Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Is this normal? Bigboy carbine

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: Is this normal? Bigboy carbine

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:22 am

ESquared wrote:Patrick Hall at Henry Customer Service is your friend, if all else fails. patrick@henryusa.com
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. :)
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:23 am

Got this figured out. Basically it's me and simple physics. My bench is too low, which resulted in me being hunched over to far, thus the felt recoil was nearly double what it is in a normal shooting position since my torso was not absorbing it as it would standing or sitting. That means the recoil was focused more sharply not only on my shoulder, but also in the gun itself just enough to cause the lever to overcome the lever plunger and cause it to drop. Gripping the lever tighter against the stock prevents it from doing that, but that refocused recoil remained. So to remedy this, I raised the bench up higher to establish a more natural position and allow my torso to absorb the shock. Success! But I feel like an idiot for not recognizing this issue for what it really was. :oops:
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:42 pm

Do I read what you say correctly that after establishing "a more natural position and allow my torso to absorb the shock." you can hold the lever against the stock normally and not "gripped tighter"?
GunnyGene wrote:Got this figured out. Basically it's me and simple physics. My bench is too low, which resulted in me being hunched over to far, thus the felt recoil was nearly double what it is in a normal shooting position since my torso was not absorbing it as it would standing or sitting. That means the recoil was focused more sharply not only on my shoulder, but also in the gun itself just enough to cause the lever to overcome the lever plunger and cause it to drop. Gripping the lever tighter against the stock prevents it from doing that, but that refocused recoil remained. So to remedy this, I raised the bench up higher to establish a more natural position and allow my torso to absorb the shock. Success! But I feel like an idiot for not recognizing this issue for what it really was. :oops:
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:51 pm

Mags wrote:Do I read what you say correctly that after establishing "a more natural position and allow my torso to absorb the shock." you can hold the lever against the stock normally and not "gripped tighter"?
GunnyGene wrote:Got this figured out. Basically it's me and simple physics. My bench is too low, which resulted in me being hunched over to far, thus the felt recoil was nearly double what it is in a normal shooting position since my torso was not absorbing it as it would standing or sitting. That means the recoil was focused more sharply not only on my shoulder, but also in the gun itself just enough to cause the lever to overcome the lever plunger and cause it to drop. Gripping the lever tighter against the stock prevents it from doing that, but that refocused recoil remained. So to remedy this, I raised the bench up higher to establish a more natural position and allow my torso to absorb the shock. Success! But I feel like an idiot for not recognizing this issue for what it really was. :oops:
Correct. :)
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:10 pm

Congrats on solving that mystery! Very interesting scenario that I'll have to keep in mind for the future. Thanks for sharing the outcome.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:20 pm

Nice!
GunnyGene wrote:Correct. :)
Mags wrote:Do I read what you say correctly that after establishing "a more natural position and allow my torso to absorb the shock." you can hold the lever against the stock normally and not "gripped tighter"?
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:35 pm

ESquared wrote:Congrats on solving that mystery! Very interesting scenario that I'll have to keep in mind for the future. Thanks for sharing the outcome.
The reason I didn't realize what was going on is that I rarely use a bench for sighting in a rifle. In fact, this might be the first time for a high powered rifle. Always used the std. military prone, sitting, kneeling, and standing positions, so didn't really understand how much a bench - especially one that is too low - would effect things. But I'm not as flexible as I used to be, hence the bench. ;) That recoil(kinetic) energy has to go someplace, and like crumple zones in cars it will dissipate in those crumple zones to insulate the passengers from the impact. In a sense your torso acts as a crumple zone, so if you take that path away, it will go someplace else. :)
Last edited by GunnyGene on Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:38 pm

GunnyGene wrote:... In a sense your torso acts as a crumple zone, so if you take that path away, it will go someplace else. :)
So your lever got whip lash...
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:44 pm

Mags wrote:
GunnyGene wrote:... In a sense your torso acts as a crumple zone, so if you take that path away, it will go someplace else. :)
So your lever got whip lash...
That's one way to put it, I reckon. :lol:
1 x