Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Long Ranger .308!

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Long Ranger .308!

Post by ESquared » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:00 pm

This may not come as a huge surprise, but I took delivery of my Long Ranger .308 a couple of days ago and got it sighted in at 50 yds yesterday. Did a deal at my local range/shop, as they had one hanging on the wall (early production) that had absolutely beautiful furniture. I had a Winchester semi-auto 12 ga. that I'd shot maybe 10 times and hadn't touched in nearly a dozen years, so I worked a trade that brought my cost of the Henry to about half of retail.
Not an offer I COULDN'T refuse, but it sure was an offer I didn't want to refuse.
Had enough lead time to get a sling and scope; got a Leupold VX Freedom 4-12X40 and a set of Warne med rings. Zeroed it in with Federal Fusion 150 gr., based on feedback I got from Patrick at HRA.
My initial range report, from yesterday's scope-zeroing session, is that it's got an action that's smoother than either of my other Henrys, but that bolt is LOOooong.
Recoil isn't bad at all, but my frame of reference is that 12 ga I referenced above, which I painfully remember shooting with 3-1/2" magnum loads. Have no idea what the .308 feels like compared to the Henry .44 mags or 45/70s out there, but I'd think it's easier to take.
The high rise on the stock makes it set up for a scope, so the point and shoot aspect of it natural.
Just need more time with it, some outdoor, longer yardage range shooting and different stances/positions.
Anyway, here are some pics!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
8 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Long Ranger .308!

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:11 pm

ESquared wrote:This may not come as a huge surprise, but I took delivery of my Long Ranger .308 a couple of days ago and got it sighted in at 50 yds yesterday. Did a deal at my local range/shop, as they had one hanging on the wall (early production) that had absolutely beautiful furniture.
Congratulations, ESquared. That stock is beautiful. I look forward to reading your range reports.
2 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:40 pm

Nice wood on the stock for sure. Post some targets when you can.
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:03 pm

Beautiful wood, absolutely! Did it come with the hammer extension?
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:05 pm

Curious as to your "early production" time frame? The Long Ranger was released fairly recently in 2016. Do you know birth date?

Anyway, that dark steel against your beautiful wood furniture make a terrific combination. Very nice checkering on both forend and stock. Your rifle sure is dressed purty, and is a great find. Appreciated the photos.

BTW, is your Boyt piece in the photo a rifle case or a rug? Boyt makes really quality stuff. I have a large handgun Boyt case; I was disappointed my Russian revolver is a tad too long for it (6.5" barrel, OAL = 12"), and my 3" 1873 Cattleman revolver absolutely goes swimming! Even so, still use it as it protects the handgun so well.

Enjoy that new Henry! Be safe.
PT7
2 x

~Пока~

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:17 pm

Mags wrote:Beautiful wood, absolutely! Did it come with the hammer extension?
Yes, Mags, comes with the hammer extension and a set of Skinner sight mounts. I believe that, in more current production, the sight mounts are installed at the factory on the "no sight" versions of the Long Ranger. These were just in the box, and I was able to get the rear mount on with no problem, but my smith had to work with some of the countersink holes to get the front mount on.
2 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:26 pm

PT7 wrote:Curious as to your "early production" time frame? The Long Ranger was released fairly recently in 2016. Do you know birth date?

Anyway, that dark steel against your beautiful wood furniture make a terrific combination. Very nice checkering on both forend and stock. Your rifle sure is dressed purty, and is a great find. Appreciated the photos.

BTW, is your Boyt piece in the photo a rifle case or a rug? Boyt makes really quality stuff. I have a large handgun Boyt case; I was disappointed my Russian revolver is a tad too long for it (6.5" barrel, OAL = 12"), and my 3" 1873 Cattleman revolver absolutely goes swimming! Even so, still use it as it protects the handgun so well.

Enjoy that new Henry! Be safe.
PT7
Thanks, PT. The pack date on the card shows it was put in the box in October, 2016, and I have an email into HRA to find out the exact born-on date. The S/N ends in "203," as I recall, so it would be pretty early on, if they number by model in sequence.

That Boyt piece is called a "Counter Rug," and I found it on Amazon for 25 bucks. I love the Boyt stuff, too (bought it the Heritage soft case, too), and this rug is 48" long, reversible and has stitched in "folds" every 16" so you and shorten it if you need/want to. Great $25 accessory, IMO.

Appreciate the comments on the wood, as I know you're a fan. It looks a bit light and dried out to me, so I might give it a little mineral oil and bees wax, just to show it some love!
2 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:29 pm

BigAl52 wrote:Nice wood on the stock for sure. Post some targets when you can.
CT_Shooter wrote:
ESquared wrote:This may not come as a huge surprise, but I took delivery of my Long Ranger .308 a couple of days ago and got it sighted in at 50 yds yesterday. Did a deal at my local range/shop, as they had one hanging on the wall (early production) that had absolutely beautiful furniture.
Congratulations, ESquared. That stock is beautiful. I look forward to reading your range reports.
Range reports and targets to come. Forecast is for rain next week, but I'll try to dodge the raindrops and get some rounds downrange!
0 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:54 pm

Totally awesome dude!
Really looking forward to your reports!
1 x
Pax at Justitia

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:01 pm

ESquared wrote:Range reports and targets to come. Forecast is for rain next week, but I'll try to dodge the raindrops and get some rounds downrange!
as with the others, I'm really looking forward to your coming reports .... based on our Browning BLR 308, the best I can come up with in response to the felt recoil is, a bit more than our Henry 44 Mag (which ain't bad at all) and much, much, much less than our 45-70 .... not surprised at hearing Henry spoke highly of 150 gr bullets .... while we haven't found a bullet weight ours doesn't like, our 150 gr Nosler Accubond bullets pushed by 47 gr of IMR4320 seems to be in its sweet spot
3 x