Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Long Ranger

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Long Ranger

Post by Henry88 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:09 pm

Hey guys,

I'm not in the market, but just out of curiosity, I am trying to figure out if these are capable of keeping up with a comparable bolt action with regards to accuracy. I see a lot of posts about new guns, and trying different ammo, etc. but can they generally be relied upon to shoot 2 MOA?
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Long Ranger

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:48 pm

Every post I've read about similar action guns like the Browning BLR, shooting modern cartridges, says they will do better than 2 MOA. Honestly, no way would I keep a rifle like that that couldn't do better than 2 MOA. Even my Marlin 30-30s could be counted on to do that when scoped. I think the biggest thing you would lose with one of these is a fully adjustable trigger that you can get on so many bolt guns, now. Lock times tend to also favor a good bolt gun and, of course, one piece stocks. Still, if I bought a Browning BLR, I'd be a bit disappointed it 2 MOA was the best it could do.
1 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:06 am

Thanks for the reply NCG. And Yeah, what you're saying fits what I've seen. It's a long range hunting rifle. I just had not seen many analytic range reports of the type you post. Also it was difficult to search our Centerfire Rifle Forum, generating hundreds of hits for long ranger. I ended up going through the forum using the browser's CRTL F search, but wasn't much there.

I think at some point the Centerfire forum should be broken up to make searches for particular issues easier.

Anyway thanks for the response and see if anybody here has a range report to refer us to.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:59 am

we need 'search for a phrase' capability. Using "Long Ranger" as an example, the search function finds all topics with just the word "long" plus all the topics with the word "Ranger" plus all the topics with both words but separated plus all topics with the words next to each other in any order. That's why we get hundred of hits. If search could be told to treat "Long Ranger" as a phrase then the search function would only return topics in which the two words occur next to each other and in the word order they were given. Topics in which the words "Long" and "Ranger" were stand alone would be ignored by search. the advance search capability of this forum can't search for phrases either.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:29 am

Surely, though, we have some folks, right here on our forum, that shoot these guns. I'm surprised at the lack of comments. Hey, guys, a little help.
3 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:59 am

Long Ranger is on my wish list. If I had one I'd be sharing about it.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:19 pm

yes Ma'am .. :D

I don't have a Long Ranger but I do have an early edition (Belgium made) BLR .... it holds 5 308 rounds (1 in the chamber, 4 in the clip) .... several times over the years from a sandbag bench rest, I've fired 4 interlocking rounds with 1 just outside of the linked hole .... I must admit to a long sense of frustration at not having interlocked all 5 .... I have no clue what MOA that would represent .... the bottom line is, my BLR is fully capable of firing better groups than I am able to make it fire .... having never fired a Long Ranger I can't say fro sure if that would be the case .... but, based on extensive firing our Henry 357 Mag, 44 Mag, and 45-70, I have no reason not to believe that would be the case with a Long Ranger as well
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:09 pm

No Long ranger here but if Im not mistaken there is some videos on youtube of the Long Ranger.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:29 pm

There are actually quite a few YouTube vids. I scanned through a few and this one seems like they know what they're doing, but, as you know, I'm no expert. They all seem to be fighting some sort of wind or another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLJ3mjLyKwM
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:55 pm

Not sure I like the floating barrel. For my wish list firearm, is it a thing to be concerned about? Seems to me the barrel would jump some just cupped in the forestock without being solidly attached to it.
0 x