Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

MEA CULPA!! New BBS .357 Failure to Feed Is On ME

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: New BBS .357 Failure to Feed

Post by Mags » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:02 am

That nose up behavior was one of the symptoms I also saw, though not included in my comments in the 'landed topic' topic http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... =10#p64373
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: MEA CULPA!! New BBS .357 Failure to Feed Is On ME

Post by ESquared » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:28 am

Changed the title of this thread to assign appropriate accountability.

Thanks to a few of you - JEBar and GFK come to mind - I modified my "action" and began cycling "quickly and with authority" and, much to my chagrin (and relief at the same time), things proceeded just fine. My learning is that if it takes you any more than one second to "rack the slide" (as we say in the 1911 world), you're taking too long.

I feel like an idiot and I apologize for using up valuable bandwidth with my rookie mistake.

Thanks for all you support!
5 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:56 am

happy to hear it .... no apology necessary .... you are not the first (trust me on that one) and you almost certainly won't be the last .... down the road, I have little doubt that you will be able to pass on the benefit of your experience to others who will have the same issue.... in addition, should it ever become necessary :? , you will find it much easier to fend off an Indian attack .. :lol:
2 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:01 am

Mistake :?: :!: :?:
Q: How would you have known since this is your first lever-action rifle :?:
ESquared wrote:I feel like an idiot and I apologize for using up valuable bandwidth with my rookie mistake.
Thanks for all you support!
3 x

~Пока~

Lyman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Lyman » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:26 pm

I was a kid when I got my first lever action rifle. Every time I would try to shoot it it would jam. My Father would take the gun from me and shoot it with zero issues.
Together we found that I was babying the action too much. Never had another problem after that day. I can relate to this just like it was yesterday. Don't even think of apologizing.
We ALL have our first time issues at things.
2 x
NRA & 2nd Amendment Supporter. Lyman is my middle name.

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:00 pm

Live and learn! Thanks again for all your kind words and understanding.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:37 pm

Great! And, I think the others have summed it up. I did a similar thing a couple of years ago. I even had a gunsmith look at my Marlin. He gave it back and state that he could not find anything wrong. I expressed my dismay on a Marlin forum and received the stay guidance: cycle the lever firmly. Since then, all has been well. And just in case you have not been told yet, lever action rifles seem to multiply. Like Lay's potato chips, it is hard to just have one. Happy shooting!
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:53 pm

Just glad to hear I'm not the first, but one of several before me to have fallen prey to the rookie mistake! I was THIS close to taking mine into my smithy this morning until you piped up, so thanks again!
And, don't think I haven't been shopping the Henry website! Just don't know what my next one would/should be. Maybe a rimfire of some sort? I dunno. Have lots to do with the one I just picked up YESTERDAY before I go down that path too seriously, but I'm prone to the addiction.
Just ask my Sigs and 1911s!
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:19 pm

ESquared wrote:Just glad to hear I'm not the first, but one of several before me to have fallen prey to the rookie mistake! I was THIS close to taking mine into my smithy this morning until you piped up, so thanks again!
And, don't think I haven't been shopping the Henry website! Just don't know what my next one would/should be. Maybe a rimfire of some sort? I dunno. Have lots to do with the one I just picked up YESTERDAY before I go down that path too seriously, but I'm prone to the addiction.
Just ask my Sigs and 1911s!
:)
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).