Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New Henry, advice

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: New Henry, advice

Post by PT7 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:58 pm

Yup, I'd be one of those fellows that would have to pack up the Henry parts, send it in the box rattling all the way to Henry, and on bended knees asked that they put my humpty-dumpty back together. :lol:

I'm certain they would do it, but I am positive I wouldn't be on their list of "favorite customers." ;)
0 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:06 pm

Aww, come on. Back-yard gunsmiths can put anything back together again even after awhile eventually finding those sneaky parts that wandered off. :roll:
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

dlw
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by dlw » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:39 pm

Sorry for the delay getting back to everyone. Nothing going as planned this week.
Haven't even had a chance to go to the range yet.

JEBar- I went through the BLR manual. Confirms why few gunsmiths will touch them. Yes, the Henry has a rack and pinion also but from an article that I had come across but can't find now, it is implied that the Henry is not as difficult to time as the BLR.
The "manual" that Henry sent me is almost useless. Only gives a half in focus tiny exploded view for parts identification.
Email is out to Henry for more info.
Looking things over, I feel I have a good chance with some very careful documented dissassembly I will be able to not end up with a box of parts to send to Henry. LOL.

Got my picatinny rail from Henry today.
Like I was concerned with, if the rail is installed you can't use the iron sights, when optics removed.
Looks like with some quick measurements I can machine a slot down the middle of the rail and maintain the rail integrity while allowing a sight picture to the sights. It will be like a really wide rear sight with a small view of the factory rear sight. Worth a try.

Also, the Henry has a very wide lever compared to traditional levers.
Anyone have a suggestion for lever wraps?
The owner of Palo Verde Gunworks doesn't have one that he feels will fit well.
I'm emailing other companies.

I'll post a range report as soon as I get one.

Thanks all,
david
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:25 pm

dlw wrote:Anyone have a suggestion for lever wraps?

Thanks all,
david

here is a link to a thread about lever wraps .... I believe you may find some of its info to be helpful

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... aps#p45502
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:38 am

dlw wrote: Also, the Henry has a very wide lever compared to traditional levers.
Anyone have a suggestion for lever wraps?
The owner of Palo Verde Gunworks doesn't have one that he feels will fit well.
I'm emailing other companies.

I'll post a range report as soon as I get one.

Thanks all,
david
Make your own. Small piece of nice leather, some leather lace and a lace needle and a leather punch. Beads and cat whiskers are optional.

If you want to give it a try I'd be happy to send you a piece of leather and some leather lace, you would need to get a leather punch and a lacing needle.

https://www.amazon.com/Tandy-Leather-Pe ... ace+needle

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i ... 2D797JEOKB

0 x

dlw
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by dlw » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:43 pm

dave77, looks really nice.
I think I'm going to give it a try.
There are supposed to be two Tandy stores still here in San Antonio, I think I will go there Monday after shooting to pick up supplies to make one.

Thanks for the info.
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:24 pm

Good luck. One suggestion, I would get soft leather that has some stretch to it rather than the hard leather that I've seen on some of the commercial wraps. That way you can punch your holes so the laces pull it really tight on the lever.

Next you'll need to make a leather sheath for it (for transport only, I use a Sack-up for storage).

0 x

dlw
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by dlw » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:31 pm

Now I like that !
The idea of a leather "case" for taking to the range is appealing.
Looks like you put some time into that.
I'll look at the leather on Monday or Tuesday this next week.
Might turn into a hobby.
My brother shoots CAS locally and it seems everyone is looking for leather goods.
Last edited by dlw on Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:51 pm

I got into leather work back when I was shooting at black powder rendezvous, was always planning on making some leather mountain man pants but never did get around to it.

The only really tricky part about about making the gun sheathes is matching up the lace holes on both sides of the leather. I use a ruler to mark out the holes on one side, then using a few clamps (the kind for clamping stacks of paper) to hold both sides together, punch holes through both sides of the leather for around 8 inches then lace (just one way, when it's done you go back the other way with your lace) and mark and punch again, if you try to punch holes on too long a length without lacing you'll end up with wrinkles.

The sheath I made for my long rifle was a lot more work. Twice as long and I used a double hole lace stitch so more holes to line up and more stitches too. Also I hand cut the fringe on two pieces of leather and attached with the lacing. On the Henry sheath I just ran some long single laces through the holes and then did the lace stitching.

If you do get into it be sure to get a lace maker, you'd be surprised at how much lace you can make from a small piece of leather. Tandy shop should have them, be sure to get extra blades, they don't work very well when dull.

https://www.amazon.com/Tandy-Leather-Cr ... er+leather

0 x