Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Taking bolt out to clean barrel

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Taking bolt out to clean barrel

Post by JEBar » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:16 pm

I found the YouTube video below to be very helpful in removing the bolt in our BBS 44 Mag .... as opposed to some other methods, it only requires removing ONE screw .... I do like the concept of cleaning the barrel from the chamber outward as is done with most bolt actions .... I must admit that I was hesitant to remove the lever but doing so proved to be an easy operation

HENRY LEVER ACTION RIFLE CARE AND CLEANING ===> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY2bBIo-wL8
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:03 pm

Not a fan of this video. My reasons:
It's not necessary to remove the bolt to clean the chamber and out the barrel. There are cable cleaning rods for that purpose.
If there is a reason to clean the bolt itself and the bolt hole than than this is a good procedure except for the use of liquid lube. Liquid lube captures dust and eventually gets gummy. Graphite powder or a dry gun lube are better choices.
Flitz should not be used on brass. The inner mag tube got real shinny, but use of Flitz will cause it to more quickly tarnish.
Missing in the video is disassembly and cleaning of the inner mag tube to get the grim out that accumulates in behind the follower and inner mag tube spring.

Video was very helpful/useful in demonstating the one screw removal for getting the bolt out to clean it. Good design on Henry's part!
JEBar wrote:I found the YouTube video below to be very helpful in removing the bolt in our BBS 44 Mag .... as opposed to some other methods, it only requires removing ONE screw .... I do like the concept of cleaning the barrel from the chamber outward as is done with most bolt actions .... I must admit that I was hesitant to remove the lever but doing so proved to be an easy operation

HENRY LEVER ACTION RIFLE CARE AND CLEANING ===> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY2bBIo-wL8
Last edited by Mags on Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:31 pm

I have cables and do use them .... I find using them to take much longer than a standard rod .... basically, I haven't found a way to push a cable and that makes it impossible to "swab" out a barrel
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:55 pm

Removal of the bolt and cleaning from the chamber is the method recommended in my Marlin's owner manual. I find this method also allows for the bolt and lever to be cleaned and lube. As such, both rifles (Henry and Marlin) cycles smoothly.
3 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:37 pm

I take my bolt out every time I clean my Henrys and Marlins. The screw that holds the lever in wont wear out in my life time and even if it did I bet Henry has a bin full of them they would sell you for spares.
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:47 am

I generally don't swab out the barrel using an in/out back and forth scrubbing motion. I drag through the chamber and out the muzzle in one direction, always. First in, drag through a dry bore snake from chamber to muzzle. Followed by swabs dowsed with solvent, until they come out the muzzle clean. Then one last swab barely damp with gun oil. If I have a lot of copper fouling, then I plug the barrel from inside the chamber with a bore squeegee and put good dose of copper solvent in the barrel from the muzzle. Then plug the muzzle with another bore squeegee. Reorient the rifle a few times to get the solvent well distributed in the barrel. Then let it soak for 30 minutes or so. Then swab out. There is an older post in another topic somewhere here that gets into the nitty gritty of the steps. Including how to get the squeegee into and out of the chamber end of the barrel. Good luck hunting for it.
JEBar wrote:I have cables and do use them .... I find using them to take much longer than a standard rod .... basically, I haven't found a way to push a cable and that makes it impossible to "swab" out a barrel
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

.45Steel
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by .45Steel » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:48 pm

I shot my Big Boy Steel for a little over 2 yrs and always just cleaned the bore while checking for leading. Never found any by the way. I was reluctant to remove the lever and bolt for a thorough cleaning.I bit the bullet so to speak last weekend. Man..it was dirty after 100s of rounds. She's all cleaned up now and ready for rifle season next Monday. It was easy as pie and will get done more often now.
3 x
H010G 45-70
H012 .45 Colt
H001TER .22

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:13 pm

.45Steel wrote:I was reluctant to remove the lever and bolt for a thorough cleaning.I bit the bullet so to speak last weekend .....
It was easy as pie and will get done more often now.
all too well understood .... it was much the same for me
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:07 pm

Before I took them hunting, I did a pretty deep clean of my 30-30 and 308 barrels (bore snake, multiple patches, Hoppes, Ballistol, dry patches, light oil, etc.).
Even though I didn't fire a shot, I did another clean today, mainly to get the outside smudges and forest grit off, but was amazed how much crud came out of the barrels again.
I guess you just can't clean 'em too often or too completely!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:56 am

Being able to remove the bolt is a plus for HRA rifles in pistol calibers. I understand it's possible to remove the bolt of a Marlin '94 , but not as practical as a 336 style action.
0 x
Pax at Justitia