Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Born On Date?

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Born On Date?

Post by ESquared » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:29 pm

Does the hang tag on a new Henry BBS, with all the date info as far as test firing, checking for ammo, etc., have any correlation to the date that the rifle was actually assembled/manufactured? Or can that be determined only through deciphering or decoding the Serial Number? Or is there another way to find out? Or do I just call Henry with my S/N and ask?
Just a carry-over from all the Sigs I've owned. For the past many years, the exact born-on date is on the label on the factory hard case.
Thanks in advance for any guidance!
8-)
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Born On Date?

Post by PT7 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:41 pm

You hit the answer in your question, ESquared.
ESquared wrote:Does the hang tag on a new Henry BBS, with all the date info as far as test firing, checking for ammo, etc., have any correlation to the date that the rifle was actually assembled/manufactured? Or can that be determined only through deciphering or decoding the Serial Number? Or is there another way to find out? Or do I just call (or email) Henry with my S/N and ask
Just a carry-over from all the Sigs I've owned. For the past many years, the exact born-on date is on the label on the factory hard case.
Thanks in advance for any guidance!
8-)
0 x

~Пока~

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:47 am

How accurate of a date do you need? Firearms don’t sit around for months, weeks or even days to be given a birth certificate after the final assembly.

I’ve always thought the date tested was the date of birth.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Lyman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Lyman » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:59 am

I'd like to meet this woman that gives birth to Henry Rifles.
0 x
NRA & 2nd Amendment Supporter. Lyman is my middle name.

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:18 am

I have the "birth dates" of my Henrys logged down, simply because I'm a numbers person. It's just fun to know. I emailed Henry on each of my rifles, and was given the date, which HRA uses.

I decided to look at one of the final inspection tags I have. It's for my SGC. I never thought about the final inspection date before.
And I never thought to ask Henry how that birth date was determined for their records.
~~~The SGC's inspection tag was dated 10/29/15.
~~~I emailed Henry for the SGC's "birth date." They provided this statement: "The production date on that rifle was 10/29/15.

Got a match here! :)
Sir Henry wrote:How accurate of a date do you need? Firearms don’t sit around for months, weeks or even days to be given a birth certificate after the final assembly.

I’ve always thought the date tested was the date of birth.
0 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:12 pm

I've occasionally *_wondered_* if the test fire date was the birthday. Nice to know it is so.

As far as the difference between final assembly and test we can only speculate (do we care? Nah)

It might be near real time if the final assembler is also the person doing the test fire or if they have enough testers to keep up with the assembly line. I could imagine that vacations or illness might created a backed up queue at outgoing test for days or weeks). Or maybe Henry runs a start stop production line where they build up a bunch of product ahead, a week, 2 weeks, a month, whatever, and then have the final assemblers test each others guns. Who knows how Henry really runs their production line.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:31 pm

Mags wrote:I've occasionally *_wondered_* if the test fire date was the birthday. Nice to know it is so.

As far as the difference between final assembly and test we can only speculate (do we care? Nah)

It might be near real time if the final assembler is also the person doing the test fire or if they have enough testers to keep up with the assembly line. I could imagine that vacations or illness might created a backed up queue at outgoing test for days or weeks). Or maybe Henry runs a start stop production line where they build up a bunch of product ahead, a week, 2 weeks, a month, whatever, and then have the final assemblers test each others guns. Who knows how Henry really runs their production line.
"Not so fast," as the saying goes. My hangtag dates were all May 16, 2018. I emailed Henry this morning with my query and got an answer just few moments ago. Turns out the Manufacture Date was May 8, 2018. May late mother's birthday, so there's a nice remembrance!

So, as it turns out, it would seem that they manufacture "over here" and do the final inspections, test firing, packaging, etc., "over there."

Good to know, in its own way, huh?
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:42 pm

Sure, and a fun academic discussion to boot.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:07 pm

Wish I had more than the one final inspection tag from my SGC. I'd like to compare my Big Boy tag with the born date Henry emailed to me on that rifle.

It was interesting to come up with a "match," per SH's suggestion/thinking. ESquared's date info, however, brings us to a discussion point now really academic! ;)
0 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:03 am

My inspection tag is dated 08-11-2017. I'm assuming that corresponds with the last check - packaging inspection. There are 4 check items preprinted on the tag. On the back there is a lock bar inspection sticker. Also looks like the LGS logged it into their inventory 11-16-2017 per their sticker on the Henry box. I bought it 03-25-2018.
0 x