... in recent times I've noted that the powder being used in Winchester Super Target 2.75" 12-Gauge Shotshells we use for trap shooting seems to leave our shotguns really dirty .... in trying to figure out why, I considered the fact that for the last couple of years we have used Ballistol to clean and lub our firearms .... it does a great job and I have no interest in using anything else .... that said I can't help but wonder if some cleaning liquids trap more residue than others .... do you have any thoughts in this area :?:
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:43 pm

JEBar wrote:GunnyGene

thanks for mentioning Georgia Arms Ammo .... I'd never heard of them so I did a bit of research .... from what I could tell, they seem to be a well known outfit .... in recent times I've noted that the powder being used in Winchester Super Target 2.75" 12-Gauge Shotshells we use for trap shooting seems to leave our shotguns really dirty .... in trying to figure out why, I considered the fact that for the last couple of years we have used Ballistol to clean and lub our firearms .... it does a great job and I have no interest in using anything else .... that said I can't help but wonder if some cleaning liquids trap more residue than others .... do you have any thoughts in this area :?:
Never used Ballistol, so can't comment on that, and don't do much shotgunning. That said, I've used Hoppes solvent for decades and it works as well as anything else unless you have excessive lead or copper fouling, in which case a quality solvent specific to that problem should be used with a non-metallic brush. I use Blue Wonder, but only when the fouling is severe enough to affect accuracy and I don't overdo it. Bore cleaning should be tied to accuracy degradation - see this: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... vDCIcEPxUn . Although Rex is specific to ELR rifles, the general principle applies across the board. Scroll down on the playlist to around Parts 37 - 41 or so. In particular part 41. If all you need to do is wipe the powder residue out then a dry patch is all that's needed. Too aggressive cleaning is just as bad as not enough.

I know the above is more geared towards rifled barrels, than smooth bores, but maybe it will help some. :)

As for lube, it depends on the firearm and the conditions in which you use it. Many greases (for slides, bolts, and such) don't work well in weather extremes. They either get stiff and gummy in very low temps, or runny and make a mess in hot weather. Oils are much the same, but like grease attract carbon, etc. Not a big deal for the range, since you should be cleaning after a range trip, but for long hunts (or combat) when you don't have the luxury of regular cleaning, I prefer a dry lube. My preference for dry lubes is Hornady One Shot.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:09 pm

while using different products, we are operating on pretty much the same theory .... from reading your opening post, what I was wondering if you have recently changed any of your cleaning/lubing products ... if so, I can see how that might be a factor in the unexpected buildup .... that doesn't seem to be the case so I have no clue why there has been such a big change in residue
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:58 pm

JEBar wrote: that doesn't seem to be the case so I have no clue why there has been such a big change in residue
Neither do I. Nothing changed between the shots with the Underwood and those with the SWC. Absolutely nothing - both were shot in the same session at the same range and the same POA. The only difference was the ammo itself. Which is why I was so surprised. I did expect some minor difference in POI, but nothing like I experienced. Oh, well. In the big picture it was a one-time minor irritation and won't be repeated. Life goes on. :D
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:09 pm

just curious, I can understand the point of impact changing from one brand to another .... how well did they group .. :?:
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:05 pm

and when I chronoed it in mine it was consistently within 10fps of their stated mv (actually a bit faster)
Ok - you didn’t mention in your first post you chronoed them but if you did and that’s what the MV is then all the better!
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:33 pm

JEBar wrote:just curious, I can understand the point of impact changing from one brand to another .... how well did they group .. :?:
The Underwood was a lot tighter - about 2 1/2". SWC looked like a 00 buck pattern. The only thing it had going for it was a soft recoil. :roll:
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:40 pm

Mistered wrote:
and when I chronoed it in mine it was consistently within 10fps of their stated mv (actually a bit faster)
Ok - you didn’t mention in your first post you chronoed them but if you did and that’s what the MV is then all the better!
Sorry 'bout that. I tend to assume (yeah I know) that folks who experiment with unfamiliar ammo, or reload, do that as a matter of course. I don't reload, but I have a couple friends who are constantly working up different loads and have chrono's they let me borrow occasionally. :)
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:58 pm

Sorry 'bout that. I tend to assume (yeah I know) that folks who experiment with unfamiliar ammo, or reload, do that as a matter of course.
You would be surprised at the number of reloaders who do NOT have a chrono - me for one.
I have really never felt the need for one as I load for accuracy & what I plan to use the round for and really, velocity is really not an issue. Lets say I am loading a .223 round for varmint and the manual for the load says (for example) 3200 FPS then so be it. The important thing is accuracy - not how fast the bullet is going.
0 x