Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

BBAW 44 with an "Ace in the Hole" fitted.

Schneeky
Tenderfoot
United States of America

BBAW 44 with an "Ace in the Hole" fitted.

Post by Schneeky » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:30 pm

Just got it back from the 'smith. Looks more like I wanted.
And now it's possible to use any Marlin hole pattern mount if desired.
Options are goooood.. d;^)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Schneeky on Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
6 x
Outside the wire it's just us chickens, dig? d;^)

bmsma
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: BBAW 44 with an "Ace in the Hole" fitted.

Post by bmsma » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:02 pm

i know it might not look "right" but id love to see a octagonal all weather, thats a good looking one thought
0 x
Troy Jones
N Oklahoma,

1/2 of a old hippy couple just trying to enjoy life.
proud son of a WWII Veteran, Proud Father of a Veteran, Veteran USAF 85-92

ride safe, ride free, never forget those who paid for our freedom

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:11 am

very nice indeed .... looking forward to your range reports and comments
0 x

Slugnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Slugnut » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:51 am

Nice set-up. Keep us posted on how she shoots.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:27 pm

Look forward to a range report
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Schneeky
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Schneeky » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:10 pm

Dunno why that pic got weird.
Since I've gotten older and my eyesight isn't so great the idea is to be able to swap optics according to the situation. I'm really hoping the peep will work with the existing front sight but no biggie if it doesn't. I'm thinking I already checked that on the first go around with an Ace in the Hole and it was GTG. A nice fiber optic of some sort up front wouldn't be such a bad thing.
I've got a Burris FF3 on an American Defense QD base and one of the little Leupold 1" 1-4x Pig Plex scopes on QD mounts. I'm thinkin the thermal may be a bit heavy for those little mounting screws so it's staying with another rifle more suited for that work.
It's gonna be fun to mess with this season. Gonna be starting load development very soon. Just wanna get a good deer/hog load that won't destroy too much meat like the 308 does (125 SST's that were fine for deer). Starting with 240 XTP's, SP's and 2400 or whatever. There's quite a few powders around here now. Got a real hankering to make somethin happen with the Speer 270gr SP Deep Curl, tho'.
A clean hole thru a young doe or a l'il splitter pig would be good for the spit! :P d;^)
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:52 am

Schneeky wrote:Dunno why that pic got weird.
It's forum software thing. Your picture got stretched vertically during posting. Curious about the details? Browse through this topic.
http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 108#p64089
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:43 am

Schneeky wrote:Dunno why that pic got weird.
Since I've gotten older and my eyesight isn't so great the idea is to be able to swap optics according to the situation. I'm really hoping the peep will work with the existing front sight but no biggie if it doesn't. I'm thinking I already checked that on the first go around with an Ace in the Hole and it was GTG. A nice fiber optic of some sort up front wouldn't be such a bad thing.
I've got a Burris FF3 on an American Defense QD base and one of the little Leupold 1" 1-4x Pig Plex scopes on QD mounts. I'm thinkin the thermal may be a bit heavy for those little mounting screws so it's staying with another rifle more suited for that work.
It's gonna be fun to mess with this season. Gonna be starting load development very soon. Just wanna get a good deer/hog load that won't destroy too much meat like the 308 does (125 SST's that were fine for deer). Starting with 240 XTP's, SP's and 2400 or whatever. There's quite a few powders around here now. Got a real hankering to make somethin happen with the Speer 270gr SP Deep Curl, tho'.
A clean hole thru a young doe or a l'il splitter pig would be good for the spit! :P d;^)
I do the same with my AR's. I'll use a Leupold 1.25-4 with a Firedot reticle or an Aimpoint PRO on one with a free float handguard depending on my desires that day or distance. Or go with one of the other AR's with open sights. I don't do it with my Big Boy as it is one of the older brass models. If I had an All Weather model, I would be very tempted to do the same as you. Certainly helps with the eyes! I really do love the finish on the All Weather.
1 x
Made by Henry, Or Not Made At All

Schneeky
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Schneeky » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:47 pm

DAVIDF wrote:I do the same with my AR's. I'll use a Leupold 1.25-4 with a Firedot reticle or an Aimpoint PRO on one with a free float handguard depending on my desires that day or distance. Or go with one of the other AR's with open sights. I don't do it with my Big Boy as it is one of the older brass models. If I had an All Weather model, I would be very tempted to do the same as you. Certainly helps with the eyes! I really do love the finish on the All Weather.
Agreed, I'd have a hard time doin this to a nice classic Henry. But this puppy is gonna be a workin' rifle.
..I've used a Leupold HOG Pig Plex 1.25-4x 30mm Illum. mounted inna LaRue SPR for a few years on the SCAR 17s down at the hunt club. Been really liking the low power variable for practical applications and RTZ has been great. Gonna try the Warne QD rings this time and see what I get. Kinda leery at the price point, but it's a bit "less critical" at the yardages for which I'm gonna be using this particular rifle. Hopefully they have acceptable RTZ as I don't really wanna "clunk up" the BBAW with bulky-but-effective QD gear.
What'r ya using for QD mounts?
I'm kinda new to 44 so soon as I find a load with decent accuracy/velocity I'll try it in the woods on pigs. Don't really plan to nit-pick it to death. MOA-ish will do fine for the expected ranges. Really hoping to avoid using the scope too much. If for some reason I can't use the peep,I'll leave the FF on and tote the scope in the pack if it's needed on stand.
That's the grande plan, anyways. Hehehe. :roll: d:^) Jake..
0 x

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:21 am

Schneeky wrote:
DAVIDF wrote:I do the same with my AR's. I'll use a Leupold 1.25-4 with a Firedot reticle or an Aimpoint PRO on one with a free float handguard depending on my desires that day or distance. Or go with one of the other AR's with open sights. I don't do it with my Big Boy as it is one of the older brass models. If I had an All Weather model, I would be very tempted to do the same as you. Certainly helps with the eyes! I really do love the finish on the All Weather.
Agreed, I'd have a hard time doin this to a nice classic Henry. But this puppy is gonna be a workin' rifle.
..I've used a Leupold HOG Pig Plex 1.25-4x 30mm Illum. mounted inna LaRue SPR for a few years on the SCAR 17s down at the hunt club. Been really liking the low power variable for practical applications and RTZ has been great. Gonna try the Warne QD rings this time and see what I get. Kinda leery at the price point, but it's a bit "less critical" at the yardages for which I'm gonna be using this particular rifle. Hopefully they have acceptable RTZ as I don't really wanna "clunk up" the BBAW with bulky-but-effective QD gear.
What'r ya using for QD mounts?
I'm kinda new to 44 so soon as I find a load with decent accuracy/velocity I'll try it in the woods on pigs. Don't really plan to nit-pick it to death. MOA-ish will do fine for the expected ranges. Really hoping to avoid using the scope too much. If for some reason I can't use the peep,I'll leave the FF on and tote the scope in the pack if it's needed on stand.
That's the grande plan, anyways. Hehehe. :roll: d:^) Jake..
I am using https://www.leupold.com/scope-mounts/ma ... ing-system. Not a quick release though. Two nuts, so I carry a wrench that fits those nuts in the bag for that particular AR, a cheapie Palmetto State, 14.7" FN barrel with a pinned & welded A2 flash hider. That mount does return to zero quite well. I was just shooting that AR yesterday at a 200yd range. I mounted my Leupold which had not been on it for quite a while. It was still zero'd for 200.
1 x
Made by Henry, Or Not Made At All