Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

H010 problems, help?

Leverman
Tenderfoot
United States of America

H010 problems, help?

Post by Leverman » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:36 am

First post!

I recently acquired a 45-70 henry and shot it recently and encountered some problems.

1: under recoil the magazine tube moves forward, extending past the muzzle maybe 2-3 inches. I doodled this as a example:
25531-DEFAULT-l.jpg
2: the ghost ring rear sight is loose enough to rattle on touch

3: the front barrel bad that goes up into the front sight has a gap inbetween the different halves, but if you tighten it together you no longer can open the mag tube. also it worked apart a little under recoil.

4: IDK is this is a problem but the action opens when i am loading the tube, sometimes far enough for a cartridge to get on the lifter.

Your suggestions? other than these, it is a good rifle, very beautiful!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
My shoulder isn't bruised yet i swear!

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: H010 problems, help?

Post by JEBar » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:11 am

first, welcome to the forum .... delighted to have you with us .... did you by this rifle new .. :?: .. regardless, if you call them, Henry will make it right .... the barrel ban and the tube movement most certainly need to be addressed .... if the front sight is an after market addition, you might need to address its issue with its manufacture .... please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add your Henry to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 673#p67673
0 x

Leverman
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Leverman » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:23 am

JEBar wrote:first, welcome to the forum .... delighted to have you with us .... did you by this rifle new .. :?: .. regardless, if you call them, Henry will make it right .... the barrel ban and the tube movement most certainly need to be addressed .... if the front sight is an after market addition, you might need to address its issue with its manufacture .... please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add your Henry to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 673#p67673
It was a gift, and from what i can understand from reading the sights on this rifle were standard on the earlier big bore Henrys. they are the sights in this picture.
7-gh010_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:57 am

From the picture and your description of a barrel band front sight, I believe you have one of the early model 45-70 rifles. My .45-70 was a early model made at the Rice Lake facility. Many of those models had loading tube problems and the rifle was re-designed.

I contacted Henry and eventually they had me send mine back to them. When I received my rifle back, the barrel and loading tube were all re-designed. I have had no problems since then.

Contact Henry and they should make it right. If you have the XS Ghost Ring rear sight and like it, remove it before sending the rifle back. The new barrel and loading tube design will have the standard buckhorn sight. I did not remove my XS sight and I did not get it back.
0 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H001TLB, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:58 am

Ah, to get a Henry as a gift is wonderful, Leverman. And to have this .45-70 with a stock ghost ring rear sight is a really cool 8-) configuration.

Agree with JEBar. I'd get with Henry. No doubt whatsoever that they will help set your rifle to "new" operating condition.
Keep us posted, please. And we'll look forward to your Range Reports, too! :)
PT7
0 x

~Пока~

Leverman
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Leverman » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:23 am

PT7 wrote:Ah, to get a Henry as a gift is wonderful, Leverman. And to have this .45-70 with a stock ghost ring rear sight is a really cool 8-) configuration.

Agree with JEBar. I'd get with Henry. No doubt whatsoever that they will help set your rifle to "new" operating condition.
Keep us posted, please. And we'll look forward to your Range Reports, too! :)
PT7
I definitely will.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:42 am

From my own experience and reading of others on the forum, #4 is common. I've gotten in the habit of griping through the lever with my left hand around the neck of the stock when closing the mag tube. Otherwise I would often see the lever pop open and a round shoved into the receiver. #3 sounds like the mag tube is crimped. Its a split tube with the seam under the barrel. The seam can be seen through the mag tube loading port. The seam is not welded, so getting the band too tight, the edges of the seam can bypass each other and the reduced diameter then squeezes the inner mag tube. The front band was possible over tightened in an attempt to keep the mag tube from moving forward during recoil. My opinion, the rifle needs to go back to Henry to be repaired. If you want to keep the XS sights remove them before sending to Henry. As 'steve51' shared the rifle comes back repaired but with buckhorn sights.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:41 pm

Welcome, and I echo the others. Contact Henry and go from there. By the way, nice gift!
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Leverman
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Leverman » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:04 pm

so uh, where is the serial number on these?
0 x

Leverman
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Leverman » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:14 pm

Contacted Henry and one of their reps told me to take a warranty request on the rifle! so i did so.

And if i understand the serial number system it seems this was one of the first 1000 rifles, unless they use batch serials.
1 x