Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

BBS, .357 Has Landed!

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: BBS, .357 Has Landed!

Post by GFK » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:26 pm

Mags wrote:Part of the problem, lever popping open with mag tube jammed loading. In reading one of the older topics on this loading issue there was mention that when one of our other members got his rifle back from Henry his repair tag indicated that a new anti-popping lever replaced the original. Given my Henry is quite a bit newer than when that post was made to the forum, I would have thought the newer rifles, mine included, would come have come with the anti-popping lever. Thoughts?
I do not know how long the lever pop out issue has been around. I have a H009 with a birth date in September of 2015. I put it in lay-a-way (new) in September 2017. Picked it up for Christmas and sent it back for cleaning (copper in barrel). Can back with a new lever (copper still in the barrel). But, it still popped out during loading of a particular brand of ammo (don't recall the brand). Yet, the issue went away when I smoothed the rim of the inner tube with 600 grit of paper. I have only shot about 80 rounds through it though. So, the issue may raise its head as time goes on. Nonetheless, I hoping to get some shooting in this weekend.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:33 pm

Birth date on mine is mid August 2017. I had noticed the copper fouling on mine too. Commented on that in another topic. I had put maybe 20 rounds through when I did the first cleaning, thinking I had lousy ammo. Didn't know at the time that Henry didn't clean after their test firing. I think I remember your post where you used your index finger with the sand paper on your inner tube. I did that too and as I said above got immediate improvement that seems to have been temporary. I've also have only shot about 80 rounds. Maybe 60 since sanding the inner lip of the inner mag tube.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:28 pm

Thoughts?
My thoughts are boys and girls, is the load tube/lever pop issue is probably going to plague some more than others and it may have to be lived with because I haven't read too much about it getting resolved by those who have sent their rifles back to the factory.
I have owned a LOT of guns, new and used, and more than a few have had some issue or problem I had to deal with.
No gun is perfect (well except maybe no or low dash pre-lock Smith & Wessons) but some are going to have inherent issues due to design or other reasons and Henry is no exception.
Get those load tubes clean (inner and outer) bevel the mouth of the inner tube and hopefully you can reduce or eliminate the problem entirely. A complete tear down of the rifle for an intensive cleaning and an inspection for any burrs or other metal issues and polishing of all internals is highly recommended also - mine will be getting it soon!
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:35 pm

Mistered wrote:... it may have to be lived with because I haven't read too much about it getting resolved by those who have sent their rifles back...
it may have to be lived with... That has been my frame of mind too and why I haven't sent mine in for service so far.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:38 am

It can be, and that is why it is a backup for now and target practice.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:12 pm

Not to worry about highjacking, I've been following along with interest. So far, I've had none of the load tube/lever pop you guys have been writing about. I've cleaned out the magazine tube a couple of times and I Flitz the rod about every other range trip to keep things slippery.

But, on the other hand, I've also been doing mostly 5-shot groups, so I've rarely had the mag tube loaded to full capacity. Will have to do that a couple of times this coming week and make sure I don't get any "lever pop."
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:45 pm

ESquared wrote:... and I Flitz the rod about every other range trip to keep things slippery.

... make sure I don't get any "lever pop."
I saw a tube of Flitz in the background of one of your pictures. Couldn't make out which Flitz product I saw there. There are many Flitz products, which are you using?

I hold the rifle upside down with my left hand fingers gripping the stock neck through the lever ring. That holds it closed while insert/twisting the inner mag tube with my right hand. The lever doesn't pop open gripping it that way, but sometimes it takes a lot of twisting and moving the inner mag tube part way in and out to get the tube past the ammo rims in the tube.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:51 pm

ESquared wrote:Not to worry about highjacking, I've been following along with interest. So far, I've had none of the load tube/lever pop you guys have been writing about. I've cleaned out the magazine tube a couple of times and I Flitz the rod about every other range trip to keep things slippery.

But, on the other hand, I've also been doing mostly 5-shot groups, so I've rarely had the mag tube loaded to full capacity. Will have to do that a couple of times this coming week and make sure I don't get any "lever pop."

we have 3 centerfire Henry Rifles .... the only issue related to load tube/lever pop was caused by operator error .. :oops: .. once that was corrected, no other issues whatsoever
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:03 pm

JEBar wrote: the only issue related to load tube/lever pop was caused by operator error .. :oops: .. once that was corrected, no other issues whatsoever
Ummm, operator error how so?
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:24 pm

failure to drop 45-70 bullets into the tube at the proper angle
0 x