Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Is this normal? Bigboy carbine

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Is this normal? Bigboy carbine

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:52 pm

Rifle is the new .41mag BigBoy Steel Carbine I bought last week. Took it out for some exercise today shooting from a bench rest. Ammo is std. vel.JHP.

Question: is it normal for recoil to cause the lever to be pushed down slightly by the sear/transfer bar, or am I just not hanging on tight enough? This happened several times. It doesn't unlock the bolt or seem to cause any problems, but I felt I should ask about it.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

TNman
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Is this normal? Bigboy carbine

Post by TNman » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:38 pm

I haven’t noticed that on either my .357 or .41.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:46 pm

Doesn't sound just right. Does the force of it actually pull the lever down, out of your grip?
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:03 pm

I have a 30-30, and it does not do that.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:42 pm

ESquared wrote:Doesn't sound just right. Does the force of it actually pull the lever down, out of your grip?
It's stout, but controllable. I can tell it wants to drop 1/2" or so away from the trigger group at that little button thing right behind the trigger, like something inside is pushing down on it. It doesn't do it when dry firing, just live fire. I tried to make it happen by pushing on the bolt face with a dowel down the barrel, but that didn't do it. And there's no sign of any gas leakage past the bolt. It's a mystery. :?

This is my first Henry, but not my first lever gun, and I've never experienced this before. Only have 15 rounds thru it as of today, and have not even cleaned it other than to run a patch down the bore last week.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:33 pm

It doesn't do it when dry firing, just live fire.
So does this happen simultaneously upon the round discharging?
If you hold a tight grip on the lever upon firing can you 'feel' pressure on the lever 'fighting' your grip to try to open? And if so is it just momentary at the time of discharge?
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:45 pm

The only thing that I know of that can cause the lever to drop is spring tension behind the rounds in the tube magazine. Maybe under recoil the next round from the mag tube is being partially pushed into the receiver. As a test try firing single shots with an unloaded mag tube. For further tests incrementally increase the number of rounds in the mag tube to see if there is a point with a certain number of rounds in the mag tube that causes the lever to drop under recoil. Anyway, I suspect you might have a really stiff mag tube spring.
GunnyGene wrote:Rifle is the new .41mag BigBoy Steel Carbine I bought last week. Took it out for some exercise today shooting from a bench rest. Ammo is std. vel.JHP.

Question: is it normal for recoil to cause the lever to be pushed down slightly by the sear/transfer bar, or am I just not hanging on tight enough? This happened several times. It doesn't unlock the bolt or seem to cause any problems, but I felt I should ask about it.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:59 am

Mistered wrote:
It doesn't do it when dry firing, just live fire.
So does this happen simultaneously upon the round discharging?
If you hold a tight grip on the lever upon firing can you 'feel' pressure on the lever 'fighting' your grip to try to open? And if so is it just momentary at the time of discharge?
Yes to all three questions.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:03 am

Mags wrote:The only thing that I know of that can cause the lever to drop is spring tension behind the rounds in the tube magazine. Maybe under recoil the next round from the mag tube is being partially pushed into the receiver. As a test try firing single shots with an unloaded mag tube. For further tests incrementally increase the number of rounds in the mag tube to see if there is a point with a certain number of rounds in the mag tube that causes the lever to drop under recoil. Anyway, I suspect you might have a really stiff mag tube spring.
GunnyGene wrote:Rifle is the new .41mag BigBoy Steel Carbine I bought last week. Took it out for some exercise today shooting from a bench rest. Ammo is std. vel.JHP.

I'll try that today if I have time and it don't rain. I also have some cowboy loads from Georgia Arms (210gr, SWC) that I might shoot also to see if that makes a difference.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:12 am

Patrick Hall at Henry Customer Service is your friend, if all else fails. patrick@henryusa.com
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357