Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

USA Henry looking for info...

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: USA Henry looking for info...

Post by Mags » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:14 pm

Discus420 wrote:well I got a reply from Navys arms they said they had no records all the original Navy arms records were turned over to the BATF I guess todays Navy Arms is not the same company even though Val Forgett III is the president the old navy arms was his dad. I am at the end of the road for more info.
There is also a PDF file here that lists Navy Arms Historical Products from 1956 onwards.
http://www.navyarms.com/History.php
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:21 am

Discus420 wrote:well I got a reply from Navys arms they said they had no records all the original Navy arms records were turned over to the BATF I guess todays Navy Arms is not the same company even though Val Forgett III is the president the old navy arms was his dad. I am at the end of the road for more info.
You might really be interested in this one. Sold for $960 In July this year. S/N 904. Lots of pictures after scrolling down. I also saved the details and pictures to my PC in case you wanted a copy. Their site is not setup for capturing information easily.
https://www.gunauction.com/buy/14947298
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:33 am

Auctions are typically a good 'benchmark' of value and demand - but recently I have seen some ridicules amounts paid for guns (or at least what was the final bid) that were way higher than what the gun would normally sell for - even when subtracting the 30-35% auction fees & commissions This sold for what I would consider these Henrys to probably be worth. While rare they are probably not in high demand (rare doesn't always equate to demand OR value) but probably enough interest exists to always ensure one will sell if advertised.
Hey - I may be keeping a sharper eye out in the future when I am in Pawn Shops & gun shows!
0 x

Discus420
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Discus420 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:06 pm

ESquared wrote:Did you try reaching out to Henry USA to see if they either have any old records or if they might be able to lead you to another source of information? It seems like they might be interested in helping you research its history, just because of whatever connection is might have to their own research on the history of the original Henrys, which you'd think would be pretty extensive.
Just a thought...

I will try this....
0 x

Discus420
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Discus420 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:17 pm

Mags wrote:
You might really be interested in this one. Sold for $960 In July this year. S/N 904. Lots of pictures after scrolling down. I also saved the details and pictures to my PC in case you wanted a copy. Their site is not setup for capturing information easily.
https://www.gunauction.com/buy/14947298

That looks to be one for sure a little beat up but 10 or so hours of polishing and you got bling!

I have seen one other like this but it had proof marks underside, on the bottom, you would have to look at it with the breech open
looks very close to mine for sure thanks a bunch this make 3 so far that I have found on the internet one was on the gunboards forum
Notice this one does not make mention of the gun being a made in the USA although I believe it is can be for sure with out a pics of the underside with the breech in the open position but this give a least one data point on price beside my own... Thanks Mags good eye.......
0 x

Discus420
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Discus420 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:21 pm

Mistered wrote:Auctions are typically a good 'benchmark' of value and demand - but recently I have seen some ridicules amounts paid for guns (or at least what was the final bid) that were way higher than what the gun would normally sell for - even when subtracting the 30-35% auction fees & commissions This sold for what I would consider these Henrys to probably be worth. While rare they are probably not in high demand (rare doesn't always equate to demand OR value) but probably enough interest exists to always ensure one will sell if advertised.
Hey - I may be keeping a sharper eye out in the future when I am in Pawn Shops & gun shows!

It looks like there are 3 versions. Uberti made in Italy the newest, then an in between parts made in Italy but assembled in N.J. with proofs but no Uberti stamp. and the earliest of the modern 1866 yellow boys like mine with no Italian influence made by Val Forgett Jr. in New Jersey

pretty cool thanks for all the info people very much appreciated
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:26 pm

Discus420 wrote:
ESquared wrote:Did you try reaching out to Henry USA to see if they either have any old records or if they might be able to lead you to another source of information? It seems like they might be interested in helping you research its history, just because of whatever connection is might have to their own research on the history of the original Henrys, which you'd think would be pretty extensive.
Just a thought...

I will try this....
A good place to start would probably be Patrick Hall: patrick@henryusa.com

Keep us posted!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:26 am

Discus420 wrote:... Notice this one does not make mention of the gun being a made in the USA although I believe it is can be for sure with out a pics of the underside with the breech in the open position but this give a least one data point on price beside my own... Thanks Mags good eye.......
The auction notice and the stamp on the top of the barrel indicate it was made in USA.
Not sure what proof mark you mean. 'National Proofing' is a Euro thing.
Henry 1860 NJ.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Discus420
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Discus420 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:01 pm

My last question on this rifle is subjective I just want a few opinions. I am thinking of selling this rifle, probably local at first and see how it goes. What would be a fair price for this rifle? I was thinking 900$ but I'm just throwing out a wild guess. I don't do business with Gunbroke so I wont list it on that auction site but what do you think is the fair value of this rifle?? Ive heard all the soapbox answers to this question before.. "It worth what someone will pay for it" and so on...….. I'm just looking for price ideas 400$ 900$ 1100$ what say you??
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:50 pm

This is going to be a tough one. Biggest problem is the LACK of others to compare prices and gauge interest. While some guns are very desirable they may not necessarily be 'rare' so there are a fair amount in circulation to compare to.
This is a unique piece and although relatively scarce I firmly believe BECAUSE the current Italian made replicas are popular there are people who would want one of these and have probably been looking but the scarcity reduces their ability to find one. Heck there are probably more ORIGINAL Henrys than these but that does not make them more valuable.
I would seriously spend some keyboard time and research collector and resell sites and/or brokers of Winchester rifles.
I occasionally peruse this site and it might not be a bad idea to contact them and let them know what you have and maybe they can give you some assistance. And while you are on the site check out the Original Henrys for sale and the prices!
http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/winchesters/
Last edited by Mistered on Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x