Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Long Ranger

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Long Ranger

Post by JEBar » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:15 am

Mags wrote:Not sure I like the floating barrel. For my wish list firearm, is it a thing to be concerned about? Seems to me the barrel would jump some just cupped in the forestock without being solidly attached to it.
free-floating a barrel is a long standing design technology used in highly accurate rifles .... it is common in match grade rifles where it is proven to increase the accuracy of the weapon ....
3 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:18 am

Yeah, I'm sure it's a great long range hunting rifle. I was just hoping for more "meat and potatoes" reporting and less fluff, given the amount of time it's been out.

I would offer the type of range reports that NCG does as an example.

Patience..............
JEBar wrote:
Mags wrote:Not sure I like the floating barrel. For my wish list firearm, is it a thing to be concerned about? Seems to me the barrel would jump some just cupped in the forestock without being solidly attached to it.
free-floating a barrel is a long standing design technology used in highly accurate rifles .... it is common in match grade rifles where it is proven to increase the accuracy of the weapon ....
That was my understanding, from what I had heard on the web.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:34 am

Thanks for the nice comment, 88, but I don't see a Long Ranger in my future, at least not, yet. :)

As JEBar mentions, I wouldn't give the free floating barrel a second thought, though. As long as the manufacturer designed the gun around it, it's a good way to go and actually an accuracy enhancement, especially on guns that you might shoot with a hot barrel. Free floating is part of the entire action/barrel bedding package. Where people sometimes get in trouble is playing gunsmith and free floating a barrel in a gun that was not designed to use a free floated barrel. Free floating a barrel in a stock and a action not designed for it can actually reduce accuracy. Been there, done that.
4 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:54 am

I thought exactly the same thing when I first saw a Henry without a barrel band, then it popped up in some review that it's actually an accuracy enhancement to have the barrel "float."

This is an overview, but Google will flood you with articles, many of which are Tacti-cool/AR-type points of view, but the theory remains the same, I guess, regardless of platform...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-floating_barrel
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:08 pm

ok, it's off my concern list. Thank you all for your good answers.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

dlw
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by dlw » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:06 pm

Hey guys !
Sorry for not responding earlier.
House projects for the wife take priority over going shooting. Imagine that. LOL.
I was able to take my Long Ranger in 556 out to the range for a short break in.
Couldn't do an accuracy test due to my eye sight challenges and the factory low profile sights but let me say it shoots extremely well.
Very well balanced and soft shooting.
I just installed the picatinny rail and took an Eotech EXPS3-0 and mounted it.
Hopefully going out this friday.
With the right ammo I fully feel it will be as accurate as a bolt action. The twist rate limits the ammo selection and when I go I'll be taking a wide variety to see how it shoots. I will be limited due to no magnification but I hopefully will get some worthwhile data.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:00 am

dlw wrote:Hey guys !
House projects for the wife take priority over going shooting. Imagine that. LOL.
Couldn't do an accuracy test due to my eye sight challenges and the factory low profile sights but let me say it shoots extremely well.
With the right ammo I fully feel it will be as accurate as a bolt action. The twist rate limits the ammo selection and when I go I'll be taking a wide variety to see how it shoots. I will be limited due to no magnification but I hopefully will get some worthwhile data.
DLW,
I've been tracking this thread and wonder if you got out to put some different types of ammo through your Long Ranger yet? Would be great to hear your impressions/experiences, as you seem to be one of a very small group here on the forum who actually owns one of these models.
Thanks in advance!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:22 am

You all have probably seen this one from Hickok45. He's typically sort of skeptical/critical of Henrys, and he sort of dogs the Long Ranger in this vid, all the while claiming that he's "not a hunter," so there's the grain of salt that has to be taken into account.
It's also completely void of the type of hard data that this thread seems to be seeking, as he absolutely refuses to even sit down to shoot, let alone use a rest. My takeaway is he doesn't know what to make of it or do with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXuWIYJqO20
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:40 am

Here's what the group is after, at least in .223 terms. No reason to think that .308 would be much different, is there?

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... ng-ranger/
2 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:23 pm

ESquared wrote:
dlw wrote:Hey guys !
DLW,
I've been tracking this thread and wonder if you got out to put some different types of ammo through your Long Ranger yet? Would be great to hear your impressions/experiences, as you seem to be one of a very small group here on the forum who actually owns one of these models.
Thanks in advance!
We need DLW to check back in and give us an update. This one is on my list nowadays.

While apples-and-oranges, choosing between the Long Ranger in .308 and a 30-30 CCH is a tough one.
0 x