Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Long Ranger scope mount

ihatechicago
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Long Ranger scope mount

Post by ihatechicago » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:39 pm

I'm completely new to the world of Henry's. I have ordered a Long Ranger in .243 and am trying to get my ducks in a row so I can mount my existing scope when it arrives. I'm confused with all the research I've done so far on the supplied mounts. One place says they're Skinner mounts and others say it's Weaver/Picatinny. I need to buy new rings and am trying to figure out what to get. Also, my scope is a 40mm. Will I need medium height rings? And one more question. I was advised to get rid of the 2 piece mounts and go with a one piece. True or false? Can anyone steer me in the right direction? I'm very excited to get this thing on the range and then in the field!!!! Thanks in advance.
0 x
Long Ranger .243
Ruger American 22wmr
Ted Williams 22lr
Ithaca 22lr
Ruger LC9S
Ruger LCP2
Ruger SR 22
Savage 17hmr
NAA 22wmr

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Long Ranger scope mount

Post by Mags » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:37 pm

Medium ring height is different between suppliers. Find rings from a supplier that gives specific height measurement.
Ring height is measured from the ring center to the top of the base notch. Ring center is also your scope center.
Ring Height.JPG
So you'll have to do some math to determine your minimum scope ring height.
Minimum Ring Height = 1/2 the diameter of the bell of your scope objective lens -minus- the height of the Skinner mount.
Since the rifle receiver tapers down some to the top of the barrel the scope objective lens won't be touching the barrel, but you might want to add more height for more buffer space.

Also need to consider scope eye piece clearance to the top of the hammer travel.

Looks like Weaver/Picatinny rings would fit the mounts offered by Skinner.
http://www.skinnersights.com/scope_mounts_31.html
500SBE.jpg
ihatechicago wrote:I'm completely new to the world of Henry's. I have ordered a Long Ranger in .243 and am trying to get my ducks in a row so I can mount my existing scope when it arrives. I'm confused with all the research I've done so far on the supplied mounts. One place says they're Skinner mounts and others say it's Weaver/Picatinny. I need to buy new rings and am trying to figure out what to get. Also, my scope is a 40mm. Will I need medium height rings? And one more question. I was advised to get rid of the 2 piece mounts and go with a one piece. True or false? Can anyone steer me in the right direction? I'm very excited to get this thing on the range and then in the field!!!! Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:07 am

This won't be apples-to-apples by any means, but I used the Skinner bases that came with my Long Ranger 308, and went with Warne PA rings, like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Warne-Scope-Moun ... th=1&psc=1

All that said, this set-up was for a Leupold scope with a 1" tube and 40mm objective bell. By the time i added some Butler Creek flip-ups, the clearance/fit was perfect.

FWIW, Sean at Warne customer service is also a Long Ranger owner, a gunsmith and very helpful. info@warnescopemounts.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:09 am

That is perfection e^2, but one thing is curious to me. On all the Long Rangers I see, the scopes (90%) are slid right up to the front ring, somewhat limiting the adjustability.
Henry-Long-Ranger-review-TRACT-TORIC-6.jpg
There must be a reason Henry located the front ring mount so far back relative to the reciever but I wonder what it is?

I am sure if it's a problem there are offset mounts available.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:51 am

Henry offers one.
https://henrypride.com/products/henry-l ... 3736093721

Might find a generic one less expensive with multiple holes sets in it that line up with the holes of the Long Ranger.
Just and example of multiple holes, I do not know if it fits.
https://www.amazon.com/NcStar-Marlin-Ac ... cope+mount
Henry88 wrote:... On all the Long Rangers I see, the scopes (90%) are slid right up to the front ring, somewhat limiting the adjustability ...I am sure if it's a problem there are offset mounts available.
Last edited by Mags on Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:58 am

That might be something for the OP to consider..................
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:13 pm

I remember reading in some of the online reviews that the placement of those mounting holes and the Skinner mounts could present some issues with certain scopes, depending on the tube lengths on either side of turrets. It worked out fine for the Leupold, but, you're right, it's not moving forward from where it is.
Different mounts, as Mags has pointed out, would be the only solution, depending on the scope tube configuration, that's for sure.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

ihatechicago
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by ihatechicago » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:39 pm

Let me ask a really stupid question. Are the tapped holes on the receiver an industry standard? Can I buy any one piece mount and expect it to bolt on my rifle?
0 x
Long Ranger .243
Ruger American 22wmr
Ted Williams 22lr
Ithaca 22lr
Ruger LC9S
Ruger LCP2
Ruger SR 22
Savage 17hmr
NAA 22wmr

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:49 pm

ihatechicago wrote:Let me ask a really stupid question. Are the tapped holes on the receiver an industry standard? Can I buy any one piece mount and expect it to bolt on my rifle?
I can't answer for sure, but I don't think there's anything "standard" about the hole spacing. The guy who can and will tell you some of these specifics is Patrick Hall at Henry. When I was trying to figure out scope rings, I needed to know the thickness of the Skinner mounts, and he took a caliper to one and sent me a picture of the measurement. He's absolutely awesome.

AND, he's very patient, as he's put up with dozens of questions from me on various topics. patrick@henryusa.com
0 x

ihatechicago
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by ihatechicago » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:58 pm

Thanks. I'll give em a call in the morning. I didn't think they would be standard. That would make it too easy!! Lol.
1 x
Long Ranger .243
Ruger American 22wmr
Ted Williams 22lr
Ithaca 22lr
Ruger LC9S
Ruger LCP2
Ruger SR 22
Savage 17hmr
NAA 22wmr