BBS, .357 Has Landed!

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: BBS, .357 Has Landed!

Post by ESquared » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:41 pm

GFK wrote:
ESquared wrote:
GFK wrote:Hum. That doesn't seem good to me. If you are loading to Henry's stated limit (10 is max I think), I would contact Henry. You have already cleaned and inspected it. So, all should be clear; I suspect. I guess you could double check your work. But, I would still consider contacting Henry.
Good point of distinction, as all my issues this morning were after loading just 5 rounds, as that was the set of groupings I was tracking. If I'd loaded all 10, I'd have lost track for sure!

So, maybe I'll go back to square one and load up all 10 and see what happens...
I assume the answer is yes. But, I will mention it. My Marlin seemed to jam when I first got it. It was my first lever action. Since then, I have learned that lever actions like to be cycled with purpose. No babying allowed. So, no more jamming after I started to cycle the lever fully and like I meant it (firmly). Just a thought.
And it's a great thought. I'm going to load it up again tomorrow AM first thing (before I call Henry) and see if I can be more manly about this whole thing. No babying allowed.
Here's hoping it's just the usual "operator error."
Wouldn't be the first time.
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

MadCityJack
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by MadCityJack » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:15 pm

I put a Skinner Peep sight with a tall front blade sight. I did a blow by blow of my experience doing it. My last post was today. If interested start at beginning of post:

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 711#p64711
0 x
Henry Steel Carbine 357/38; Skinner Receiver Peep Sight

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:46 pm

Mine appears to be caused by the inner mag tube getting stuck on the rim of shell casings that then forces the first round part way into the receiver and kicking the lever open.
Read my post on how to fix this easily, quickly with no further problems experienced.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:20 pm

Mistered wrote:
Mine appears to be caused by the inner mag tube getting stuck on the rim of shell casings that then forces the first round part way into the receiver and kicking the lever open.
Read my post on how to fix this easily, quickly with no further problems experienced.
That the same discussion we had back in April?
http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... =20#p60061

For me wasn't a permanent fix. I'm annoyed with the problem, but not yet to the point of sending it to Henry for service.
It may be my imagination, but the cant over of the follower seems like it has gotten worse. Feels like it might be getting to the point it might pop out past the crimp stop. Did you further your idea of machining your own follower design?
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:35 am

That the same discussion we had back in April?
It appears it was - I discussed this with many!
It may be my imagination, but the cant over of the follower seems like it has gotten worse.
This is the perplexing part. As long as the follower is free and when the tube is removed for cleaning and you are careful not to 'bend' the follower over it should for the most part stay in place. While there is movement back and forth as long as it is free and retracts smoothly the movement shouldn't be much of an issue.
I am wondering however IF Henry was trying to keep the size and weight down they 'scrimped' in this area and made the load tube too thin and they are not holding up? Just a guess though - I wonder if anybody else is having this problem?
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:31 pm

Interesting observation.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:57 pm

Another thought I had was Henry MAY have designed the EXTERIOR load tube a few thou too small and when the INTERIOR tube is inserted and meets the rim of the cases the clearance between the rim of the case and the wall of the tube possibly being too tight is further reduced by the now inserted inner tube and and the result being there is simply not enough space for the cases to move enough for the inner tube to clear them adequately. My suggestion of beveling the inner tube mouth provides a slight taper to align the case to allow it to get it over rim. I think we are dealing with tolerances that are a bit too tight. But hey this is just my 2c worth.....
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:25 am

Ya, I don't know maybe. When the Henry was still new the first three 5-round reloads I didn't have any trouble with. The mag tube hang up on case rims became progressively worse (more frequent) with each reload after that. I got some reprieve for a while when I did the slight taper you suggested. But problem came back. I have to work the inner mag tub in and out while twisting back and forth and most of the time when it finally goes all the way in the lever kicks open and I find that the first round in the tube has been pushed part or all the way into the receiver. When it happens part way, attempting to close the lever the elevator jams on the round. I've used 3 different ammo brands and snap caps. I'm wondering more if the outer mag tube has actually expanded slightly with use due to heat, allowing the rounds to stack up in the tube catty whom-pus, in a slight zig/zag arrangement, that allows the case rims to be more exposed to catching on the inner mag tube rim during insertion. Then, additionally, maybe the cant wobble in the follower exasperates how the rounds might not be lining up straight enough. I've considered putting a dimple in the end of the follower about the size of a bullet tip. That way when the follower engages the bullet tip the follower is held centered and straight and not canted over to one side as the mag tube spring compresses. Anyway, my nickels worth of musing.

We should move this to another topic. We've (or I've) hijacked Esquared's topic with this mess.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:49 am

Try this - remove your inner load tube and Push the follower in with a round of ammo then with a cleaning rod carefully push in The round slowly up the tube until it compresses the spring and bottoms out. Make sure it is smooth on its way to the top with no hang ups or rough spots. If there ARE any rough spots or hesitation the tube will need to be cleaned until smooth. When I beveled my tube and cleaned it the cleaning may have been the bigger part of the problem as I got a lot if junk out of it - but had already beveled the mouth of the tube first (which was also a part of it's improvement) In an extreme case the spring and plug may have to be removed so the interior of the tube can be exposed for inspection but mine cleaned up ok without removing the spring - but I still plan to when I give my Henry a complete tear down for cleaning & tuning.
And PLEASE - nobody jump on the 'Call Henry and they will send you a new tube' or 'Send it back and they will fix it' bandwagon - because even if they DID send a new tube it would most likely need a good cleaning also.
This I believe is a little design 'glitch' that needs to be 'lived' with - but with ensuring the tube is clean and smooth (inside and out) it can be negated - as I did with mine to essentially 100% , problem free loading.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:15 am

Part of the problem, lever popping open with mag tube jammed loading. In reading one of the older topics on this loading issue there was mention that when one of our other members got his rifle back from Henry his repair tag indicated that a new anti-popping lever replaced the original. Given my Henry is quite a bit newer than when that post was made to the forum, I would have thought the newer rifles, mine included, would come have come with the anti-popping lever. Thoughts?
0 x