Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Seeking Advice on A Used Henry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Seeking Advice on A Used Henry

Post by Mags » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:10 pm

At the $525 price you referred to and the condition you say it is in, with the original ghost sights, I'd jump at the opportunity to buy it.

Yes what Jdl447 said.
Jdl447 wrote:It is an older model. The 45-70 and 30-30 originally came with those sights from the factory.
Please note some of the earlier generations of the 45-70 and 30-30 (pre-March 2017) had a problem with the mag tube expanding. Folks that were sending their rifle to Henry for service were getting it back with a more robust mag tube and the ghost sight swapped out for buckhorn sights. There is an older topic somewhere here on HRF and elsewhere on the web about this issue. If you buy it and ever need to send it to Henry for service, take the ghost sight off before sending it in.

As I said, I'd jump at the opportunity to buy it.
Last edited by Mags on Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:21 pm

ESquared wrote:Thanks, this is just another confirmation that this isn't the deal for me. Why take a $525 gun and potentially put another $300 in it, when $800 (+/-) will get one into a NEW Color Case Hardened 30-30? That's one beautiful gun, in my opinion, and no scratches on the receiver, just tie-dye!
I missed the part about putting another $300 into it. Where did that come from?
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:18 pm

It's just that if the regular sights don't work for me, then the only option is to start dovetailing the barrel for other sights, replacing the barrel band somehow, who knows? I'd rather keep my powder dry than jump on this one. It's not a "one of a kind"/can't miss rifle. The CCH is on my wish list and this one wasn't even on my radar until about 3 hours ago.

Needed to talk myself off the ledge, in other words.
2 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:54 pm

It's the ones not on your radar that get you. Be careful :)
Last edited by North Country Gal on Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:08 pm

ESquared wrote:...wasn't even on my radar until about 3 hours ago. Needed to talk myself off the ledge, in other words.
That my friend is the impulsive and addictive part of owning a Henry. The need for another one and soon. It can be hard to ease back and step away. Other members have referred to this as the "Henry Virus" and "Henryitus".
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:26 pm

Mags wrote:
ESquared wrote:...wasn't even on my radar until about 3 hours ago. Needed to talk myself off the ledge, in other words.
That my friend is the impulsive and addictive part of owning a Henry. The need for another one and soon. It can be hard to ease back and step away. Other members have referred to this as the "Henry Virus" and "Henryitus".
North Country Gal wrote:It's the ones not on your radar that get you. Be careful :)
Oh, I'm aware, believe me. I think I've shared here before that I'm a member of another forum where the malady is known as "The Signess."

And another forum that is aptly named "1911Addicts.com."

The good thing about this place (so far, anyway) is that it does not seem to be populated by enablers. The places referenced above, just one gun junkie after another. Too much fun!

I need to cool my jets and get through this deer hunting season before going off the ranch, so to speak.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:07 pm

Is $525 a "don't be a dummy, buy the gun" price, or is it "just fair" based on what I've described?
That price will put you into a nice used Winchester 94 or a Marlin 336. I am not saying the Henry is a poor choice or the price is not right but personally if I were in the market for a 30-30 (and I am not - I own three Winchesters) I would stick with certain 'traditions' when it comes to the 30-30, for a variety of reasons.
Maybe more importantly, what in the world would I do with a 30-30
Well that depends on you - IF you are planning on hunting MOST deer are shot at ranges that a .357 would be entirely adequate for. Depending on where you live you may be dramatically limited on range due to the environment and a .357 might be just fine.
While the 30- 30 may have a marked advantage in range over the .357 It's not so dramatic as to be of a GREAT advantage over a .357. My point being if you feel shots might be taken at say 150 - 200 yards or more then a rifle with a more powerful caliber should be chosen to start with. You don't want to be in a hunting environment where a 200 + yard shot (or more) might be a possibility and only have a .357 - or a 30-30.
Where I live long distance shots 300-400+ yards are a possibility and I typically hunt with a .243 Winchester but because I did not draw any tags this year I may buy a general Western Oregon deer tag and travel a short distance just inside the Western Oregon region where the woods are much thicker and shots can be as close as a few yards to really probably no more than 75 maybe and my .357 BBB or one of my 30-30s will be just fine. Heck I may hunt with my 1899 Winchester Klondike Sporting Rifle - at 118 years old it is still a tackdriver!
To summarize I love the 30-30, reload and shoot mine often with most of it being offhand field shooting at varmints or random targets. The Henry is a great rifle and I love my .357 BBB but for a 30-30 I Believe one is better served with a Winchester or Marlin and I often see both in good, used condition in the $500 (or less) price range.
3 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:07 am

Mistered wrote: To summarize I love the 30-30, reload and shoot mine often with most of it being offhand field shooting at varmints or random targets. The Henry is a great rifle and I love my .357 BBB but for a 30-30 I Believe one is better served with a Winchester or Marlin and I often see both in good, used condition in the $500 (or less) price range.
Or, a new Marlin can be had for less than $500 as well. There has been a lot of quality control concerns about new ones (2010+). But, I have not had many issues with my 2016. I did have a screw break on my loading gate though. And, Marlin did send a new one plus the gate. Yet, I have only shot about 250 rounds through it. However, time will tell.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Frontiersman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Frontiersman » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:27 am

I think I would pass. You shouldn't have to pay more than 75% for a like new gun that is still in current production. For some the 50 bucks is more important. For me, I'd rather pay a little more for a new one.

You should be able to find something in better condition for 525.00 ... or at least more unique.
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:56 am

Thanks to all for the input and advice. The fever has subsided and I'm going to just cool my jets and get through the upcoming deer season and see what's what. While I haven't yet set foot on the property we'll be hunting on, it's been described in some detail, and it sounds like typical SE Missouri undeveloped acreage: some fields, lots of timber, varied terrain, the occasional creekbed and more timber. My family had similar land while I was growing up in NE KS.

Point being, I'd be surprised if a shot presented itself that was more than 75 yards, which, to the points made above (and elsewhere), makes the BBS .357 just about ideal.

Henryitis.
0 x