Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Long Ranger

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Long Ranger

Post by Mags » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:25 pm

ESquared wrote:... We need DLW to check back in and give us an update...
Are you asking someone to do something?
There's no way for forum members to reach out to DLW. The onus is on DLW to login to check his forum notifications and/or check topics he's participated in. Until then we wait.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:46 am

Understood.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:14 am

I have handled and hefted a couple Long Rangers and really like the overall balance and 'feel' but until I watched the Hickock45 vid I did not know the receivers were alloy on these. This potentially explains some of the tight bolt issues previously reported on with the all-weather models.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:59 am

I dropped DLW a PM to see how he's doing with it. Some folks are frequent shoppers here and some aren't, so we'll see. Overall, the write-ups and vids on this model are at least an "A-", if not an A or A+.
Way more written and reported on accuracy than I thought, and 1" groups or less seem to be very common (in pretty much all calibers) in a variety of ammo brands at 100 yds. It's basically bolt-action lock-up in levergun package when it comes to mechanics and accuracy. Lots written about the "sporter" barrel design, mild recoil in the .308, etc. Everybody seems to love it.
Might have to trek across town to Cabela's, where they have at least a 223 in stock, just for a live look-see...
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:29 am

ESquared wrote:...Might have to trek across town to Cabela's, where they have at least a 223 in stock, just for a live look-see...
There is no 'might' about it. You gotta go check it out for us. There are no Long Rangers currently in my area. Can't wait to hear what you think :!:
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:54 pm

ESquared wrote:You all have probably seen this one from Hickok45. He's typically sort of skeptical/critical of Henrys, and he sort of dogs the Long Ranger in this vid, all the while claiming that he's "not a hunter," so there's the grain of salt that has to be taken into account.
It's also completely void of the type of hard data that this thread seems to be seeking, as he absolutely refuses to even sit down to shoot, let alone use a rest. My takeaway is he doesn't know what to make of it or do with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXuWIYJqO20
I think you nailed it E^2. It's clear that the gun is not his cup of tea. The funny thing about 'ol Hickok, he can shoot his model 29 @100yds as well as he can shoot a scoped 700. I don't think he is particularly good with scopes.
ESquared wrote:Here's what the group is after, at least in .223 terms. No reason to think that .308 would be much different, is there?

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... ng-ranger/
That is VERY encouraging E^2 and exactly the kind of info I was looking for, but we need more reports :D
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:03 pm

ESquared wrote:While apples-and-oranges, choosing between the Long Ranger in .308 and a 30-30 CCH is a tough one.
At first I thought it would be a waste to get this in 30-30, but then I started to think how cool to have this unique gun in that caliber to test handloads and see what this girl can do with a cartridge not particularly known for accuracy.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:23 pm

Henry88 wrote:
ESquared wrote:While apples-and-oranges, choosing between the Long Ranger in .308 and a 30-30 CCH is a tough one.
At first I thought it would be a waste to get this in 30-30, but then I started to think how cool to have this unique gun in that caliber to test handloads and see what this girl can do with a cartridge not particularly known for accuracy.
You're 100% right, since you're a skilled hand-loader. To me, as an off-the-shelf-ammo-buyer, having handled the Long Ranger, the 30-30 gives me pause.
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:09 pm

ESquared wrote:
Henry88 wrote:
You're 100% right, since you're a skilled hand-loader. To me, as an off-the-shelf-ammo-buyer, having handled the Long Ranger, the 30-30 gives me pause.
Sorry but I don't load either. I just assumed you did as that would really be the purpose of buying in that caliber, IMO.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:54 pm

Henry88 wrote:
ESquared wrote:
Henry88 wrote: At first I thought it would be a waste to get this in 30-30, but then I started to think how cool to have this unique gun in that caliber to test handloads and see what this girl can do with a cartridge not particularly known for accuracy.
Sorry but I don't load either. I just assumed you did as that would really be the purpose of buying in that caliber, IMO.
My mistake, then, just assumed you did, based on your comment. Wave-lengths, huh? :lol:
0 x