Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

howdy and quick question

bmsma
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: howdy and quick question

Post by bmsma » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:47 pm

Whiteman AFB is on 50 heading east out of KC about a hour or so, between warrensburg & sedalia, back then when i had a bit of time i spent it on the back of 2 wheels and there is a awesome riding in all of missouri. back then my wifes parents "ex now" lived in unionville, that why the oldest sons is up there, but i spent alot of time in the timber right south of the iowa line. this was back before the big hog operations moved in. You can head east from sedalia towards jeff city and then down to lake of the ozarks and man watching a sunrise come up from over the hills with a light mist will bring peace to the soul.

i have never gotten to go back east to speak of but pics ive seen from Kentucky and Virginia remind me of the same.. we head over to joplin and south into ark sometime and its the same feeling. i have also wanted to see montana idaho someday but the wife has this thing about snow its almost like she is allergic :)

i have been up north twice in my life, once to the Harley Davidson museum in Milwaukee, and i would tell anyone that is into anything mechanical not just bikes that museum is worth the time,

the other time wasnt really all that fun, i was TDY while in the AF to MINOT Nd, in Feb 1999, i just cant put into words that kind of cold. my hats off to anyone that lives there. the people up there are awesome friendly though
0 x
Troy Jones
N Oklahoma,

1/2 of a old hippy couple just trying to enjoy life.
proud son of a WWII Veteran, Proud Father of a Veteran, Veteran USAF 85-92

ride safe, ride free, never forget those who paid for our freedom

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:45 pm

Sure do have a travelogue going here. Lots of years and miles behind, with a lot of great places that were seen/visited.

I did my boot training at Lackland AFB in San Antonio back in 1969 (yup, a few years ago for sure). Mentioning the Air Force, you reminded me that Whiteman is not that far from me....should get out there sometime maybe this summer. I used to bike when we first lived in KS (on a Honda CB950), but no longer drive one. MO roads would be fun to travel, and the Lake of the Ozarks would definitely be a go-to-destination!

Spot-on, Troy ---> "...man watching a sunrise come up from over the hills with a light mist will bring peace to the soul."

I was born/raised "up north" in some pretty solidly cold & snow country. Most early years were in northern IL. Also some later years in southern WI. In fact, I lived not too far south of Milwaukee....also had relatives there. You're not a joshin' at all....Harley-Davidson is the motorcycle presence in that state! There was quite an impressive store/shop in Kenosha, too. Came real close to getting me one of those 883 Sportsters, but never happened due to life needs.

It was definitely cold in Kenosha, WI. We lived only 40 blocks west of the Lake Michigan shore, and the winter wind crossing that lake from the north was very stiff & chilling. I used to leave for work around 5am, and remember some "brisk" early morning winds and snow there. Actually, I really liked it. Used to just stand between the house and garage and breathe in fresh! My wife would have preferred to live in central FL.....we were definitely opposites. So our place here in KCMO was a good compromise that still has some winter remnants of the north, but more leaning toward the warm side of things. She always liked KS and MO.

I'll quit my travels down the cold and hot spots of memory lane for today. It's been a pleasure.
Take care.
PT7

bmsma wrote:Whiteman AFB is on 50 heading east out of KC about a hour or so, between warrensburg & sedalia, back then when i had a bit of time i spent it on the back of 2 wheels and there is a awesome riding in all of missouri. back then my wifes parents "ex now" lived in unionville, that why the oldest sons is up there, but i spent alot of time in the timber right south of the iowa line. this was back before the big hog operations moved in. You can head east from sedalia towards jeff city and then down to lake of the ozarks and man watching a sunrise come up from over the hills with a light mist will bring peace to the soul.

i have never gotten to go back east to speak of but pics ive seen from Kentucky and Virginia remind me of the same.. we head over to joplin and south into ark sometime and its the same feeling. i have also wanted to see montana idaho someday but the wife has this thing about snow its almost like she is allergic :)

i have been up north twice in my life, once to the Harley Davidson museum in Milwaukee, and i would tell anyone that is into anything mechanical not just bikes that museum is worth the time,

the other time wasnt really all that fun, i was TDY while in the AF to MINOT Nd, in Feb 1999, i just cant put into words that kind of cold. my hats off to anyone that lives there. the people up there are awesome friendly though
0 x

~Пока~

bmsma
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by bmsma » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:30 pm

PT7 wrote:Sure do have a travelogue going here. Lots of years and miles behind, with a lot of great places that were seen/visited.

I did my boot training at Lackland AFB in San Antonio back in 1969 (yup, a few years ago for sure). Mentioning the Air Force, you reminded me that Whiteman is not that far from me....should get out there sometime maybe this summer. I used to bike when we first lived in KS (on a Honda CB950), but no longer drive one. MO roads would be fun to travel, and the Lake of the Ozarks would definitely be a go-to-destination!

Spot-on, Troy ---> "...man watching a sunrise come up from over the hills with a light mist will bring peace to the soul."

I was born/raised "up north" in some pretty solidly cold & snow country. Most early years were in northern IL. Also some later years in southern WI. In fact, I lived not too far south of Milwaukee....also had relatives there. You're not a joshin' at all....Harley-Davidson is the motorcycle presence in that state! There was quite an impressive store/shop in Kenosha, too. Came real close to getting me one of those 883 Sportsters, but never happened due to life needs.

It was definitely cold in Kenosha, WI. We lived only 40 blocks west of the Lake Michigan shore, and the winter wind crossing that lake from the north was very stiff & chilling. I used to leave for work around 5am, and remember some "brisk" early morning winds and snow there. Actually, I really liked it. Used to just stand between the house and garage and breathe in fresh! My wife would have preferred to live in central FL.....we were definitely opposites. So our place here in KCMO was a good compromise that still has some winter remnants of the north, but more leaning toward the warm side of things. She always liked KS and MO.

I'll quit my travels down the cold and hot spots of memory lane for today. It's been a pleasure.
Take care.
PT7

bmsma wrote:Whiteman AFB is on 50 heading east out of KC about a hour or so, between warrensburg & sedalia, back then when i had a bit of time i spent it on the back of 2 wheels and there is a awesome riding in all of missouri. back then my wifes parents "ex now" lived in unionville, that why the oldest sons is up there, but i spent alot of time in the timber right south of the iowa line. this was back before the big hog operations moved in. You can head east from sedalia towards jeff city and then down to lake of the ozarks and man watching a sunrise come up from over the hills with a light mist will bring peace to the soul.

Lackland afb 1984 Aug-Sep
Chanute AFB, il "no longer there " tech school till may 85, 411x0a minuteman missle system electro-mechanical tech
Whitmen AFB mo, 85-92
0 x
Troy Jones
N Oklahoma,

1/2 of a old hippy couple just trying to enjoy life.
proud son of a WWII Veteran, Proud Father of a Veteran, Veteran USAF 85-92

ride safe, ride free, never forget those who paid for our freedom

steelersfan97
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by steelersfan97 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:26 pm

I didn't read every post here and I am sure it has been mentioned....the 45 Colt is a much more expensive round to shoot than the 357. I doubt there is much difference recoil in the two of them.
0 x
H006M, H015-223