Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

H010B recoil mitigation

Dadio63
Tenderfoot
United States of America

H010B recoil mitigation

Post by Dadio63 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:16 pm

Howdy Ladies and Gents,
I’m new here, and very happy to have found a forum dedicated to the Henry, so many other forums dealing only with the Marlin.
I took my new 45-70 to the range last weekend to sight in my scope after bore sighting at home.
I used factory ammo (Great Lakes, 300g hp) to sight in with. I do plan on reloading my own ammo, using Hornady 350gr fnsp as my hunting round (boar, deer).
Anyway, at the range, after putting 29 rounds down range and getting the point of impact at the point of aim at 25yds, I wanted to cry when I sent the 30th round on it’s way.
I have investigated sending the barrel off to Magna-port to either have the barrel ported or to have a muzzle break installed.
I have since opted not to persue either option, due to concerns with value depreciation to the rifle as well as the associated noise issue involved with each option to bystanders.
I am waiting on delivery of a shock eater shooting pad as this received good reviews, but was wondering about recoil pads installed on the stock.
Limb saver comes to mind, and I know there are others available as well.
Does anyone here have any suggestions or comment s concerning recoil pads...slip on, custom fit/mounted, etc...?
Thanks for your help folks, I really want to enjoy this beautiful piece of work as much as possible.
0 x
USMC ‘84-‘88 (0311, 8152, 1141)
Henry H010B (45-70)

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: H010B recoil mitigation

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:12 pm

Hi Dadio

Here's what I use on my 5 pound lite Contender Carbine when it's wearing its 45-70 barrel. I get it from https://www.buffaloarms.com/slip-on-but ... act2607l-m. It's made by Action products. It really does help with the recoil. (Actually, it's about the only way I can shoot the 45-70 barrel on this rig. :)) I like the way the leather and the lace up combine for a more traditional look than rubber slip on pads.

0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:16 pm

Dadio63 wrote:Howdy Ladies and Gents,
I’m new here,
Welcome to the forum. It's a great place to share and learn. Congratulations on your new Henry.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Dadio63
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Dadio63 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:26 pm

CT_Shooter- Thanks! Happy to be here, looking forward to learning and making new friends!

North Country Gal - Beautiful looking rifle! The lace on leather recoil pad looks sweet! I have a leather lace on cheek pad to raise my head 1” to better line up with my scope, I’m not sure how the two pieces would marry up.

I do like the leather look over the slip on rubber pads. I think I may have to remove the brass butt plate and install a screw on recoil pad. More research to do.

Thanks for the input!
0 x
USMC ‘84-‘88 (0311, 8152, 1141)
Henry H010B (45-70)

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:31 pm

I've found the following mods ARE effective in drastically reducing felt recoil .... we have used them on our 45-70 and other big bangers like our 300 WBY Mag :

1. aftermarket barrel upgrade .... in this area, I favor suppression that doesn't redirect some of the muzzle blast back into the face of the shooter ... the old Browning BOSS system was effective but its redirection of muzzle blast put it on my, I won't use list .... Mag-Na-Port's classic system ===> http://magnaport.com/ <=== is one I have found to be effective on hard kicking rifles and revolvers .... I had them work on our 45-70 about a year ago and couldn't be happier with the results .... less recoil, much less barrel jump, much easier/quicker to lock onto a second shot

2. install/upgrade recoil pad .... for those who do not want to permanently install a pad, slip on ones are available .... historically I've gone with Pachmayr's F990 Triple Magnum Field pad ===> http://www.pachmayr.com/home/F990.php <=== last year, based on advice from a gunsmith we tried KICK-EEZ Dual-Action recoil absorbing pads ===> https://kickeezproducts.com/recoil-pads ... ecoil-pad/ <=== for me the jury is still out as to which is the best but based on the last couple of years I'm leaning toward the KICK-EEZ

3. in stock recoil suppression .... there is no doubt in my mind that properly installing a Mercury Recoil Suppressor ===> http://www.mercuryrecoil.com/ <=== in a rifle or shotgun does reduce felt recoil .... we have had it installed in 6 and plan to add 3 more in February
0 x

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:14 pm

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Henry .45-70.

Sorry that I have no advice to cure your problem. I have the round barrel steel version .45-70 and it comes with a recoil pad. I can shoot standard factory ammo without feeling much effect from the recoil. I am sure I would suffer the effects if I only had a brass butt plate on mine.

From mild to wild - the .45-70 is a very versatile rifle.
Hope someone here can suggest a fix that works to your satisfaction.
0 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H001TLB, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

Mgderf
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mgderf » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:26 pm

"Kick-Eeez" recoil pads work wonders.
I put one on my Marlin 1895 and it made a world of difference.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:31 pm

DIY. This works too. Cut to size/shape of your butt. Also trim out the adhesive strips. The curve give grip to the stock.
pipe insulation.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:32 am

Mags wrote:DIY. This works too. Cut to size/shape of your butt. Also trim out the adhesive strips. The curve give grip to the stock.

pipe insulation.JPG

interesting .... thanks for a new idea .... I'd never considered pipe insulation
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:13 am

Mags wrote:DIY. This works too. Cut to size/shape of your butt. Also trim out the adhesive strips. The curve give grip to the stock.

pipe insulation.JPG
Thanks for reminding me. I know a shooter who used the foam trick on a crescent shape buttplate and then proceeded to add a standard slip on recoil pad over the top of it. Said it worked wonders for his 45-70.
1 x